IGNORED

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam) - 30% off on Steam until Dec 1st

Qazimod

I'm at the end of the game now - I reached the final floor of the true ending dungeon, then retreated back as there's still a lot to do! I was daft enough to remove Traesto from Teddie (I guess I can re-learn it at the hot springs if I still have an earlier save) so I'll see if I can go to the Velvet Room and get it from someone there (I've probably got Sandman or Cu Sith in my collection already.) Also I'm still pretty far away from Yoshitsune's final skills, and I haven't had much luck with Emperor cards either. :( 

Having seen the majority of the game, I think this is a great release of Golden despite the occasional technical weirdness. You could say it's one of the best versions of P4... but the portability of the Vita game means a lot, and I don't know if I could pick one over the other. :D 

EDIT: inb4 "laptops!" - which, whilst possible, might still be a bit more cumbersome than a Vita ;) 

Haha yeah the vita really converted me to JRPGs with games like this (I actually owned both Persona 3 and 4 on ps2 originally but never put the time in to complete them). It also means I can't really enjoy them as much on anything but the Vita or Switch. 

The Vita is an amazing little machine, I love mine for the range of games I can get on it. P3 Portable and P4G are reasons to own it on their own. I've got 30 games installed on mine and they are all belters.

On the P4G front I've finished Secret Lab and am just raising links. I definitely need to do a NG+ run to get all the social links done, They are great stories in their own right and the payoff at the end is good.

Anyone who has PS Now should also check out Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ from Falcom. It has a very Persona vibe, event a cheeky direct reference at one point, and is brilliant fun. Am about half way through I think and the story is really starting to pull me in.

On 10/07/2017 at 17:12, Alex W. said:

Literally the first 10-20 hours are an extended tutorial. Then you actually get some sense of the game's structure and how it works. 

Good Christ! I started again this week and got back to where I was in 2017.  I'll stick with it this time because I'm going in with my eyes more open as to what it is, but have I really got another 18 hours of tutorial? And to think, last week I posted in another thread how annoying Resident Evil 3 is because every time you start a new game there's that 6 minute opening sequence. 20 hours? 

Think of it more like Dark Souls. The real Persona 4 doesn’t begin until your emotional Smough & Ormstein

Spoiler

deciding whether to go for a date with Chie, Yukiko, or that fucking curry bowl from the Hell Dimension

7 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Think of it more like Dark Souls. The real Persona 4 doesn’t begin until your emotional Smough & Ormstein

Hide contents

deciding whether to go for a date with Chie, Yukiko, or that fucking curry bowl from the Hell Dimension

What sort of decision is that? Chie. Always Chie. Meat and Chie is the true persona.

Spoiler

Rise 4eva, but I have gameplay bias. With a full set of skills and a complete social link she becomes one of the most valuable party members towards the end. :wub:

@Gambit I don't know if I could pick one lady from the entire series, but Maki and Maya in the earlier games seem pretty awesome considering their "eventful" character arcs...

• 3 weeks later...

Done with a guide. All social links maxes, all persona fused, something like 95% of the side quests done. I find it's the only way to do these, I am not going to be able to do them twice. 

Spoiler

Rise

Obviously, but cast interactions were good here, probably a bit better than 3 and 5. Mystery Food X also got me every time. 

Overall on balance a worse game than 5 - I think the palaces switching to being crafted rather than autogenerated makes a big difference, and if you attempt to do all the side quests here they wear a lot thinner a lot quicker than 5's. Wildly different tone to 3 though, so harder to separate. 

I liked the lower stakes, and felt it would have been a stronger game without the addition of Marie and most of the third semester stuff. Everything up to Christmas is neat package and you really feel like part of a teen scooby doo gang that doesn't fully know what's going on. I didn't mind Marie and it's all cleverly weaved in, but it just didn't click anywhere near as much. Plus could have done without 

Spoiler

Killing God, as usual

A case where less is probably more, I think. 

Finally

Spoiler

Has there been a more annoying S Link than AI? Like even after you max it out. 

9 hours ago, kensei said:
  Hide contents

Has there been a more annoying S Link than AI? Like even after you max it out. 

I had to google who that was which says it all really. I completely forgot about her. :lol:

• 1 month later...

A 1.1 patch is out now if people had trouble with the original. From Steam:

Hello Persona 4 Golden players! This release is Persona 4 Golden, version 1.1.

