rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Red Alignment

Does anyone own a PAL Turbografx?

To anyone who owns one if the (very rare) PAL version Turbografx consoles,1.) what was the pack-in game, and 2.) does it play NTSC Turbografx game cards? Thanks!

Goolge says yes on the second point. Why would you get a PAL one though? Surely a PC Engine would be better in terms of software selection and availability

I have one!

The pack in game was Blazing Lasers. And I can confirm it plays US games.

Why would you get a PAL one though? Surely a PC Engine would be better in terms of software selection and availability

To play US games. I've got a TGX and a PC Engine Duo R, and between the two I can play any TGX , PCE, TGX CD or PCE CD game.

• Upvote 1

I cant think of many TGX card games that I'd play, sure theres probably some RPGs that benefit from being in English - I think that'd be it.

Not enough in my opinion to merit owning a seperate machine - plus the PAL version would be 50hz-slow-o-vision

I didn't realise it was rare. Bought mine (new!) from Play Asia about 4 years ago.

Well, possibly not rare rare, but certainly an obscurity. I'd never heard that there was a PAL Turbografx until six months ago, and digging around online, no one is certain that it ever had any software releases.

Aren't Pal TG's just NTSC units with PAL RF encoders added? It's not an official product. The swarm of unused units is courtesy of Telegames I believe.

Mine seems to run in PAL60. I only know this because it works on my TV, but not my video capture device (which does NTSC and PAL but not PAL60). I might be wrong.

Dunno then. Maybe it's some odd resolution or something then. My MD, NES, SNES and NeoGeo CD all work on the capture device, but the picture rolls and blinks with the TGX.

Oh, maybe it's NTSC at 50Hz? Is that even possible?

It's possible but unlikely. I seem to remember reading that these PAL TGs were originally destined for France, so maybe it's SECAM. Though having said that, it would only make a difference if you were playing over RF rather than composite.