IGNORED

Gin

Gotters

I see Chase are doing a couple of gins now, one with seville oranges or something like that.

Working my way through a bottle of chase Williams gin right now. It's delicious, really smooth and kinda appley.

Had a sniff of the Seville orange one in the shop, smells good but not sure what you'd drink it with.

• 3 months later...

I have recently discovered the joy of Plymouth Gin after spending many months on Aldi's London Gin (which is surprisingly good). I went off Tanqueray a bit, it seems rather too citrus-y for my liking, and whilst I love Hendricks I'm buggered if I'm spending £28 a bottle.

Where do you get that Sacred stuff from, then?

Perkin reveller at Tower of London for creative gin cocktails

Sadly I don't think this is the case any more.

Time will tell whether the new bar manager will make a mark. But Jeremy has left and with him, the long creative cocktail list. Last I saw the cocktail list was a disappointing one pager. It seems to me that they're accepting that perkin wasn't going to really get enough trade from cocktail enthusiasts compared to its banker types and Tower tourists which is a real shame but when you analyse it from a business point of view I can kind of understand.

I mean they might have said that after Jeremy left I don't know.

Right now he's working in another bar, can't remember where but this is a meantime thing while he works on setting up a new bar of which he'll be the manager. When that opens, I imagine all the creative flair of perkin's old list is going to be in that place and hopefully will get the recognition as a decent cocktail bar that Jeremy deserves.

Got a bottle of Sacred and also one of D1, which I've not tried before.

Also pretty set for spiced rum now: got a bottle each of Kraken, Chairman's Reserve Spiced, and Old J.

Did you rate the Sacred? I work near Highgate so am considering picking up a bottle for someone I know who loves gin.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd got myself a "posh G&T" weekend lined up last week and ordered a some Henricks and Fever Tree tonic from Ocado. It didn't turn out well and I think I somehow got a dodgy batch of Hendricks as it smelled a bit weird, tasted funny and I felt absolutely twatted after only half a glass.

Next day I thought I might have just had a funny turn so went to have another go but when I poured the gin into the glass the strange smell was there again and my brain said "do not drink this".

That was £30 well spent.

If you want posh G&T, sack off Hendricks and Fever Tree.

Fentimans Tonic is the best from supermarkets.

then you are going to want to look for something like tanqueray 10 or Martin Millers for the gin, pour in a double measure and then add a splash of tonic to begin with, you can add more but personally I prefer to taste the gin.

Next, and this is important so don't skip this step, order some Unwaxed Amalfi Lemons, Ocado sell them.

Use a peeler to take a big long stripe off the lemon from pole to pole, twist that over the glass to release the oils, wipe it round the rim and then drop it in.

Now tell me that isn't the best gin and tonic you've ever had.

I got some of those lemons for my posh weekend :( I'll try again next month, that Tanqueray stuff is only a couple of quid more than the Hendricks. Thanks for the tip(s).

It's a shame there's literally nothing you can do about that.

I know, I'm stuck with a very expensive useless bottle now and it'll probably put me off Hendricks for a while.

My wife randomly got a couple of bottles of gin for Christmas, despite neither of us ever having drunk it before. Having tried it she decided it wasn't her drink, so I threw myself on the grenade as any loving husband would.

So I've polished off the first bottle (Williams) and I'm half way through the second (Gordons). I'm sure they're the gin equivalent of Bells whisky but I'm enjoying them.

I only use about a 3rd of a 200ml bottle, with about a triple measure of gin. It depends on the gin though.. something like Junipero would only need a splash but a more assertive gin might benefit from a little more. The Nutura amalfi lemons from Ocado make a huge difference though, the flavour is amazing.

fwiw, Darren, Gordons is bottom of the pile shit gin, and williams is one of the best, it's more than double the price of the gordons and is unique in that it's distilled from cider apples.

I only use about a 3rd of a 200ml bottle, with about a triple measure of gin. It depends on the gin though.. something like Junipero would only need a splash but a more assertive gin might benefit from a little more.  The Nutura amalfi lemons from Ocado make a huge difference though, the flavour is amazing.

fwiw,  Darren, Gordons is bottom of the pile shit gin, and williams is one of the best, it's more than double the price of the gordons and is unique in that it's distilled from cider apples.

It was definitely very nice! But it turns out the current one is Beefeater not Gordons (which shows how much attention I've been paying!)

