rllmuk
Qazimod

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam)

I am not really a fan of JRPGs. I don't like Japanese anime/manga and the tropes it contains. I don't like games which are virtual novels at times. 

I still really really liked Persona 4, and put about 130 hours into it. It's worth a tenner of anyone's money. Get it. 

• Upvote 4

Im going to bite the bullet and buy the first one I see sell for under £50. I don’t sell games any more and I know I’ll play it if I spend that sort of money :lol:

11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Anything physical on Vita is rare these days.

Yeah it's ridiculous. Tried to buy God Of War Collection recently,  fuckers want 35 - 50 quid for it.

Not much more I can add to the recommendations other than: if you’ve just played P5/Royal as your first Persona experience and want more, Golden isn’t a bad place to start. :) It’s a much more streamlined experience in terms of dungeon layouts and town map activities, but the upside is that you have tens of hours of JRPGing with less of 5’s occasional bloat. Getting a cart is nice if you’re a fan of the adorable Vita game boxes ;) but then again a digital purchase ensures that it’s always available on your home screen...

14 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Not much more I can add to the recommendations other than: if you’ve just played P5/Royal as your first Persona experience and want more, Golden isn’t a bad place to start. :) It’s a much more streamlined experience in terms of dungeon layouts and town map activities, but the upside is that you have tens of hours of JRPGing with less of 5’s occasional bloat. Getting a cart is nice if you’re a fan of the adorable Vita game boxes ;) but then again a digital purchase ensures that it’s always available on your home screen...

bought one off the forum in the end :) thanks very much @gossi the dog 

• Upvote 1

At least it’s not a long wait to find out if this rumour is true. 

• Upvote 1

My reaction to this on Twitter was *thinking face emoji*. Persona has so many rumours that go nowhere that I can only wait and see. It would be awesome if true, of course, and I guess Catherine Classic came out of nowhere...

(Before someone says it, the PS2 game seems fairly decent when emulated, but this would be a less clunky solution. :) )

And yet we are still waiting for P5 on switch. 

if they do a P4G port to switch I may have to double dip. 

If this turns out to be true (and the rumour of P3 also), I'm happier than them simply going straight to Royal, because it means they will move forward with them. It'll undoubtedly be a huge hit on PC.

• Upvote 2

I won't comment on Persona 5 Royal as I haven't played it at all, but I personally thought that Persona 4 Golden had all the conveniences Vanilla Persona 5 had with none of the downtime in terms of plot, so it's a great introduction into the series on PC.

Hopefully, introducing the IP on the PC also means ASW can finally put out a definitive version of Persona 4: Ultimax and stop people from playing the version ripped from NESiCAxLive because it's the only fucking version that has the last balance updates.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sabreman said:

If this turns out to be true (and the rumour of P3 also), I'm happier than them simply going straight to Royal, because it means they will move forward with them. It'll undoubtedly be a huge hit on PC.

Which version of P3 though? Surely it has to be a "new" one, with the proper overworld of P3/P3 FES, The Answer from P3 FES, the quality of life stuff from Portable and having Vincent in the bar?

Says Windows 8.1 minimum, but I'm going to try it on 7...

Edit: Seems to be fine!

'Full HD' sounds like '1080p, and that's your lot', but honestly for £16 I'm willing to take a punt until it gets modded or whatever.

2 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Given I fucking loved P5, i'm in for this!

P4G is definitely better than P5. Enjoy.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

'Full HD' sounds like '1080p, and that's your lot', but honestly for £16 I'm willing to take a punt until it gets modded or whatever.

That would suck but I'm sure the nvidia control panel can add extra shinies/AA to make sure it looks sharp as fuck on a 4K screen

Is this the first mainline Persona game on a non Sony machine?

Just now, PC Master Race said:

To my knowledge yes! Persona 3 was in the original rumour too so that make come later?

2 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

I think P1 got a Windows port :lol: Otherwise, yes.

I"m exceptionally happy about this, even though I have a PSTV plugged into my TV right now with the cart in it.

So, some things from five minutes of play:

- Seems to definitely run at 60fps to my eyes. Maybe not the cutscenes, but in game it certainly seems like it.
- 1080p is Max, at least without fucking around with Supersampling via AMD/NVidia stuff. No Ultrawide options, can be run in Borderless and actually has options to pick the monitor you're running it on for multi-monitor setups.
- Still has the slight level of motion blur seen in the Vita game. it's not as gross as it was on the small screen, but it's there.
- Has multiple options for graphics including render scaling, but most of them are for scaling down to 10 year old potato dual cores. Default is everything on max.
- Textures are a bit rough from the source, but the character models with render scaling still look great and the character artwork/UI looks lush.

In all - Standard adequate Japanese game port to PC. But it's a great price for one of the best damn JRPGs, if not the best in the previous decade. It's a winner in my eyes.

• Upvote 5

Thanks for the impressions! Have you tried restarting it? Saw someone else say they did that and 1440p became available as an option. No clue why. 

19 minutes ago, Radish said:

Thanks for the impressions! Have you tried restarting it? Saw someone else say they did that and 1440p became available as an option. No clue why. 

It is 1440p for me

The thing stopping me from getting this is it's making me wonder if there is a Switch port (and potentially other consoles) incoming. 

4 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

Is this game a version of persona 4? I've been interested in that for a while.

Names eh? Lol.

Yes, Golden is the expanded version that was released on Vita. It's essentially the same game just with additional content sprinkled throughout – mainly past the original endpoint – and some new mechanics/systems.

Just now, kensei said:

The thing stopping me from getting this is it's making me wonder if there is a Switch port (and potentially other consoles) incoming. 

It would make a lot of sense for it to come to other platforms, especially as they now have a PC version as a base. For some reason Atlus seem to love leaving money on the table when it comes to ports, though, so I'm not convinced it'll happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siri said:

So, some things from five minutes of play:

- Seems to definitely run at 60fps to my eyes. Maybe not the cutscenes, but in game it certainly seems like it.
- 1080p is Max, at least without fucking around with Supersampling via AMD/NVidia stuff. No Ultrawide options, can be run in Borderless and actually has options to pick the monitor you're running it on for multi-monitor setups.
- Still has the slight level of motion blur seen in the Vita game. it's not as gross as it was on the small screen, but it's there.
- Has multiple options for graphics including render scaling, but most of them are for scaling down to 10 year old potato dual cores. Default is everything on max.
- Textures are a bit rough from the source, but the character models with render scaling still look great and the character artwork/UI looks lush.

In all - Standard adequate Japanese game port to PC. But it's a great price for one of the best damn JRPGs, if not the best in the previous decade. It's a winner in my eyes.

Restarted the game and it has full 4k and 1440p resolution options 

This is the best news. Of course I have it running on PCSX2 but give me a decent legit port any day. Especially at that price!.