IGNORED

DRIVECLUB - being put to sleep by Sony in March 2020

Rushy

Just had a session on this. It's still as good as I remember!

Think it's the almost perfect driving roads in fantastic scenery that does it for me. Great locations and great roads. Weather effects are fantastic too. And those moody skies....the clouds etc are stunning simply stunning. Just had a few races in Norway, Japan and the Scottish Highlands. Love it. 

What I like most though is no BS. Simple menus, quick to set up events and off you go. Love it's purity and no shouty people jibber jabbering seemingly all the time it's refreshing. Don't think we'll ever see the like on consoles again sadly.

My two favourite racers of all time are this and PGR4. At least I can still play this on new hardware. And so glad I can. Best £5 spent for a while. This is going to give me hours of entertainment.

If you like driving and driving games. Do yourself a favour and pick this up. It's fantastic value for money.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just had a session on this. It's still as good as I remember!

Think it's the almost perfect driving roads in fantastic scenery that does it for me. Great locations and great roads. Weather effects are fantastic too. And those moody skies....the clouds etc are stunning simply stunning. Just had a few races in Norway, Japan and the Scottish Highlands. Love it. 

What I like most though is no BS. Simple menus, quick to set up events and off you go. Love it's purity and no shouty people jibber jabbering seemingly all the time it's refreshing. Don't think we'll ever see the like on consoles again sadly.

My two favourite racers of all time are this and PGR4. At least I can still play this on new hardware. And so glad I can. Best £5 spent for a while. This is going to give me hours of entertainment.

If you like driving and driving games. Do yourself a favour and pick this up. It's fantastic value for money.

Haha yeah the skies (and the colour palette to match) are really great aren’t they? Scotland tracks are absolutely spot on and the India tracks look proper hot and sticky.

Such a great sense of place compared to other games that are happy to just stick a flag on very other sign. 

10 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well hopefully one day we find out the whole story. The studio and the game could have been haemorrhaging  money for all we know.

Didn’t it ‘flop’ relative to its budget and expectations and of course it was a total mess making Sony look a bit silly for months so it’s not that surprising that they pulled the plug.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Haha yeah the skies (and the colour palette to match) are really great aren’t they? Scotland tracks are absolutely spot on and the India tracks look proper hot and sticky.

Such a great sense of place compared to other games that are happy to just stick a flag on very other sign. 

I remember reading an Edge preview with Rushy and some of his team and they were talking about the level of detail lavished on the game. In particular the clouds. Some details here:-

"51 DRIVECLUB details that might just blow your mind – PlayStation.Blog" https://blog.playstation.com/archive/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

Ironically you can't actually get the game from Sony's store but you can read about it .... Sad indeed.

It's detail like this that I absolutely love and it still shows because this game still looks and plays great today. Sony really need to freshen the game up a bit and do a remaster for the PS5! It would be phernominal! PS5 isn't exactly awash with decent racers. Shame it never achieved the status of a Naughty Dog game where money is spent to remaster those.

In the end I suppose racing games aren't that popular anymore and it seems if doesn't involve violence or shooting things don't get a look in these days. :(

Still we have Gran Turismo but it's not really an arcade racer. At least we can thankfully still enjoy DC.

On a separate note I really hope Sony don't narrow output down too much.... They brought me worlds to explore like Ico and Shadow of the collosus. Experiences like Journey, flower, flOw. Places like Everyone's gone to the rapture. Ability to creating and share crazy things through Little Big Planet and Dreams. And smiling and feeling like a child again playing things like Tearaway or LocoRoco. Jumping up and down trying to clean windows with Eyetoy and thumping buzzers trying to beat people to answer questions in Buzz. Or even trying to outsing each other (very badly as the recordings proved!) on Singstar! Oh and not forgetting bringing VR into the hands of the masses.

Sony made some wonderful memories for me and contributions to gaming over the years. Just hope that that Sony is still in there. Playing Astrobot suggests to me it is alive and well and gives me hope!

Think between them Sony (and Nintendo) have kept gaming exciting for me over the years. Constantly innovating and turning tech into fun things. 

