rllmuk
Qazimod

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam)

This Persona fusing stuff confuses me. Is it worthwhile to do early while not having the required social links to add extra attributes, or wait a bit and craft more powerful ones? I guess the links will come pretty fast anyway, I now have a 'strength' social link through my homies on the basketball court.

Both! I've been fusing like mad at the start of my new playthrough just to see what attributes and skills I can get from a Persona without the social link boosts. For instance, Valkyrie has the Media (small party-wide healing) skill very early on and so it's helpful in the beginning. As I go through dungeons I try and fill up my free Persona slots before I have to go back, and then I can see the results of various combinations in the Velvet Room in case there's a good skill I can grab at an early point in the game. At the same time, the social link boosts open up lots of opportunities later in the game and so it's always worth seeing what your options are after spending a few days hanging out with folk. :)

Im absolutely loving this...it's bringing back memories of being completely hooked on FF7 when i was a kid...I'm about 40 hours in and still find the story and social links so enjoyable...one of the best games I've played in years and prompted me to read pretty much every single persona 5 article that I could google! :)

Is there much benefit in ng+? Can scenes be skipped?

Scenes should be skip enabled anyway in Golden, right? I recall that's how it was touted, so people with Vanilla could get straight to the new content.

As for NG+, if it's anything like Vanilla, there's a couple of things that will be unlocked after the first cycle - nothing big though. The main hook is to re-run the game so you max out your social links, as typically your personality stats (which carry over) will be at their highest, allowing you to manage your time much more effectively.

I'm about 3 hours in with this. After never really playing Jrpg's before, I'm now currently playing this and Ni No Kuni!

Not sure what they hell is going on or how to play the things, but it's been very enjoyable so far.

I must admit I found the beginning, whilst interesting, incredibly slow. It's only with 5 hours on the clock i'm really seeing the brilliance of the game, and i'm thrilled I stuck with it :)

Bonus boss in Yukiko's castle just wiped my party with one attack. That's me turning the game off for ooh, at least 30 mins.

Bonus boss in Yukiko's castle just wiped my party with one attack. That's me turning the game off for ooh, at least 30 mins.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't even think about attempting that until you've built some more experience. I tend to try it after completing the following dungeon - unless you have something that can null/absorb/repel physical attacks, that Rampage skill will knock you out even when you have plenty of health... :(

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Yukiko's Optional Boss is highly disproportionate to the level you actually get the chance to fight it at, don't even bother. The other optional bosses are fine as soon as you get the chance to attack them mind, although the Optional Boss in the next dungeon is multitudes easier if you use the new party member you rescued.

And, although I shouldn't really shit up a Golden thread with impressions of the original (at least until tomorrow, and trade some bits in for it..), I went and dicked around with fusing high-end persona to open up some slots. Note that this is endgame/new game plus material, so I wouldn't advise clicking on it unless you're after a.) being spoilt on Ultimate Persona, and b.) shitting yourself over how overpowered you're likely to get at endgame.

V39Owcy.jpg

8p10n.gif

I truly fear the amount of time that will be spent on dicking around with the new Shuffle Time and Skill Card system.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I've just finished the first proper dungeon over the course of two game days. I got up to floor 5 before leaving and coming back to finish the rest of the floors the next day. Is that the right strategy? I really only left because I was using loads of items to keep everyone's health up. I defeated the boss but it was hard work. Should I be grinding more on the lower levels and does it matter how many times I leave and then come back to a dungeon?

You can go into the TV as many times as you like, but you have to beat the boss before the fog rolls in. I did the first dungeon in two separate visits - stock up on TaP Soda from the vending machine outside of Shiroku Store, and feed your party a couple of those if their SP gets low. You can also use the tomatoes that you might have picked up from the farmer's market lady at Junes.

[edit] In other news: Shiroku pub had me in stitches, especially the story about her "little one".

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Can't decide whether to pay the extra £5 and download it or save money and wait a few days.

Well, this is entirely selfish, but I'm selling £35 of Playstation Network credit for £30 in Trading, so you can have your cake and eat it...

• Upvote 1

Well, this is entirely selfish, but I'm selling £35 of Playstation Network credit for £30 in Trading, so you can have your cake and eat it...

I assume it's a code that you could email? I could only pay by bank transfer as I don't have Paypal. PM me if that's OK.

After defeating the boss in the Castle, I went back in and Teddie asks me to defeat a Shadow. Not having much or a clue I say yes and then fight my way to the top floor to get my arse handed to me! A quick check on the net tells me I've not leveled up enough to defeat the contrarian king, so after dying again I accidently choose the option taking me back to the main screen, thereby wasting the hour it had taken me to fight through the dunegon! Doh!

Still loving it though :-)

Bugger! WIper's done me like a kipper.

Shit, sorry, for what it's worth I had no idea about that offer - mine was a full price, actual physical card. I thought I was doing you a favour,* not screwing you out of a quid :(

In fact, a picture of it, just so that it's clear I didn't decide to just resell a cheap code for Massive Profit.

post-409-0-26412400-1361988375_thumb.jpg

*while clawing most of the money back for an unneeded card

• Upvote 1

Shit, sorry, for what it's worth I had no idea about that offer - mine was a full price, actual physical card. I thought I was doing you a favour,* not screwing you out of a quid :(

*while clawing most of the money back for an unneeded card

Never mind. I was only joking. I'm still happy I got it for £30. If I hadn't got it off you I'd have paid the full price for it on PSN.

Well I was doing great on this until the first boss. Whittled down to half health then a thing happened and it got a lot tougher and I died. Is it right that I've got at least a week to do that first one though? I couldn't tell if the icons they're using for the weather was denoting cloud or fog.

Fog comes up after several days of rain.

I beat the first proper dungeon tonight, but I took a couple of days, spreading between cleaning floors until running out of resources and Gohoming out, and building social links, fusing Persona and getting stuff in the real world. Went swimmingly and I needed only a single revival bead when Yosuke went down during the bossfight.

I love this game.

• Upvote 2

I've been working my way through Vinny and Jeff from Giant Bomb's playthrough of this....obviously contains spoilers but it's so funny :)

There's 155 parts!

Worth noting that apparently some scenes wont appear for you unless you've cleared the dungeon you have open to you at the time, so try to do them relatively quickly. I might be wrong in this, but it seems I came very close to missing

Christmas

:( (the spoiler is just the name of a holiday, I don't really think it's a spoiler but just in case)

One of the things I especially like about this game is how streamlined the interface is. How you can skip through all dialogue as fast as you want, that you can skip any of the canned animations if you just want to move forward, that you can press the square button to instantly travel to any connected location without actually having to walk there, etc. It really empowers the player, unlike so many games in the genre with s..l..o..w....f...i...l...l...i...n...g textboxes and unskippable animations every time you do something.

I'm on the bath house now. Bit annoyed I only did average on my tests though. Need to get that intelligence up I guess. I love P3. But this is even better IMO.