rllmuk
Qazimod

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, Steam)

Probably because you have complete control over when it happens - both in terms of when to enter a dungeon, and in terms of when to initiate any specific combat - no random battles, after all. Also, unlike FF, you get the satisfaction of building up the perfect Personas to take into battle with you, giving some welcome strategy to the proceedings. Oh, and the battles aren't all that long, but never devolve into Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack End thanks to the importance of using the right elements to defeat the enemy quickly to avoid taking damage (thanks to the endurance run nature of the dungeons), and to get those Shuffle Time bonuses, so you always have a reason to pay attention, not just wish death on the game designers for putting you through more brainless battles.

At least, that's my rationalisation for it.

• Upvote 3

It also helps how elements play a huge factor in fights - when you're set up correctly, the notion of 'grinding' is actually a one-turn massacre providing you have the SP to spare.

Got my copy from TheHut, after fretting when Yodel fucked up the delivery.

tZJt7X3.gif

Coming from Vanilla, there's just so many excellent tweaks and benefits that it's making my enjoyment of a game I've already spent three weeks on just as satisfying - Everything from reordering skills, the Velvet Room's search function (oh fuck me, that's a godsend), a seemingly decent buff to physical attacks, and even more smaller things like being able to buy the lowest grade attack items from Shiroku. And these are things that I didn't know about, let alone the new major features such as selective skill inheritance, skill cards, the fantastic new shuffle time (sweep bonus w/ hermit, sweep bonus w/ hermit, sweep bonus w/ hermit IT KEEPS HAPPENING), and having the entirety of nighttime to dick around and keep your personas in check for any social links the next day.

The actual dynamic of fights seem even more improved, which really helps alleviate my concerns about the weakness adjustments of teammates - down and ailment assists are much more frequent, and seem to be based on a looser chance amongst the entire team instead of requiring to down an opponent with that one person. Boss fights are a hell of a lot slicker, and seem to be composed of a fairer balance - Shadow Yukiko was about as much fun as Secret Lab's boss fight, given the additional dialogue, actions, and new attacks.

Just completed my (non-NG+) replay. I got destroyed on the final boss again because there are one or two attacks that I just don't prepare myself for, particularly World's End (massive party-wide almighty damage & random status ailments inflicted) and Summons to Yomi (instantly KOs anyone with a status ailment.) By this time in the game I had Amrita so it shouldn't have been too hard to remove the status effects, but managing a balance between healing, attacking and clearing ailments was tricky. Happily, the skills that Rise learns in Golden are very helpful for getting you out of a tight spot, so it wasn't all bad. :D

So this bonus boss in Yuki's castle...

it was mentioned it was one of those 'king' types in the final room, but did anybody encounter Death/the Reaper? He was hidden in a chest on the 5th floor and I had to confirm twice I wanted to let him out. He wiped out my party in two blows with 1500+ HP damage!

Thankfully I did not come across that one. I did just beat that first bonus boss and am pretty pleased with myself, he hits hard enough for me at this stage.

Regarding the 'boss':

The Reaper can be found by chance in any Dungeon, although he's more likely to appear much later on in a certain Dungeon. In the original version, he could only be fought on New Game Plus, however to add a bit of excitement they've put him into the first playthrough as well!

Get used to him, though - On New Game Plus onward, he's the only source for ultimate weapons and armour. I'm not sure if he'll drop them first time around, although second playthrough's much easier as you have an idea of what Personas you want to fuse to fight him.

EDIT: Oh, and if you actually want access to that chest (with normal items, of course), You can just fight a random enemy and he should move on. As mentioned, in a certain place you'll have plenty of chances to find him..

• Upvote 1

Probably because you have complete control over when it happens - both in terms of when to enter a dungeon, and in terms of when to initiate any specific combat - no random battles, after all. Also, unlike FF, you get the satisfaction of building up the perfect Personas to take into battle with you, giving some welcome strategy to the proceedings. Oh, and the battles aren't all that long, but never devolve into Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack End thanks to the importance of using the right elements to defeat the enemy quickly to avoid taking damage (thanks to the endurance run nature of the dungeons), and to get those Shuffle Time bonuses, so you always have a reason to pay attention, not just wish death on the game designers for putting you through more brainless battles.

At least, that's my rationalisation for it.

Yeah, I think it's the clear separation between the real world and dungeons that makes the difference. When I play a game like Final Fantasy I want to push the story forwards so I have to travel, and then you get attacked all the time while you just want to move on to the next city / location. Very annoying. In this game you only get into fights when you actively seek them out, which is a lot more fun.

Regarding the 'boss':

The Reaper can be found by chance in any Dungeon, although he's more likely to appear much later on in a certain Dungeon. In the original version, he could only be fought on New Game Plus, however to add a bit of excitement they've put him into the first playthrough as well!

