System Shock 2

Wiper

Hilariously, it seems I only threw out my old box about six months ago. I still have the jewel case and manual.

Anyway, it's working now. I'm sure the default controls didn't used to be this shit. They've got it set up with Alt to move backward, instead of the original WASD plus QE for lean my memory insists it used to have.

yeah it's been changed and i have no idea why.

If I answered that "yes", would it mean yes or no?

That depends on how you look at it, no?

http://www.allgame.c...19&tab=controls

See? That's what the default controls were. The people who made that installer tool must have some horribly perverted kinks.

Yeah, I just checked the manual and you're completely right. Whoever thought that these 'new' controls were better must be a bit, uhm, special.

Apparently, its just an earlier version New Dark that is included in the GoG.com release and so updating it to 2.4 with SS2Tool4.8 is highly recommended.

And for clarification, deleting those files mentioned earlier in the thread is necessary because leaving them there will override improvements that New Dark makes. The game will still run either way but you won't be getting the latest code fixes.

Edit: Man, some of the new texture work really is fantastic. Glad to see Vurt working on SS2 stuff - his Morrowind mods are amazing too.

pqUgBVV.jpg

Okay, I need help because I'm doing something wrong and I don't know what. No matter what I do, I can't get that earth texture in your screen to show up, I'm stuck with the low-res one. I've installed Vurt, ADaoB and ADaoB hires earth space. Everything else seems to work fine - what could I be stupidly doing wrong? :(

Download this...

http://www.systemsho...hp?topic=4510.0

And extract it into you DataPermMods folder as normal. Should work (thats all I did).

--------------

For anyone who is playing at 1080p but doesn't like the tiny UI as a result, its possible to scale the UI back to how it should be in Vanilla SS2. Do the following....

1) Open cam_ext.cfg (its in your main system shock 2 folder).

2) Find the line ";d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64" (without quotes).

3) Delete the ; in front of that line.

That'll scale the UI correctly but if you find it looks too pixelated, you can do the following in addition to the above...

1) Open cam_ext.cfg (its in your main system shock 2 folder).

2) Find the line ";d3d_disp_force_filter_scale2d" (without quotes).

3) Delete the ; in front of that line.

That will smooth it out with bilinear filtering. It's possible to scale the UI manually but I wouldn't bother. The above works fine.

And I figured out what happened - the otherwise excellent mod guide on GOG contains the wrong mod in its google docs mirror. When the system shock website was down, those mirrors were the only way to get all these lovely sweet mods and the guy who wrote that guide uploaded the wrong by mistake, because now that the site is back he has linked to actual thread for that mod and it's the same one Sie has linked to. So I wasn't doing anything wrong, I just had the wrong mod.

Awesome cheers Sie.. Was going to post asking how you could do that!

If you want to fluff the UI up a little more, in cam_ext.cfg find the line ";d3d_disp_2d_overlay_alpha 0.7" and remove the ;

That'll make the UI slightly transparent. You can adjust the default 0.7 value to taste (1 being opaque, 0 being fully transparent).

Its worth poking around in cam_ext.cfg because there are a lot of extra enhancements that are disabled by default. Its all fairly self explanatory.

It's the noise, all it takes is to hear "where have you gone?" And it's brown trousers time. So short on good weapons to. The rec dec is pretty creepy to, long corridors just feel odd. Seeing a hybrid wander by in the distance is a bugger knowing you have to deal with him, but fuck knows what's waiting for you in all the little side passages beforehand.

SS2Toolv4.9 has been released.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

Changes in 4.9 (GOG compatibility release)
  • Deletes "Datapermanentmods" folder and 5 DMLs from the game root
  • Removes "skip_intro" from cam.cfg

The GOG compatibility fix can be found under the "System Requirements" section in SS2Tool's options screen.

SS2Tool will detect if the game is a GOG version and automatically apply the appropriate fixes.

If you used a previous version of SS2Tool and have not made the listed changes manually yet, disable all options but "System Requirements" and run SS2Tool v4.9 on your game.

