IGNORED

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Gameplay Trailer post#123

moosegrinder

Ok I finally took the Jackdaw out yesterday for an hour I was crap, more practice needed in the ship battles. I was ok with the smaller ships but they have no metal on them, once I come up against a brig I get torn to shreds.

Ok I finally took the Jackdaw out yesterday for an hour I was crap, more practice needed in the ship battles. I was ok with the smaller ships but they have no metal on them, once I come up against a brig I get torn to shreds.

Use all the money you've collected so far to upgrade as much as possible. Get hull armour, heavy shot and mortar - suddenly the combat is fun fun fun!

Also, I've decided that I definitely agree with all the people saying that this is the best AC game so far. After 3 I was ready for the entire series to end and be put out of its tedious misery, but after Black Flag I'm more excited about seeing what they're going to do next than ever before. Whoever said "let's make it a pirate game and cut all the tedious parts of the older AC games down to a minimum!" at Ubisoft needs to remain in charge the AC franchise.

There is a crazy trick to ship combat, which kinda ruins it, so much so that I will put it in spoiler tags, read at risk to your own fun!

When in combat with multiple ships - cripple little ones first as it's very easy, as the bigger ones damage you, board the little ones which "pauses" the main battle and then you can use them to repair your ship, then carry on with battering the bigger ship, repair off the next little one etc. It is so daft and cheeky but it works, sadly.

That may have been posted earlier but yeah, kinda daft, I tried to avoid doing it where ever possible.

So if I want to fire my heavy shot I shoot left or right without aiming using the L trigger, right?

If I aim, that will fire the 'standard' shot, correct? A bit annoying it doesn't seem to mention that in the in - game help section

So if I want to fire my heavy shot I shoot left or right without aiming using the L trigger, right?

If I aim, that will fire the 'standard' shot, correct? A bit annoying it doesn't seem to mention that in the in - game help section

Yep that's exactly it. You can tell because the heavy shot is extremely short ranged and it's all heated and fiery.

The cove upgrades are pretty hilarious, especially when you shell out 15,000 reales for the privilege of hiring dancers for free. Given that a group of dancers costs 150 to hire, that is never going to pay for itself. :lol:

This is what I need to figure out what combination of buttons fires what, will play a bit more this evening.

Having reached near the ending I agree only to the fact that this better than AC3. Everything else seems so archaic I can't believe it.

The mission design is really bad, the combat too, the stealth is beyond ridiculous, I mean, how can these excite people about the next chapter?

Granted the ship gameplay is refreshing and often impressive, but the general heart of the game, the actual mechanics, feel like a relic from the past with very little improvement.

Well, just wanted to say my thing. Don't let me spoil the thread for those who are enjoying it. Obviously I can't enjoy the series any more. :(

It doesn't really feel clunky to me. There have been certain missions that have felt weird (follow the target, if you're spotted you de-sync) but otherwise there's often large open areas, a target to identify, and then you're left to do what you like in so far as how you take enemies down - stealth, guns, swords. I'd agree if anyone said that it was shallow - in that there's no real depth to the combat and the AI is basically non-existant. But it feels fluid and well paced to me, and it's fun. Then again, aside from a couple of hours on AC and AC2, I've never played the series. What is ridiculous about the stealth? The AI? I guess that would be true. But I play with the HUD off, I don't use eagle vision - and in that sense the stealth seems pretty cool in that there are places to hide, places to sneak up on enemies, sleep darts. It seems really satisfying working through a whole area without being spotted.

Finally obtained the Jackdaw last night. Hurrah. It's only got one bar of "health" and I've no idea how to fix it, presumably this is something that will unlock after more missions.

Are the coordinates on treasure maps meant to be precise or just a guide? I got a map showing treasure that is buried among some palm trees but the actual coordinates are just ocean.

C'mon now, the mechanics do seem pretty archaic.Coming to it off GTA V it is a bit clunky.

For what it is doing I think the controls work really well. It's only if you are trying to run around everywhere in a rush without thinking that they start to let you down and your character starts attempting to climb any surface in sight. Bit of a more thoughtful approach and it controls wonderfully for me.

Still finding material to upgrade my hull for second time hard to come by, even though I have raided a few warehouses now.

Did however take down my first fort last night, even though the game warned me before I did it I should upgrade my ship first. Was bloody tough though.

So much to do in the game, it's scarey. The drought will serve this game well I feel.

Are the coordinates on treasure maps meant to be precise or just a guide? I got a map showing treasure that is buried among some palm trees but the actual coordinates are just ocean.

They're usually fairly precise but a couple of them seem oddly misplaced. There's one map - for an area much later in the game than you're at just now - which points to co-ordinates just to the west of an island and I can't find anything on the island in question that matches the map, so that confused me mightily for a while until I just gave up on it.

The free running and combat in AC4 are better than previous iterations. Just that little bit more responsive and smoother.

I can't get enough of the new "Parkour video" leap to a lower area, where he tucks his legs in and does that thing with his hands.

For what it is doing I think the controls work really well. It's only if you are trying to run around everywhere in a rush without thinking that they start to let you down and your character starts attempting to climb any surface in sight. Bit of a more thoughtful approach and it controls wonderfully for me.

This is how I feel too. I've started walking around a bit more (usually when in towns), lowering the pace, instead of charging around and bumping into things. With this change of approach and with the HUD off, I'm really enjoying the exploration. I'll be honest, as a newcomer to the series I've found the controls to be quite nice. The way that he moves within a crowd (brushing people aside rather than hitting them), the nice analogue movement. It's very fluid. I've gone from playing the Witcher to this, and as good as that game is, the character movement there is what I'd call archaic - rubbish NPC collision detection, stilted movement etc. I'm struggling to see what people mean when they describe it as archaic or clunky - compared to other games it feels like an improvement.

I think the mechanics are fine but they've definitely stayed the same since basically AC2 (with variations and evolutions). The next game - the one that won't be a cross-generation release - is apparently going to rebuild the free-running and combat engines from the bottom up, according to some recent interviews.

I'll believe a non-cross-generation release when I see it. I'm expecting 2015, not 2014.

It is a bit clunky. But I think if they made it less, then it would be too hard to decide where you were trying to go. Maybe if they considered velocity when deciding whether to climb things that are at acute angles to you.

But it is wonderfully atmospheric. I just got away from Havanna and I now really like it. The cut scenes are actually good which I don't think I've seen in a modern game before, and the characters seem pretty good too. Nice one!