rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Qazimod

Persona 4 Golden

Hooked, just brief moment into the game. It strikes just how well presented this is.

With a lot of other games, I tend to get bored of the dialogue, but here it just draws you in.

During the opening I just kept thinking to myself... "I should have grabbed a screenshot of that"

What happens at the end, there is an NG+, right? Or can you keep messing about in an endless tower, or something?

There's an NG+ but it's a bit weak since you don't carry over character levels. However, you do carry over your persona compendium and cash, so you can summon your best Persona as soon as the compendium's available and take down early bosses with ease. :) Aside from that, there are multiple endings depending on certain choices you make ingame, so there's incentive to replay.

I would say though that most of those endings are crap and some will leave a very bad taste in your mouth so I'm not entirely sure that's incentive, really.

I'd have bitten on a download for £30, but instead I've gone with ShopTo for that price. It's in stock so hopefully I'll get it tomorrow; I'm going away on Friday for a few weeks, probably before the post arrives.

I'm sure you all appreciated that insight into my life. You feel your relationship with me will grow closer soon.

• Upvote 5

i don't understand. this sounds kind of cool, i can download it on my PS3, but it says Vita only. can i not play it on my PS3? that's very misleading and confusing.

You can download it on PS3 and transfer it to your Vita that way. I think it's for people who only have wired connections available to them, as shopping directly via the Vita store requires you to connect via wifi.

Yeah, it's pretty confusing at first, I was pretty disappointed to be unable to play PSP games on the PS3.

Okay, new game started, Normal difficulty, no NG+. Currently building experience in the first real dungeon and being reminded how vulnerable you are at the start before you really start earning money, selling materials, getting better kit, and eventually getting better personae. My personal approach with dungeons is to do as much battling as I can before my SP is near rock-bottom so that I make the most of each visit, although to do that you need to have an exit plan otherwise you'll be stuck in the middle of a dungeon with no way of healing and a long distance from the entrance. It's kind of why Teddie's Goho-M's are so helpful at the start. Even so, the game overs are much more generous than in the PS2 game; rather than booting you to the title screen after getting KO'd, you can choose to restart from the last floor you reached, or from the dungeon entrance. That said, this luxury isn't available on harder difficulties. :)

There's an NG+ but it's a bit weak since you don't carry over character levels. However, you do carry over your persona compendium and cash, so you can summon your best Persona as soon as the compendium's available and take down early bosses with ease. :) Aside from that, there are multiple endings depending on certain choices you make ingame, so there's incentive to replay.

I heard you also keep your courage / academics and / charm too, which is great if so as I maxed all of mine. More time for social link maximisation!

Accidentally bought Persona today when I went to get a Vita case to stop it get bashed up. Presentation seems great and the story already seems quite mysterious and cool. I haven't done much 'playing' yet, but that's the nature of a slow-burn RPG right? I don't really know anything about the game at all except that it's meant to be good.

Started this today, it really looks very nice on the screen. Had a proper unintentional LOL moment during the introduction too, when the main character complains about being dizzy and lightheaded after a long car journey and decides to get some fresh air. And the moment you get control, he zips around the screen like some Husain Bolt on steroids sprinter. Not bad for somebody who almost fainted only seconds ago.

This missed my Top 5 of 2012, cause...erm, i didn't import it til this year.

It's still one of the best games i've played, and i'm only 25 hours in.

This missed my Top 5 of 2012, cause...erm, i didn't import it til this year.

It's still one of the best games i've played, and i'm only 25 hours in.

I got it in December but left it off my vote in the rllmuk awards since I figured more people would be playing this year. So yeah, GOTY 2013! :P

got it, love it.

the little touches over the original game make such a difference; ie, the first section of the game feels a lot less dragged out now.

love the music videos via the TV channel changer :wub:

This has actually killed Ni No Kuni for me :(

The inclusion of speech for all key characters throughout P4 really adds so much to the experience, going back to Ni No afterwards felt like a step back.

• Upvote 1

This has actually killed Ni No Kuni for me :(

The inclusion of speech for all key characters throughout P4 really adds so much to the experience, going back to Ni No afterwards felt like a step back.

Funnily enough, I was going to post exactly that in the Ni No Kuni thread.

How they can justify having so little speech when this, a ps vita game, has so much more, is beyond me. Makes Ni No Kuni look very cheap, which isn't what you'd expect from a game with Studio Ghibli involvement.

Well that was surprising, managing to defeat all enemies in Yukiko's castle. Only to finally find her and the boss wipe me in one hit. Most annoying.

Got my early birthday present today of a Vita and Persona 4 Golden.

Can't wait to play it for myself after watching the entire Giantbomb Endurance Run a couple of years back.

• Upvote 1

Mmmm. Put about an hour and a half into this last night instead of just booting it up and saving at the first save point I got to as intended. It looks *incredible* and the amount of extra content is great, along with the streamlining of the start of the game, which lets you save at the fuel station and gives you another chance to save not long after rather than the original which would require about ~45 minutes of play before you could save for the first time.

Chie's voice actor is getting on my nerves a little but then I am comparing them to the original Persona 4 voice actor. The difference between the two really changes the outlook and attitude of Chie's character though I don't expect anyone for who P4G is their first exposure to Persona 4 to give any fucks whatsoever :)

:wub:

Chie's voice actor is getting on my nerves a little but then I am comparing them to the original Persona 4 voice actor. The difference between the two really changes the outlook and attitude of Chie's character though I don't expect anyone for who P4G is their first exposure to Persona 4 to give any fucks whatsoever :)

Apparently they changed VAs for Teddie and Chie, although Ted's is a bit more subtle. I think Chie's really stands out at the start and seems pretty annoying, but you kind of become accustomed to it after a while and it becomes a bit less noticeable... although I still prefer the original VA.

After a bit more progress I'm noticing I always have a few "safe" persona to fuse on each playthrough, starting out by trying to get Valkyrie as soon as I can, levelling up Yukiko's social link and then much later attempting to get someone like Parvati. My habit of collecting and registering every persona I can find at least opens up a lot of fusion options, and having decent party-wide healing skills (Valkyrie's Media, Parvati's Mediarama) is always helpful. Even better, I have Teddie's Traesto (instantly escape to the dungeon entrance) skill to hand now, so there's no need to buy all those Goho-Ms... :P

Yeah, I really like this.

I've only played Persona 3 (on PC, via emulation) and thought that was brilliant. However, I never completed it, and I always found the fusion stuff a bit confusing. Incidentally, for those that have run through it, how achievable is the platinum in this? Doable by someone who's a bit shit at these things? Is it essentially a grind to tick loads of boxes?

I really like the online features. Sometimes I'll feel a bit stuck and the online stuff helps you along seeing what other people did. The voice acing is fine. Teddie does feel a little off compared to the original Japanese voices (going by youtube clips) but they could have been far worse.