rllmuk
Qazimod

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam)

Sorry - quick questions (from someone who has played P3 until difficulty spike, where I gave up):

If I leave a floor using the item Ted has handed me, do I return to that floor when I next enter a TV? If so, that's a real change from P3 (which would often insist you repeated up to nine floors).

If you die during a dungeon, do you go back to the beginning/first floor when you next enter it?

Do I need to ration those things Ted has handed me (they transport you out of the dungeon, he said)? Or are they pretty frequent?

Sorry! Thank you!

You can go back to the floor you left which is amazing.

When you die you can start from the beginning of that floor.

You can buy Go-homes from the item shop, and get a spell eventually too.

I've got to start my hard all social links complete play through, as I realised I missed the event mentioned in the spoiler up there. :( :(

Sorry - quick questions (from someone who has played P3 until difficulty spike, where I gave up):

If I leave a floor using the item Ted has handed me, do I return to that floor when I next enter a TV? If so, that's a real change from P3 (which would often insist you repeated up to nine floors).

If you die during a dungeon, do you go back to the beginning/first floor when you next enter it?

Do I need to ration those things Ted has handed me (they transport you out of the dungeon, he said)? Or are they pretty frequent?

Sorry! Thank you!

Don't know about dying as this happened to me yet, but you can indeed return to the floor you used the item (Goho-M) on. You can buy new ones in the shop IIRC and you find them in chests too sometime.

Brilliant, thanks chaps - it seems to be much more user-friendly than the previous game. Excellent - I'm three hours in, but there for the long-haul. Excited!

Thanks again.

I imported this via eBay so had it a few weeks early, ended up stopping playing as I got a 3DS XL for my birthday and have been addicted to Ocarina again. However this thread is urging me to go back, but once I do I won't be able to stop playing. It's great as a handheld title, but "just one more day..." happens very often! :)

This is £25.13 if you use the code REC10 at the Hut. I wasn't sure about getting this after not really getting on with Persona 3 but at that price I thought why not...

That's awesome, thanks! I went for a trek around Brighton in order to score a copy, but I missed the boat by a fairly large margin. About £29 for next day delivery too, which is handy as the shops that have typically faster delivery (SimplyGames, Shopto) have all sold out.

Well I made a right royal balls up of pacing my first dungeon. Despite playing a fair bit of the PS2 game I totally forgot about having to make a few visits prior to the fog setting in.. So focused far too much on after school clubs, building social links etc and literally only gave myself the last two days to finish.

I only actually realised this on the last day when I was already in the dungeon.. Reached the door to the boss with my party in pretty poor shape (about 75% health, half SP and bugger all healing/SP items).. It really wasn't my finest moment of Pre-planning.

Anyway contemplated reverting to a previous save but thought bugger it. After a "long" fight, I ended up taking the boss down on my 2nd attempt, was so immensely satisfying having to tackle the fight with such limited resources.. But its definitely lesson learnt for next time. Going to get to the boss room first, and then mess around with all the social stuff.

What a game :wub:

Bonus boss in Yukiko's castle just wiped my party with one attack. That's me turning the game off for ooh, at least 30 mins.

This was me last night. When I turned it back on this morning I just ran back and forth through the 7th floor leveling up instead.

This is my first Persona game, and I'm absolutely loving it. Ten hours in, I completed the first proper dungeon last night. I'm taking things slowly and trying to get accustomed to everything. There's so much to do, which is great, and the menus are all very streamlined and user friendly. I love the way the day cycles through school, after school, evening etc. I'd never play a game like this on a console, but being on a handheld I am putting ten minutes in here and there, as well as dedicated sessions at home. Brilliant. :wub:

Who is this 'Bonus boss'? The 'rare monster' x3? I made a run for it when they almost wiped my party away.

Contrarian King iirc. Appears once the first dungeon is done. In the room where Yukiko was. I'm gonna head back to knock the stuffing out of him once the bath house dungeon is done.

I'd never play a game like this on a console, but being on a handheld I am putting ten minutes in here and there, as well as dedicated sessions at home. Brilliant. :wub:

I'm exactly the same. I wouldn't dream of playing this on the 360, PS3 or PC. But on the handheld I can just fire it up for a quick session during lunch, toiletbreak or the 30 minutes between dinner and coffee or something. But then I find myself sitting in my mancave, on my gaming chair in front of my 46" screen and consoles, and I'm playing this instead :)

I'm exactly the same. I wouldn't dream of playing this on the 360, PS3 or PC. But on the handheld I can just fire it up for a quick session during lunch, toiletbreak or the 30 minutes between dinner and coffee or something. But then I find myself sitting in my mancave, on my gaming chair in front of my 46" screen and consoles, and I'm playing this instead :)

This has always been my problem with handheld games before- I just find them a bit lacking in depth sometimes, and rarely play them out and about other than at lunch in the office. Generally most of my gaming time is spent at home, where I'm almost always on the consoles or the PC.

This is one of the first portable games to actually make me want to play it instead of the Xbox or PS3- I know that's probably because it's a port of a ps2 game, but still, more games like this please! It's one of the rare games that perfectly suits quick little 15 minute bursts, or 2 hour long sessions. Also, because of the game's structure, it's very easy to plan your playing according to the time you've got available.