Get used to him, though - On New Game Plus onward, he's the only source for ultimate weapons and armour. I'm not sure if he'll drop them first time around, although second playthrough's much easier as you have an idea of what Personas you want to fuse to fight him.

EDIT: Oh, and if you actually want access to that chest (with normal items, of course), You can just fight a random enemy and he should move on. As mentioned, in a certain place you'll have plenty of chances to find him..

Ah, that makes sense. I don't think I'd like to cross paths with that guy anytime soon as I'm woefully underpowered yet.

I'd been enjoying the combat so much I seem to have overlevelled for the second dungeon, pure canter, can't even see rain on the forecast yet. All the more time to work on that wee stunner in the drama club.

Do social links go down if neglected or is it a one-way thing?

Do social links go down if neglected or is it a one-way thing?

While they can't be neglected, Social Links can be reversed, or even completely broken depending on actions you take. Further details in spoiler tags, just in case you're winging it (not really spoilers):

Reversals can happen through either Dialogue choices, or from initiating an intimate relationship while you're in another intimate S-Link that is not yet completed. The obvious solution to this is to simply max out the intimate S-Link (which is normally initiated at about 8-9, the only exception is one of Moon's routes), and then you're free to pull whatever shit you want with the other girls. This is typically a reversal in points (which can be fixed), but Fortune and Moon apparently goes down a whole rank and could effect the route you're on for those two. Fortune's very late end-game, though, and if you keep my previous advice to mind it will probably be the only intimate relationship you can take at that point.

Meanwhile, a Broken S-Link will only occur with Moon, via a dialogue choice. This will completely remove any S-Link progress you had with Moon, making it hard or nigh-on impossible to repair the damage.

While I talk about Dialogue choices willy-nilly, let me stress something - you WILL know what will break/reverse your S-Links when you come across them, it doesn't blur the lines like it does Heirophant and such. It's a similar choice to picking between a nice response, a neutral response and a response similar to Insanity Wolf (NSFW). So don't sweat it!

Meanwhile, my time at Kanji's dungeon involves my MC getting one-shotted by a Magus from attempting to bum rush to Floor 11. I got annoyed. So annoyed, I decided to Macguyver some new personas. (spoilered due to native capture)

hFk2VgR.jpg

8p10n.gif

God, I fucking love Emperor and Magician shuffle cards. Emperor let me learn Invigorate 1, and then random Magician cards ended up taking it up two ranks, and then upgraded Hama to Mahama. Area attacks all up in this bitch.

Until I used Mazio on a group, and two hits got reflected back onto my MC. Bollocks.

• Upvote 1

Siri, regarding your spoiler.

That sounds like P3 style. I thought you could harem the shit outta bitches with no drawback in this game. I even thought Moon was the ONLY social link you could reverse in P4. Anyone have any ideas?

You can Harem, you just got to do it in a not-very-specific fashion. According to GameFAQs (the white heat of productivity and truth, I know), a reversal can happen when you go from Level 9 > 10, if certain characters are at S-Level 9. If that happens the other characters degrade to Level 8, and you have to do three visits with them and then rebuild to 9.

They're in groups, mind - Priestess, Lovers and Chariot effect each other (so if you're going Lovers 9>10 while Priestess/Chariot are at 9, a scene will play out that will reverse both Priestess and Chariot to 8 ) . Fortune, Sun and Moon are a separate group, and thankfully you only effect one at the event.

The reason why it's rarely seen is pretty clear - If you're anything near a completionist, you're pretty darn likely to go 8>9>10 in quick succession with the first three due to the additional benefits they provide, without giving much of a shit about the other links. If you're after being REALLY cautious, you can just keep the everyone on eight and focus down on each Arcana as they have similar timetables. You probably don't need it, mind.

And yeah, the only two you can reverse via dialogue is Moon and Fortune, while Moon is the ONLY one you can break via Dialogue.

Visited the 2nd dungeon as soon as it was available. Through some "I'll just see how hard this floor is" determination I ended up completing the dungeon in one go. I think I now have a lot of free time (to do other stuff)!

Siri, regarding your spoiler.

That sounds like P3 style. I thought you could harem the shit outta bitches with no drawback in this game. I even thought Moon was the ONLY social link you could reverse in P4. Anyone have any ideas?

I've played the game a few times on Vita and PS2 and haven't seen a single reversal :( although I did read about Fortune. It almost feels like something you discover through deliberate experimentation rather than something that happens by accident (it happened by accident in P3 quite a bit, at least for me...)

Couple of battle related questions (both may be dumb).

1. When it says weak on the opponent after an attack, does that mean the opponent is weak to that attack, or the attack itself was weak?

2. Is there a known best time to use skills that raise and lower defence/attacks? Such as, if I am first to move, then up my team attacks, last then raise defence for example?

Weak means opponent is weak. You will get one more turn and enemy will go down as confirmation. Normally if enemy is strong to element you will do bob all damage, repel/resist/absorb have icons or effects that come up.

