rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vemsie

Daylight - new indie UE4 horror

This sounds pretty interesting. A new horror title featuring a procedurally-generated environment. You don't have any guns to defend yourself, your main tool is your cell phone. It's also one of the first games announced that uses Unreal Engine 4 and comes out on PC later this year.

What might be of interest to some but Mr. Woo in particular is that the creative director worked on the first two F.E.A.R. games and Condemned for Monolith. As for the real kicker, the game is written by Jessica Chobot. Yes, that Jessica Chobot.

Still, it sounds good. Polygon has a story up:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/7/3965608/daylight-is-unreal-engine-4s-first-frightening-game

daylight_007.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Is supposedly going to cost under $20 too, I suppose the procedural generation is helping keep costs down. Hard to tell if it's using the SVOGI solution as some unsourced rumours mentioned they had had to drop that feature, which would be so disappointing if true.

ZPObEhy.jpg

1G88xOF.jpg

YMp2fQP.jpg

This sounds pretty interesting. A new horror title featuring a procedurally-generated environment. You don't have any guns to defend yourself, your main tool is your cell phone. It's also one of the first games announced that uses Unreal Engine 4 and comes out on PC later this year.

What might be of interest to some but Mr. Woo in particular is that the creative director worked on the first two F.E.A.R. games and Condemned for Monolith. As for the real kicker, the game is written by Jessica Chobot. Yes, that Jessica Chobot.

Still, it sounds good. Polygon has a story up:

http://www.polygon.c...rightening-game

Yeah Zombie Studios are based in Seattle and I believe some ex Monolith staff have been working their for a while. I know one of the creative guys, Jared Gerritzen, was an ex Monolith dude. Unfortunately one of the games he was involved in was Blacklight Tango Down, one of the worst Live Arcade games I've ever bought :lol: However Blacklight Retribution is pretty decent and Special Team Forces X is bloody marvellous so they've made some decent stuff.

Still, I'm hopeful and they're making this on their own terms with it being funded by themselves. I'm guessing Blacklight Retribution is making them a tidy sum and letting them pursue other games which is good.

I admit the hands look a bit crap, but everything else looks and sounds pretty promising. Outlast looks nice as well.

Now if only Mikami would unveil Zwei...

Really good interview and article on Polygon about Jessica Chobot, how Daylight came to be and how the internet will not let the PSP licking photo go. The comments are also a good read as well, shame those on other forums aren't quite so good.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/9/13/4661472/jessica-chobot-daylight

I just came to the thread to post that exact thing. I wasn't sure where to post it, but this seemed the most appropriate place. Polygon is actually knocking out some really good articles recently.

Good luck to her, must be difficult to achieve credibility in her situation. But I suppose that's the reality of the industry. I think it'd be great if she delivered a swift kick to the balls of her detractors.

Yeah, good luck to her. Sounds like she's had a pretty rough and unsettled few years. New marriage, new baby, just needs a break to get a solid foot in to a career that she enjoys (and which pays the bills), and it's all good.

She was the first in an increasing line of fairly attractive ladies that talk about games, admittedly (usually) know their stuff but nonetheless capitalise on the fact they're females in a male dominated arena. I mean, Jeff Gershtman or whatever his name is wouldn't be famous if he'd licked a PSP.

She became famous for licking a PSP and loads of manvirgins hate her cos she is everything they secretly desire but repress in a fit of Warcraft.

And if anyone needs any reminding

hjchTjh.gif

• Upvote 1

Hmmm I bought this for £7.99 and played about an hour. Video is uploading as we speak. First impressions are that it's quite immersive but a little dull and repetitive. Definitely not as good as Outlast in terms of horror but still an OK investment for a few hours.

Wow, Patrick had to fast forward about 5 - 10 mins because the game wanted him to find an object which was horribly tucked away in some crate. Engaging!

Cheap jump scares, repeating hallways, no atmosphere, exposition through notes scattered throughout the game (I hate that shit with a passion, lazy design), poor visuals and assets, etc..

This looks baaaaaaaaad.

It's pretty damn mediocre from what I played of it. The thing about it is that it isn't scary or even atmospheric in the slightest, at least to me. I was playing it last night/this morning at 2am with headphones on and you'd think that would be the optimal way to play it but it didn't really effect me at all. Even the jump scares weren't that effective. I then turned it off and put on Dark Souls 2 and went to The Gutter/Black Gulch again, now THAT's atmospheric in comparison.