I've been working my way through Vinny and Jeff from Giant Bomb's playthrough of this....obviously contains spoilers but it's so funny :)

There's 155 parts!

The best bit is the owl man bit.

One of the things I especially like about this game is how streamlined the interface is. How you can skip through all dialogue as fast as you want, that you can skip any of the canned animations if you just want to move forward, that you can press the square button to instantly travel to any connected location without actually having to walk there, etc. It really empowers the player, unlike so many games in the genre with s..l..o..w....f...i...l...l...i...n...g textboxes and unskippable animations every time you do something.

The fast-forward is new to the game and I wish it had been around in the PS2 original, if only for NG+. At the same time, I sometimes accidentally skip through passages that end with a question or something requiring a response and I think "wait, what?" :doh: But yeah, dialling locations with the square button is always useful.

Contrarian King iirc. Appears once the first dungeon is done. In the room where Yukiko was. I'm gonna head back to knock the stuffing out of him once the bath house dungeon is done.

That's probably the ideal time to attempt the boss. As a side note, I believe most bonus bosses appear after the fog has rolled in and you check the Midnight Channel; they certainly won't appear sooner. When I first tried finding the bonus bosses I ended up going to the TV world, finding that nothing had appeared yet, reloading my save so that I can spend the afternoon doing something else, waiting for the next day, repeating... :facepalm:

Also: this and Urban Trial Freestyle has made me feel smug about buying a 3g Vita. Only a year late - but still.

not to be the voice of decent in here but I have been playing this for well over an hour and have just pressed x alot of times (to move through cut scenes).

I am sort of enjoying it but have yet to actually interact with anything.

am i doing it wrong?

Yeah, the start of the game is a trek as you go through the first few days, which is why you may have noticed save points when you stopped off at the petrol station and some other points - a newly implemented feature in Golden!

It shouldn't take too long, mind. it usually takes about an hour of your time, although that's probably a give or take figure depending on how much bloat that's been newly implemented, or if you're listening to all of the VA. if you're a faster reader, you're probably better off tapping Triangle once so you get a page to read instantly at a time.

I've been working my way through Vinny and Jeff from Giant Bomb's playthrough of this....obviously contains spoilers but it's so funny :)

There's 155 parts!

It's because of that Endurance Run I know not to cast Bufu on that boss.

Also, my character is called Charlie Tunoku. Because that's his fucking name.

• Upvote 1

For me it was about 3 hours until I really felt like I was in control of the proceedings. I still found the start interesting but after that it really hits its stride.

This is £25.13 if you use the code REC10 at the Hut. I wasn't sure about getting this after not really getting on with Persona 3 but at that price I thought why not...

Is it wrong that I'm considering buying that so that I have a physical copy of the game to go with my download?

The fast-forward is new to the game and I wish it had been around in the PS2 original, if only for NG+. At the same time, I sometimes accidentally skip through passages that end with a question or something requiring a response and I think "wait, what?" :doh:

In that situation, you should be able to press select to look at the conversation log and work out what was being asked, I think.

Thought so.

I just think it would sit nicely in my case next to the other amazing Vita game of wonder (Virtue's Last Reward), while their boxes could be best buddies on my shelf...

Every copy of Persona 4 sold is a mark of honour. You'd be twice as honourable as most people! (I think that's how the mathematics work.)

I've got Revengeance and Crysis 3 sitting idle here while I burn through Persona 4 and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on my new Vita. How Sony aren't able to sell this machine is beyond me, it's sucking the absolute hell out of my free time.

I just think it would sit nicely in my case next to the other amazing Vita game of wonder (Virtue's Last Reward), while their boxes could be best buddies on my shelf...

o/ That's the only two physical Vita games I own.

I'm glad I didn't watch the Endurance Run at the time but I might start now to see how they did the bits I've already cleared. I did almost call my guy Charlie Tunoku but decided if I had to put up with it for 80 hours I'd better do it right and christened him Shunsuke Nakamura instead.

• Upvote 1

The only real issue I have with this game is that it's really hard to stop playing. There should probably be a save prompt every time you go to bed so that in the real world I actually do; I keep doing "one more thing" and then realising it's 3AM.

I'm up to the point where I believe I stopped playing the PS2 version, the boss of the fourth proper dungeon. Unfortunately I really need to splurge on some new equipment; my strategy seems sound, I just need to hit harder to make it less of a slog. Oh, that reminds me: you can trade (otherwise useless?) gems for equipment at the bar if you go out at night. Given all the other activities it would be an easy one to miss.

This really clicked tonight. I got to the boss of the first dungeon on my first go and got busted up pretty bad and a little disheartened yesterday but coming back to it tonight and doing it properly - little bit of exploring, working on social links, fusing and then going back in from the ground floor and realising how much more powerful I was than I'd been the first time through was a big moment. I'll get that bastard next time.

The only thing that's annoying me right now is that I can see I can fuse that loveable wee Jack Frost with the personas I have but I'm not a high enough level.