What's city of London gin like? I bought it because it was cheap in wait rose. If it's shit I'll go and get another bottle.

It's good, quite citrus forward. Works well with a grapefruit twist.

I like it in a Gibson ( or, dirty martini if you prefer olives to onions ) as the citrus pairs well with the salt.

It was definitely very nice! But it turns out the current one is Beefeater not Gordons (which shows how much attention I've been paying!)

I'm not a beefeater fan but it's a step above Gordons, it's quite assertive but not particularly astonishing flavourwise.

I have to give Sacred gin a try when I get the chance, if it's as good as you lot make out.

After having worked in cocktails in the antipodes for a few years, it's really difficult to get my bearings in the world of UK gin outside of the big imported staples that we got down in NZ, such as Tanq 10, Sipsmith, Hendricks, Bombay etc. Tanq 10 had to be one of my favourite imported gins whilst I was there, but I didn't really drink gin much before I left. I feel that I have a lot of catching up to do!

What irks me is that my two favourite gins are pretty much unobtainable in this country, I need to go tasting UK gins until I find local equivalents. My favourite budget gin in New Zealand was this bad boy:

lighthouse-gin.jpg

Lighthouse Gin.

It's a beautiful award-winning New Zealand gin (winning silver in the World Spirits Competition in San Francisco in 2011 and 2012). From the website:

For Lighthouse™ Gin we took pleasure in researching and experimenting with many such botanicals, and, among those finally selected, after several years of trial, are the dried leaves from the unique New Zealand botanicals kawa kawa, together with the fresh zest of New Zealand-grown navel oranges and Yen Ben lemons, the intense-flavoured descendant of the famous Lisbon lemon. These components lend herbal and citrus notes to the gin, distinguishing it from its English and American counterparts.

It is actually sold in New Zealand at a sub-premium price point (think Bombay Sapphire price), unfortunately the only place I've found it here is selling it for just under £36 a bottle. Worth the expense to try if you like gin I think, as it makes the best Negroni I've ever had, the sweet start tends to balance the bitterness of the campari perfectly, and the peppery finish really adds to the overall complexity of the drink. Well worth a try if you're willing to spend the money.

My favourite premium NZ gin was this one here:

Rouge_white(copy)(copy).jpg

Rogue Society.

It's a new gin that only started being distilled just over a year ago, and the owners came into our bar to talk us through the philosophy of the distillery. They're really nice guys, but it helps that this gin is absolutely fantastic. It is quite light and citrusy, but really well balanced. It's quite delicate, so gets lost easily in a bolshy drink like a Negroni or a dirty martini, but it's beautiful neat or in a gin and tonic with an orange twist. In fact, I think a blend of 50 / 50 Rogue Society and tonic with an orange twist is probably my personal favourite gin based cocktail.

Unfortunately after typing all of that, I can't actually find anywhere in Europe or any importers that stock this gin. If you can find something please let me know, I miss it!

I'll try Sacred over the next few weeks and report back, I love a good gin.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I had it at a restaurant. It was served as a G&T with Rosemary syrup and rosemary sprig

Was lovely.

How was your G&T with the City of London Gin?

I like Gin Mare, it's interesting and with the right tonic ( 1724 is a good choice ) it really shines.

I bought home two Gins from Florida, Death's Door which is just Juniper, Coriander and Fennel and St George Terrior, which has Douglas Fir amongst other botanicals. Both are really interesting and unique.

How was your G&T with the City of London Gin?

I like Gin Mare, it's interesting and with the right tonic ( 1724 is a good choice ) it really shines.

I bought home two Gins from Florida, Death's Door which is just Juniper, Coriander and Fennel and St George Terrior, which has Douglas Fir amongst other botanicals. Both are really interesting and unique.

It was lovely. You are right, between a quarter to a third of a bottle of Fentimans Tonic was correct.

I added some orange peel too, and I really enjoyed it. My wife also complemented me on the flavour. It's like night and day compared to Gordons and Schweppes. Genuinely the nicest I've ever made at home.

I might go to Waitrose at lunch and pick up another Gin.

I think they have most of these in the shop:

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse/Groceries/Wine_and_Drinks/Spirits_and_Liqueurs/Gin/refined_by/search_term/gin

Can you recommend me a couple to chose from?