System Shock 2

Wiper

Bioshock was made because the ex-Looking Glass folk wanted to make another System Shock game but EA still had the rights. It's meant to be full of stuff from SS2.

EX-Looking glass people i.e. Irrational Games who worked with Looking Glass on System Shock 2? ;)

I'm a big Bioshock 1 nerd, (just started a playthrough last week in anticipation of Infinite on the awful PC port) so I am massively excited to get my teeth into this game. Considering waiting until it gets on steam though as I'm still ploughing through my Christmas sale back catalogue...

Also, when SS2 came out all the Quake players cried because the guns broke and jammed all the time, so they ended up making a cheat mode with no weapon degradation for people who didn't actually want to play a survival horror game. Load of crybabies if you ask me.

Applies soooo much to Far Cry 2 & 3.

I loved the breaking guns. I was a gunjockey-engineer in co-op and Alex W. was a psi-ops-hacker, so invariably I'd spend all my time harvesting gear to fix guns up and looting bodies for fresh weapons to replace what ruined shitpile we were left with.

I played System Shock on Windows 98 from DOS, when it was still real DOS. I had to do something weird with the zip files to install it, involving pretend floppy disks.

In System Shock, Shodan is a man computer instead of a woman computer. It's like Holly from Red Dwarf. Also, it has the same thing where you find logs on dead bodies that tell the story, but without the voice acting.

The actual gameplay is pretty different.

Yeah, those bastards, stealing all those ideas from, er, themselves...

Yeah I know it's the same people - and it's a good thing. It's just so many game journos who rave about Bioshock don't seem to be even aware that System Shock 2 already exists, and did all the stuff they're raving about years ago. And better as well.

Wiper can you edit the first post about ss2tool? you have to remove a folder and files for it to work properly. From the sys2 forum

Users of the GOG.COM release of System Shock 2 NEED TO DELETE the DataPermanentMods folder and the five dml files (command2.mis.dml, earth.mis.dml, hydro1.mis.dml, hydro2.mis.dml, station.mis.dml) that reside in the System Shock 2 folder BEFORE using the tool!

just add that in there.

And folks you do want to use it to. then add the mods.

Wiper can you edit the first post about ss2tool? you have to remove a folder and files for it to work properly. From the sys2 forum

just add that in there.

And folks you do want to use it to. then add the mods.

Are you sure? I followed all the instructions in the first post without deleting anything and everything seems to have worked. Though the operative word is seems...

Are you sure? I followed all the instructions in the first post without deleting anything and everything seems to have worked. Though the operative word is seems...

I don't have any screens to compare it to how it *should* look, so I also just assumed it did. Looks nice enough!

Going to reinstall tonight, thanks for the heads up daveodeth

what happens is you delete the folder and the 5 files then run ss2tool, it will recreate the mod folder and add all the steps needed to run mods. once ss2tool is run you can carry on as the newbie guide suggests. I imagine the ss2tool falls down when it finds the mod folder already there and may affect some of it's scripting. better safe than sorry.

The boxed edition is selling for $60 on Amazon. I threw all my colossal old school boxes out years ago, of course.

I've checked periodically over the past few years and it always seems to sell well on eBay. Have been tempted once or twice but it just looks too good displayed next to the Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment boxes. :D

Gog version is using a bastardized version of new dark, not all fixes are present so it seems. the indeo codec one being a standout. This way you know your getting the full version and know mods will work because they've all been used to death by the community.

Edit: Fuck me they really are cunts, using an old version of ss2tool and not giving credit where it's due. Last thing I buy from gog.

Apparently, its just an earlier version New Dark that is included in the GoG.com release and so updating it to 2.4 with SS2Tool4.8 is highly recommended.

And for clarification, deleting those files mentioned earlier in the thread is necessary because leaving them there will override improvements that New Dark makes. The game will still run either way but you won't be getting the latest code fixes.

Edit: Man, some of the new texture work really is fantastic. Glad to see Vurt working on SS2 stuff - his Morrowind mods are amazing too.

pqUgBVV.jpg

Wiper can you edit the first post about ss2tool? you have to remove a folder and files for it to work properly.

I've removed the reference to NewDark 2.4 (as ss2tool contains it, no?) and put this paragraph in its place:

First, you'll want to patch it. The latest version of SS2Tool (v4.8 at the time of writing) includes everything you need: you can read the instructions and download it from here or here. For those averse to reading instructions elsewhere, just note that for the GOG version you should do the following:

1) Delete System Shock 2\DataPermanentMods\ folder.

2) Delete all 5 .dml files:

• command2.mis.dml
  • earth.mis.dml
  • hydro1.mis.dml
  • hydro2.mis.dml
  • station.mis.dml

3) Run the tool

Again, I've not indulged in modern SS2 playing, so correct me if I've made any errors there. In fact, I'm away this weekend, so if I have made an error I'll have to rely on a moderator to help correct it in the short-term, so apologies for that!

Hilariously, it seems I only threw out my old box about six months ago. I still have the jewel case and manual.

Anyway, it's working now. I'm sure the default controls didn't used to be this shit. They've got it set up with Alt to move backward, instead of the original WASD plus QE for lean my memory insists it used to have.