Do You Think Goldeneye...

acidforblood

I fired the old girl up a couple of days ago for the first time in what must be a year and bugger me, she looks like the queen mother ;)

Whether it is my old, worn out joypad or the framerate but she seems very slow as well. It didn't matter one jot though really because after 5 mins i was back in the 007 saddle but it must be said(again) that early 3d games do age prematurely.

I think 3d ages pretty badly. I had the same trouble with Gran Turismo last night. Just couldn't get back into it.

However stuff like OOT and Mario is still passable along with Paper Mario (tho' I appreciate the lack of a third dimension with the latter).

It is very slow moving, but everything still feels right and solid, the only tig that lets it down is guard detail, but even they are respectable. But the whole having to shoot out the alarms or lock on the first level, its till a classic and so highly polished it'll never age badly.

When I play Goldeneye these days I'm thankful that I played it so much close to release. If it weren't for the joy of being familiar with it all, I'm quite sure the technical failings would let it down. However, it won't be long before I'll be able to play it perfectly emulated and it will be great again, for I think the biggest problem is the low resolution. Mario 64 and others are incredible in 1024 x 768.

Paper Mario is surely not completely lacking a third dimension? Maybe not true 3D, but it's not straight side-on.

I bought N64 about 2 months ago and haven't played it that much and felt early 3D ages badly compared to quality 2D graphics.

Stonker of a point my friend. My i think my SNES games aged better soincally and visually than a lot of PS1 games

Yep, it looks fucking terrible, and in PAL guise feels like it's in slow motion. But it's still a fantastic game, which no amount of time will change.

I don't think Ridge Racer or Sega Rally (in their acade versions at least) have aged that badly at all. It's just the fact that 3D on early home consoles was terrible, but it was all new to us at the time, so we put up with it.

Surely they're completely different games??

Both FPS shooters with extensive multiplayer options?

GoldenEye is probably most fondly remembered/played today for its multiplayer, something which is now done better in Halo. If Halo did not exist I reckon GE would be played a lot more than it is now.

Both FPS shooters with extensive multiplayer options?

GoldenEye is probably most fondly remembered/played today for its multiplayer, something which is now done better in Halo. If Halo did not exist I reckon GE would be played a lot more than it is now.

Goldeneye is very much a closed mission based FPS, played in corridors, and tightly controlled play areas, with static AI.

Halo is very open, and it can be played in different ways to suit the players choice. It has AI that can be toyed with, and its levels are designed to be (I hate this word, but it suits what I'm saying) 'organic'.

Halo is only played more because its current gen.

Yeah, Stebbo's right. I'd add that the single player missions are differently structured (long levels with checkpoints vs. short levels with none). This does make a difference to how you play.

Even in multiplayer I think Halo and Goldeneye offer differing experiences. Most people (well, me and my friends) always used license to kill on Goldeneye and the different weapon sets change the strategies to a large extent.

if you look though, in comparison to mischief makers (released before i believe) it looks bad and thats because 2D just ages better.

mario 64 still looks good and OOT (which i remember thinking looked gorgeous and amazing when i first saw it) looks worse, but the quality of the game still totally negates that like with FFVII

True, but remember that the snes was a pinnacle of 2d display. the Neo-Geo and saturn offered the same standard of visuals, just at a different speed. The current age of 3D is one that is still progressing, but IS reaching a point where its starting to level out. Early 3D outings have dated faster to this gen, than this gen will to next. If you know what I mean :/

In all honesty it does feel a bit cock after playing Halo etc....but then again, FPS's have improved a lot graphically etc...

Noooo! goldeneye still hasnt been bettered, stillmost games being made havent taken on board what goldeneye showed us to be right.

I got an xbox and halo for xmas . I love fps s, me and my mate have tried playing thru on co operative, the game is shite, no really i would normally say "its not to my taste" but really if i have spend another five minutes wondering about lost i ll cry. yeah it has great AI, and yeah great idea about the two weapons, and yeah the wart hog is fun, but the rest of the game is average at best.

Even in multiplayer I think Halo and Goldeneye offer differing experiences. Most people (well, me and my friends) always used license to kill on Goldeneye and the different weapon sets change the strategies to a large extent.

you do know you can customise Halo to the hilt too?

True, but remember that the snes was a pinnacle of 2d display.

what about Guilty Gear X2. I bet that's not possible on the SNES. It's just gorgeous and we need a new 2D Sonic or Mario with that quality of animation.

Noooo! goldeneye still hasnt been bettered, stillmost games being made havent taken on board what goldeneye showed us to be right.

I got an xbox and halo for xmas . I love fps s, me and my mate have tried playing thru on co operative, the game is shite, no really i would normally say "its not to my taste" but really if i have spend another five minutes wondering about lost i ll cry. yeah it has great AI, and yeah great idea about the two weapons, and yeah the wart hog is fun, but the rest of the game is average at best.

Ha ha hilarious. What a wind up.

As for my own thoughts. I played Goldeneye again about 2 weeks ago on 007. Fault-a-licious. I'd love to see it remade but as it stands it has aged really badly.

Perfect Dark seems much tighter to me but having finished that on Perfect Agent when it first came out i spotted so many flaws it would take pages just to write them with the worst offender being friendly AI.

N64 emulation is one of the few cases where the games play way better than on the original hardware. Get a joypad adapter, jack up the resolution and all the graphical effects and they look and play so much better.

Also, totally different games.

Goldeneye; genius single player, limited multiplayer.

Halo; dull single player, sublime multiplayer.

Or at least thats how it is for me.

you do know you can customise Halo to the hilt too?

Yes, but as regards weapon sets I was referring to the set of weapons in Goldeneye and the set of weapons in Halo. It's the whole thing about Halo's weapons being balanced in an ingenious and varied way, whereas Goldeneye's are more conventional.

Many of that generation of games have aged poorly, I couldn't belive how poor Gran Turismo and Resident Evil 2 looked when I booted them up recently. Not so long ago I was drooling over those graphics.

In comparison many old SNES and Megadrive games still look fine, the 16-bit generation has aged much better in my opinion.