Generally I would only use buffs/debuffs on stronger enemies or bosses. I personally would increase attack first then use defensive stuff, can depend on enemy. For example the extra boss from first dungeon you would probably want defense first (though you really want null physical or high enough level to smack that git down with no problem).

It's worth noting that Light/Dark weakness will mean Hama/Mudo will always hit, unlike elemental spells, meaning insta-kills for everyone!

Until it repels off one enemy when you're throwing Mahama around, and you get insta-killed yourself. THE BEST GAME!

I've played the game a few times on Vita and PS2 and haven't seen a single reversal :( although I did read about Fortune. It almost feels like something you discover through deliberate experimentation rather than something that happens by accident (it happened by accident in P3 quite a bit, at least for me...)

The reversals are very deliberate in context. That particular example..

Is in the dialogue leading to Rank 5. When you're still going through the investigation, you just say 'You're on your own' when she's trying to figure out what's going on :D The other two choices are relatively positive in comparison!

Oh man, I'm loving this so, so much. 8 hours through it (where has that time gone?) and I've cleared the first dungeon, so I'm just going through it again to level up a bit more. The difference in this is, the battles are fun. Grinding is actually fun! And the story is mental. It really is an expertly crafted game.

One question though - I've just suddenly found that Yosuke is the first character in my battles. Have I accidentally changed the order or something? How do I change it back?

There's no order per se as it's based on Agility from what I can tell, but as Yosuke has the highest Agility usually in the initial team of four he'll always start off first in a standard battle. When you switch to a Persona on your MC with a higher Agility, it should change. Don't quote me on that, though.

It also seems to change if you get a back attack advantage against your opponent - From what I could tell, that seems to be based around the order of your party itself (which you effectively do when you have your fifth team member, using the order in which you invite them into the team before dungeon crawling), as it seems to start with the MC first every time you get the advantage. But again, that's what I could tell, it's probably not right.

So is it worth playing Persona 3 first as I already have that on my Vita?

I don't know about Persona 3 Portable, but I found that coming from the couple of hours I played of FES, Persona 4 is a hell of a lot better in terms of getting into it - Everything is laid out a hell of a lot better, there's no massive difficulty spikes in terms of boss battles, and the scheduling in P4 is a lot easier to understand than 'herp a derp, keep going up this here 250 floor dungeon' and fretting over how far you've actually got to reach.

It kind of shows when I've only put in about 6 hours into Persona 3 FES, and 130 Hours into Vanilla Persona 4. I've heard it's quite advisable to play them the other way around, as you'll get to grips with the basics of Persona fusion and fully understand spell names before jumping into something that's fairly cryptic when it's first shown to you in P3. I'm probably talking out of my arse, though.

Speaking of arses, June-ish (just before School Trip) plot:

I fucking died laughing at Hanako breaking Yosuke's motorbike. Coming from Vanilla, that was worth £30 for that scene alone.

14 hours and Level 24 at the moment.

Work has meant I am only getting short spells on the game. I've not played a game this engaging for ages.

I had such a great time on this last night, 19 hours on the clock and completely engrossed.

I fused an amazing Rakshasa with S-link level 8 worth of bonuses, and 3 extras from the fusion forecast. He has:

• Cleave
  • Gale Slash
  • Kill Rush
  • Power Charge
  • Mudo
  • Auto-Tarukaja
  • Dodge Physical
  • Counter

He's a monster, and the perfect partner to my healing and buffing High Pixie.

Looking forward to another 5 hour session tonight :omg:

• Upvote 2

Good shit, Takizawa! Get on those Vita native screencaps as well (PS Button and Start), and we can have a party.

A party of OH GOD LOOK AT THESE BROKEN POKÉMONS. (Spoiler'd because the images are rather large, not really spoilerific)

qw5WwIH.jpg

Keep in mind that the main character in my game has a weapon that has a side effect that does Auto-Tarukaja, so what basically happens during a common dungeon raid is that Damage/Accuracy buffs kick in, and then EVERYTHING DIES from Mind Slice. Only problem is because it's basically my starter and can't be arsed to change it, Ose tends to get all the Emperor/Magician rewards, which is a bit shit. And, uh, if I get hit with Hama I'm fucked.

On the bright side, Mediarama/Spirit Drain/Invigorate 3 is basically the unholy trinity. Smack everything with physical attacks while Invigorate tops up 14SP over two turns, Mediarama heals for 50HP more than I actually use. for 12SP.

And then I went on a fusing binge after getting to the top of the latest dungeon, and shit got real.

ztUQLFV.jpg

One Magician and Emperor away from all Ma-Elements and Null Fire to pass around. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Plus, Combs on her motherfucking head. COMBS!

I also made an album with the others, but they're all fairly standard.

This is my first Persona game so i've no idea what you said, but it sounds awesome :)

I didn't know about the screenshot thing either :o

Here he is!

post-63-0-75279000-1362597951_thumb.jpg