rllmuk
Qazimod

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam)

I've only played Persona 3 (on PC, via emulation) and thought that was brilliant. However, I never completed it, and I always found the fusion stuff a bit confusing. Incidentally, for those that have run through it, how achievable is the platinum in this? Doable by someone who's a bit shit at these things? Is it essentially a grind to tick loads of boxes?

Funnily enough, I was looking at trophies earlier while I'm still going through the PS2 version - there doesn't seem to be anything taxing considering you can change Difficulty on the fly, the only two Trophies that seem like a Ball-ache are:

Compulsive Reader - Read all the Books in the game, mainly because that would leave you a pretty shit timetable to do anything else. I'd probably see this being done in the first playthrough though, as you can then use the second cycle to concentrate on S-Links as you'll carry over the stats from reading those books.

Hardcore Risette Fan - "Hear 250 of Rise's navigation lines". That, uh, sounds like tedium personified (pun not intended). having to listen to her rabbiting on whenever you have to access the Analysis function gets on your nerves as it is!

The rest generally seems like the stuff you'd end up doing naturally during the first and second playthroughs, anyway.

I really like this. It's slow going at first, I'm about two hours in, but it's got a really cool story and presentation so far.

Yeah, it's pretty good, isn't it? I'm usually not very keen on JRPGs, but this is different enough to the Japanese bore-a-thons I'm used to. Intriguing story, likeable characters, witty dialogue and a cool gameworld. It takes its time (more than 3 hours in and only one proper battle so far), but it hasn't been boring at all.

I'm just waiting for the first brick-wall difficulty spike which implies I haven't done enough grinding yet. Still haven't gone back to Ni no kuni since the first time that happened...

Got so very lucky on the Rise one - It popped on quite literally the last line of dialogue it could possibly pop on in the game, on my first run through. I love the adjustable difficulty on NG+ - Already level 20 by end of first dungeon,, with an extra 40k in the bank. Cue all the fusings. I much, much prefer Teddie's voice actor in this. In vanilla he is quite squeaky, in Golden as Donk said much more toned down and much better for it. Chie is a terrible character/person anyway*, but the VA does get significantly better as the game goes on.

*I am aware I am apparently the only person in the world who thinks this.

This thing is just such a time sink. Only just got control over what I can do after school and I'm three and a half hours in already. No idea where it's all gone! It's a perfect handheld game to have ready on standby.

The story is gloriously mental too. Even more than the last one!

Loving this. I started on hard although I am a little worried that I may reach points where I am screwed due to lack of grinding, for example trying to save someone before the fog lifts. What happens if I attempt the boss on the last day and find I am not strong enough? There doesn't seem to be any indication of additional opportunities to beef yourself up. I am currently clearing out the first dungeon (Castle) but I am unsure how many levels it has. I have been trying to spread my time about equally but it is what is says - hard - and I am finding my team sometimes getting wiped very quickly. I am just concerned that I will hit an impassable wall and will have to start again. Can anyone put my fears to rest?

Do characters become 'tired' like in P3? And should I be spamming fizzy drinks to keep them going for as long as possible each session? Is that what it takes to beat hard?

Is the music the same as regular, ungolden Persona 4? I've just started this but the music is totally sweet and I have an unopened PS2 version of P4 with the soundtrack I might try and track down to rip if so.

Loving this. I started on hard although I am a little worried that I may reach points where I am screwed due to lack of grinding, for example trying to save someone before the fog lifts. What happens if I attempt the boss on the last day and find I am not strong enough? There doesn't seem to be any indication of additional opportunities to beef yourself up. I am currently clearing out the first dungeon (Castle) but I am unsure how many levels it has. I have been trying to spread my time about equally but it is what is says - hard - and I am finding my team sometimes getting wiped very quickly. I am just concerned that I will hit an impassable wall and will have to start again. Can anyone put my fears to rest?

Each dungeon has on average ten floors, Yukiko has about eight from memory, and you typically have two weeks to clear them (again, from memory). I wouldn't worry about the time limits, as the seven day weather forecast pretty much telegraphs when you're about to get a shitload of rain. Unlike P3, there's no stamina system, which means you're simply restricted to how much you're caning SP (which gets alleviated later via a certain S-Link), so go mad until that runs out and then Goho-M/Traesto out ad infinitum.