SS2Toolv4.9 has been released.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

That worked a treat last night cheers

Must admit this is pretty much my first time trying to extensively mod a game and Ive been amazed just how user friendly its been. I've always been scared to try it before but the post in here (and tools available) have made it really painless.

The gameplay in this is just as fresh as it ever was. Scrabbling to make use of limited resources and skating along by the seat of your pants the whole time.

Still kicks the shit out of Bioshock in every way. The audio logs are at their rawest and most engaging, even - being before every game and its mum had made them tedious and overused.

Man, I'd just end up holed up in the same place, making a nest in the only place I found where the horde never showed up, near the lifts. Cowering, surrounded by the detritus I had scavenged, until I pluck up enough courage to explore a little further, before scuttling back to my hidey-hole.

Modern games make you feel badass. This one puts you firmly in your place, worm.

Reached the Rickenbacker. This game holds up so fucking well.

I think what it gets right more than any of its successors/imitators is the feeling of still-ongoing catastrophe. The events that took place on the Von Braun and the Rickenbacker started happening a bare week before the game begins, and are still unfolding as you go through the game. You're not the lone survivor; there are still others attempting to fight or escape too, and their efforts are parallel to yours and obvious even if they rarely intersect. It's very well done.

Finally scraped through to the control deck last night and it really is as good as I remember it and as others have said. That bloody tab key still causes me panic. You can hardly ever feel safe so you've got the inventory up and then some hybrid comes lunging for you and I'm panicking trying to hit it and get back to aim mode. Also had one of the ghosts just before the control deck make me jump out of my skin, brilliant. :)

I've almost reached the end of the game (got to the Body of the Many) and I think I'll probably stop there because frankly I've seen all the best stuff the game has to offer already. What a ride it's been up to this point, though.

The Rickenbacker doesn't really hold a candle to the Von Braun, with its slightly-disguised linear maze in place of the believable place that the Von Braun is, but it's got some great imagery (the chapel in the gravity-reversed deck is excellent). Shame the ending kind of just loses steam, in general, and even the high-res mods can't really do the Body of the Many justice - the blocky Dark Engine just isn't suited to organic stuff, although it does a perfectly good job with the spaceship environments.

• 1 month later...

So, playing through bioshock 1, 2 and infinite this year has inspired me to finally give this a go. It is all modded up and lovely.

I have two main questions.

1: As soon as I hit the medbay, this music kicked in which I assume was just for combat as I spotted two enemies but then it just kept looping in that area. So I turned the music off and the game is way more atmospheric. I'm not missing out on some amazing soundtrack or something am I because the first track changed the horror atmosphere to some lunatic running around on speed hitting things with a wrench.

2: These vita chamber type things, if I die and respawn at one of them on normal/easy- is there any consequence/nanite cost? I couldn't notice anything apart from just starting with 18 health

Music is not combat orientated but location based. Also the soundtrack is amazing, especially when you get to engineering. Though the rec dec comes a close second. As for the quantum bio-reconstruction machine, they resurrect you for a fixed nanite cost and that's it. Harder difficulties will increase this cost.

If it's the part I think your at, did you use a keycard to open a door just after seeing a ghost moaning he cant find his card? If so then that doorway is the music trigger.

Edit: any other questions just ask, I've played through it more times than I'd like to admit. Same with Thief and Thief 2.

Music is not combat orientated but location based. Also the soundtrack is amazing, especially when you get to engineering. Though the rec dec comes a close second. As for the quantum bio-reconstruction machine, they resurrect you for a fixed nanite cost and that's it. Harder difficulties will increase this cost.

If it's the part I think your at, did you use a keycard to open a door just after seeing a ghost moaning he cant find his card? If so then that doorway is the music trigger.

Edit: any other questions just ask, I've played through it more times than I'd like to admit. Same with Thief and Thief 2.

I'm actually at engineering now. Really been enjoying it- especially the audio logs and how well the whole ship is put together. I've been scrounging ammo like crazy too, must have around 50 pistol rounds and loads of shotgun ones already.