Thank you for reporting issues and participating in our Beta releases! Your feedback and involvement are crucial. We have rolled our beta patches over to the Main Branch. This release contains previous gameplay and stability issues addressed with Hot Fix 1 to Hot Fix 3. Here is a comprehensive list of fixes made:

• Fixes to video quizzes
• Fixes to cutscene playback, including a lower playback mode for smoother play on older machines.
• Soft locks occurring around Personamations
• Random crashes reported
• Crashes related to removing Xbox One controllers
• A hang issue that occurs during Midnight Trivia Quiz
• Blank items in inventory causing crashes and freezes.
• Please note that if you are experiencing this issue, your old saves will retain the blank item, so it is suggested that you generate new saves and avoid old saves with blank items.
• An audio issue related the audio setting during Yosuke's Calvary Attack.
• A progression issue that occurs when entering Yukiko's castle.
• Addresses a known issue where Quest 3 could not be completed by some players.
• Optimized cutscene movies for better playback that was causing stuttering.
• When using high resolution monitors, resolved an issue where the Windows 10 resolution scaling was being applied.
• Fixed a freeze issue when equipping a blank item in “Equip > Clothes”.
• If you have a blank item in the Clothes menu, please be sure to remove it as these blank items can be still in your currently saved game data. Equipping blank items can trigger various freeze issues in other locations.
• Resolved a soft lock that could occur after an All-Out-Attack.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that this has been obliterated from the PS Store, I'd like to hope that every "wait for it to be on PS+" guy has since decided on picking this up, or not. :P 

At least there's also a PC version now... and physical Vita copies will probably be out there - although maybe not for the £8.49 you could have paid on the Store. ;) 

(E: that being said, I didn’t double dip on a digital version for Vita, so if anything happens to my cart I’m in trouble...)

30 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Now that this has been obliterated from the PS Store, I'd like to hope that every "wait for it to be on PS+" guy has since decided on picking this up, or not. :P 

At least there's also a PC version now... and physical Vita copies will probably be out there - although maybe not for the £8.49 you could have paid on the Store. ;) 

(E: that being said, I didn’t double dip on a digital version for Vita, so if anything happens to my cart I’m in trouble...)

You've got until the 27th of August to buy it.

• 2 months later...

While you're here @Qazimod
I just wanted to say that you talking years ago quite lovingly about these strange games about school kids fighting demons at night using the power of their relationships really piqued my interest which gave me one of my favourite series of video games.

Cheers for that!  😁

Aww ❤️

There were a lot of OGs in the P3 thread that helped get me interested in the series so, y'know, credit where it's due ^_^ but I like the way it's created a nice sub-community of series fans over here.

47 minutes ago, danbot said:

While you're here @Qazimod
I just wanted to say that you talking years ago quite lovingly about these strange games about school kids fighting demons at night using the power of their relationships really piqued my interest which gave me one of my favourite series of video games.

Cheers for that!  😁

27 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Aww ❤️

There were a lot of OGs in the P3 thread that helped get me interested in the series so, y'know, credit where it's due ^_^ but I like the way it's created a nice sub-community of series fans over here.

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast turned a vow into a blood oath.

Thy bond shall become the wings of rebellion

and break the yoke of thy heart.

Thou hast awakened to the ultimate secret

of the Sun, granting thee infinite power...

I'm a few hours into this on PS2 and really trying to like it, but it seems so cheap at times. I especially hate the mechanic where enemy reinforcements will sometimes spawn after you've won a battle. In this latest case my party were already low on HP from winning the initial battle so 4 beetles randomly appearing meant an inevitable game over.

Do I really have the patience to spend another 45 minutes getting to where I was up to again? Hmm.

@Marlowe It can be surprisingly harsh at times. The PS2 game’s Easy mode does let you revive your party if you’re all downed, but you only get to do this ten times.

Otherwise, there’s a skill called Trafuri which lets you escape a battle, and there’s the Vanish Ball item which does the same thing. This will only drop you back on the current floor - to escape the dungeon entirely there’s the Traesto skill and the Goho-M item.

1 hour ago, wev said:

Any particular reason you're playing the PS2 version?

I don't have a Vita and I don't game much on PC. I have my PS2 set up on my PVM so it looks pretty great. 

@Qazimod thanks for the tips, I'll give it another go.  

Ah okay! Was just wondering, was thinking you wanted to play the "pure" version, ie without any changes they made in later releases. Been considering doing that with P3 at some point (or just playing The Answer on my copy of P3Fes seeing as they're never made that available any other way)

• Qazimod changed the title to Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam) - 30% off on Steam until Dec 1st