Even better, getting to the top floor gives you a save point and a free teleport back out of the dungeon, so if you're really desperate about blowing the boss out of the water, aim to get to that point and then grind the shit out of the top two floors underneath that. Also keep in mind monster encounters respawn and, from what I remember, are completely reset when you leave a dungeon, so there's ample opportunity to just hammer lower levelled monsters in the face until you get enough EXP (or more importantly, more Persona to fuse to cover element resistances).

I wouldn't be spamming any SP recovery items this early on unless you've got an absolute fuckton of TaP soda. Even Snuff Souls are handy to have on hand in a pinch.

EDIT: Had a quick look at a Wiki - Eight floors, and you have 11 days. The guide itself recommends three days in the dungeon, but that's give or take depending on skill/difficulty/luck, I suppose. Doing dungeons in one day stints means more time spent on some S-Links that wouldn't normally be around (namely in this case your Team-mates, Chariot and Magician). Again though, it's up to how you play it.

Golden does NOT have saves on the last floor sadly, took them out for reasons. Game still remembers which floor you got to I believe. Golden also does not change the original music, you just get some new music (early example is nighttime in general/pub).

Tbh I was always more worried about doing the dungeon then social links. You naturally get more options for sp regen later on, but I do like using the weaker souls and tiny soul tomatoes in particular for sp early on. TaP is pretty good as well. Later on gaining 10 sp is not great, so just depends on what you want to make a priority.

In vanilla I spent at least three days in each dungeon until at least halfway. Then again as you had save before boss I ran up there, grinded till out sp, came back next day for boss.

Maybe look for persona with invigorate if worried (there is a level 18 Aeon that gets it at 20 and I think it needed three low level persona in a triangle fuse).

Loving this. I started on hard although I am a little worried that I may reach points where I am screwed due to lack of grinding, for example trying to save someone before the fog lifts. What happens if I attempt the boss on the last day and find I am not strong enough?

I'm not sure how it varies between difficulties, or how it varies between PS2 and Vita, but I think if you fail to rescue someone before the fog lifts, you get transported to the Velvet Room and Igor gives you the option to go back one week. I don't know how this affects progress you had made in terms of levelling etc; I've never failed to reach a deadline so it hasn't happened yet (although I don't go for the harder difficulties... :blush: )

So, I generally don't enjoy JRPGs. Too much grinding, overwrought plots - not really for me.* Final Fantasy VII and XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Lost Odyssey,** Grandia II, Phantasy Stars I-III, even Skies of Arcadia (loved the characters, the universe, enjoyed the story, but fuck that grind) - just never had the heart to finish them, and in most cases tired of them long before ten hours at passed. However, with me splitting up with my partner a few weeks back, with some extra rubbish courtesy of my own shitness, I felt the need for a distraction, and thought I'd give P4G a go.

And bloody hell but it's fantastic. Playing on normal, I've just rescued Kanji, having never had to grind, and only had to leave a dungeon once (Kanji's, final level, to rest up) so far, I'm spending most of my time chatting, browsing the area, seeing what I can do on any given day, and generally enjoying the character development. Oh, and the core message of the game - the importance of recognising the aspects of yourself that you don't like and coming to terms with them - is actually resonating with me at the moment. Really, really enjoying this so far, and very surprised by that. Good stuff.

*Enchanted Arms having been the one exception to date, thanks to its straight-to-the-finish gameplay necessitating no grind at all.

**though the short stories almost kept me going, there

• Upvote 1

Golden does NOT have saves on the last floor sadly, took them out for reasons.

Cue P4 Vanilla/Golden comparative discussion. Will probably flood into light spoilers, so better safe than sorry:

4JryUOY.gif

WHAT THE FUCK. That's almost as much a disaster as hearing that Team-mate evolution weaknesses (or more the lack of them, except for Yukiko) have been nerfed. Well, that's what I thought for about two seconds, until I realised just stacking more Goho-M would fix that.

And yeah, TaP can be a little light on the SP side of things later on so it's definitely the first you should pop in the game, but it's nice to have a couple on hand, even later on. 2 Sodas, and you have yourself a Traesto spell to bail the fuck out!

I'm just waiting for the first brick-wall difficulty spike which implies I haven't done enough grinding yet. Still haven't gone back to Ni no kuni since the first time that happened...

