rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

System Shock 2

This thread is relevant to my interests, and I wish to subscribe to its newsletter add it to my "participated in" list.

See.. That's exactly why I didn't want to start the thread ;)

Itching to get stuck into this tonight.. Only booted it up to check it loaded okay and was immediately hit with waves of nostalgia.. and that was just the options menu!

One of the growing handful (as I discover more and more) games that have been critically lauded and yet I've never played. At least with many recent PC-only titles I had the excuse of hardware and/or time.

In 1999, I had both.

Alas, I don't expect to get stuck into this for a few weeks yet.

I'll probably get this on Steam purely because it'll be easier co-ordinating friends lists and so forth for co-op.

Unless I missed out on a huge potential highlight of my youth, there is no co-op?! THERE BETTER NOT BE.

Old game is old.

Thanks for the input - away and worry about the Framerate on the latest Tomb Raider or something and leave us to enjoy a true classic

• Upvote 2

Unless I missed out on a huge potential highlight of my youth, there is no co-op?! THERE BETTER NOT BE.

It was patched in after release, up to 4 player co-op. You all go through training entirely separately then all wake up in the ship wondering what's going on. It's awesome. Me and Alex W. played through most of the game on LAN first time nad it was scary biscuits.

I just wish games would automatically update their graphics or something.

I played the demo back in the day, it was fucking terrifying. I know it's a good game. I'm not saying it's not a good game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Then try to have more input than old game is old.

Aye there is, though steam won't help you with multi. you can add the exe to steam anyway from gog.

I just wish games would automatically update their graphics or something.

I played the demo back in the day, it was fucking terrifying. I know it's a good game. I'm not saying it's not a good game.

there's a pretty simple mod guide which updates a fair amount of the game to look better on modern hardware - however if gog start tampering with the "original" there will also be a fair number of users who would moan that its not the "proper" version. Gog are at least brilliant for posting a mod guide on their forums for most releases for anyone that wants to update with whatever mods are available.

Pleased they kept co-op, although I'd be surprised if it worked over the web and not just a LAN. If they make it work well online in the Steam version I'd be all over that but frankly I might just get this version.

If it was out soon I would think so but I'm hoping the extra time will go into saving me from setting up NAT forwarding.

If anyone hasn't played it yet, do so. The storyline is fantastic.

Glory to the Many!

My friend just bought the game and sent it in a gift to me! Best Valentines Day present Everrrr!

• Upvote 2

Well Ive just modded the shit out of this, installed all the ones recommended by Sie in the first post/GOG thread, and it appears to be running sweet as a nut.

Finally all those people who rave about Bioshock can find out where it stole all its good shit from. Including the story.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, those bastards, stealing all those ideas from, er, themselves...

• Upvote 1

Bioshock was made because the ex-Looking Glass folk wanted to make another System Shock game but EA still had the rights. It's meant to be full of stuff from SS2.