Hmm, if they got the balancing right hopefully that moment never comes. I got further than I usually do with JRPGs, in that I'm actually interested in how things will unfold and look forward to continuing rather than ticking off the JPRG Cliches Boxes and giving up by the time our spikey haired hero is cornered by slugs in the first cave looking for the missing daughter of the mayor in the safe knowledge that the village will be destroyed by the time we get back.

Just a quick tip for you then, when you get to the first dungeon, grind for a bit (not long, don't worry) until you can obtain a wind persona at the end of the fight (the attack you want is called Garu). Yosuke already has this wind attack. Both of you having it in your arsenal makes the boss on the top floor a lot easier.

I brought my Vita to work, hopefully there'll be an unguarded moment I can sneak into the bog. Unfortunately the location of the toilets in our new building is far less discreet, in the old building they were situated at some odd corners where nobody would notice you going in or out :)

To be honest, as long as you cover your Main Character's bases in terms of elemental damage and resists via fusing more powerful Persona, the worst difficulty spikes of the game are pretty much over and done with early on. And luckily, most of the grinding that takes place in a dungeon involves the following:

- Element check of enemies

- MC switches to elemental nuke of choice

- Nuke, profit

As such, it's always a good idea when you have the jump on enemies to just nuke everything with every element, simply to see what happens and it's in your records for later on - Especially when PARTY MEMBER SIX joins the group, as Third Eye gives you an instant heads-up if something you attack with is not going to work prior to casting.

And then you press X anyway, like a dipshit on Pro Plus. Get on my level.

Thankfully, most bosses later on become more damage sponges than they do legitimate threats, so it's worth thinking about Buffs/Debuffs from time to time. Or all the time, as the damage output combined with Power/Mind Charge skills are totally worth it.

And, luckily, Shadow Naoto is probably the most fun boss you can fight in most JRPGs, and that's quite late in the game.

Unfortunately the location of the toilets in our new building is far less discreet, in the old building they were situated at some odd corners where nobody would notice you going in or out :)

Surely they only really notice when you plug in to the shaver power outlet near the sinks and trail the cable under a cubicle door?

Just a quick tip for you then, when you get to the first dungeon, grind for a bit (not long, don't worry) until you can obtain a wind persona at the end of the fight (the attack you want is called Garu). Yosuke already has this wind attack. Both of you having it in your arsenal makes the boss on the top floor a lot easier.

Another general note about the main boss of the first dungeon is that you have the option of ignoring the second enemy ("charming prince" or whatever) if you can damage the boss faster than the prince heals her. This is a bit long-winded and inefficient but it lets you focus your efforts on the boss rather than spreading your SP too thinly, and if the boss dies whilst the prince is still alive, they'll both die (this is a general rule for most bosses with secondary enemies in this game.) Win-win! :D

I have 2 questions I hope can be answered here:

Will there DLC for this fine game?

Is there any difference between the US version and the PAL version?

This Persona fusing stuff confuses me. Is it worthwhile to do early while not having the required social links to add extra attributes, or wait a bit and craft more powerful ones? I guess the links will come pretty fast anyway, I now have a 'strength' social link through my homies on the basketball court.

You'll pick up many more Persona than you can carry at any one time. Get them registered in the compendium in the Velvet Room and fuse away any of the ones you're not actively using. Later in the game choosing what to fuse can be more strategic but earlier on the differences are minimal.

Yeah. Start fusing as soon as you like. Back when I was playing P3 I asked in the thread about grinding levels for my Personas. With fusing you don't need to do that.

Did the first dungeon and my fears were not realised. Smashed the boss out of the park. I'm very rarely addicted to computer games but something about this hits the nail on the head. Fusing personas to get extra ones and farming monsters to get items for making new equipment. It seems possible to do the dungeon in one sitting if you keep returning to the lower levels to farm hp/sp restore cards from shuffletime, or you certainly get about 3 or 4 times the milage of just going straight for the top. I mioght try this on the next one and leave the additional time for making more social links.

The best bit for me is the variety of enemies and even though a lot of stuff is repeated and reused it remains just fresh enough to have the 'lets see what happens tomorrow' mechanism to keep you playing 8 hours solid like I did last night. And sleep through your alarm for work :S

• Upvote 1

The variety of dungeon designs is good too. They all have different visual styles.