Ramble over.... :D

26 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Would this be that hard to patch?

Easier to turn the server back on.

Here's the moan (which I've made before, probably in this thread).

So you just bought a new PS5.  There's probably going to be a PS6 one day and a PS7 after that.  They're all linked to your PSN account.  PSN is a monthly service that you pay for. It's not going away, it's a base part of the consoles infrastructure. 

Sony is not a small business. They have doubled profits in 2021 on revenues totalling 83.3 billion.  

When you buy a product, you make a deal with the brand.  Instead of buying a Polaroid TV at Asda for £200 I bought a Sony for £600.  I agree to spend that money and in return I expect the high standards I expect from a Sony TV. 

So when I buy a PlayStation 3, 4 or 5 I'm committing to that system and have an expectation of the quality I will get in return for my cash.  I held off buying a PS4 at first but Driveclub was the game that convinced me to upgrade. It had issues but it was still a great game, despite the multiplayer not working. But then they patched all the issues and it just became a better game with every update. Culminating in it becoming the best racer on PS4.

Sony has made the PS5 backward compatible with the PS4. They want brand loyalty, they want you to have a library of games that you don't want to lose.  They want you to stay in that ecosystem.  If you buy next gen, all your games come along with you and everything remains current.  Your gametag remains the same, your trophies sync, it's still you.  

So when a few weeks ago I posted on the forum how great Daytona on 360 is, a few of us got together and played and it was great. You can sit in that waiting room alone for a week in the hope of meeting someone but if you can get some friends together it's all there for you. And this seems to be the case for the majority of games, including many Sony titles that predate Driveclub. 

So, with all the evidence you can only conclude that Sony just decided "we don't like this game any more, so we gon turn it off now".

It's an incredible fuck-you from a company that turned over 83 billion last year and it shows a massive failure of the very idea of the PSN network.  

First they came for Driveclub and I did not speak up because I didn't play it much.  But what's to stop this happening with any other games?  

Seriously it's enough to make me avoid PS5 altogether. You pay for a game, you pay for the dlc, and then, for internal business reasons they turn it off? 

Fuck em. They don't get my money. 

30 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Easier to turn the server back on.

Here's the moan (which I've made before, probably in this thread).

So you just bought a new PS5.  There's probably going to be a PS6 one day and a PS7 after that.  They're all linked to your PSN account.  PSN is a monthly service that you pay for. It's not going away, it's a base part of the consoles infrastructure. 

Sony is not a small business. They have doubled profits in 2021 on revenues totalling 83.3 billion.  

When you buy a product, you make a deal with the brand.  Instead of buying a Polaroid TV at Asda for £200 I bought a Sony for £600.  I agree to spend that money and in return I expect the high standards I expect from a Sony TV. 

So when I buy a PlayStation 3, 4 or 5 I'm committing to that system and have an expectation of the quality I will get in return for my cash.  I held off buying a PS4 at first but Driveclub was the game that convinced me to upgrade. It had issues but it was still a great game, despite the multiplayer not working. But then they patched all the issues and it just became a better game with every update. Culminating in it becoming the best racer on PS4.

Sony has made the PS5 backward compatible with the PS4. They want brand loyalty, they want you to have a library of games that you don't want to lose.  They want you to stay in that ecosystem.  If you buy next gen, all your games come along with you and everything remains current.  Your gametag remains the same, your trophies sync, it's still you.  

So when a few weeks ago I posted on the forum how great Daytona on 360 is, a few of us got together and played and it was great. You can sit in that waiting room alone for a week in the hope of meeting someone but if you can get some friends together it's all there for you. And this seems to be the case for the majority of games, including many Sony titles that predate Driveclub. 

So, with all the evidence you can only conclude that Sony just decided "we don't like this game any more, so we gon turn it off now".

It's an incredible fuck-you from a company that turned over 83 billion last year and it shows a massive failure of the very idea of the PSN network.  

First they came for Driveclub and I did not speak up because I didn't play it much.  But what's to stop this happening with any other games?  

Seriously it's enough to make me avoid PS5 altogether. You pay for a game, you pay for the dlc, and then, for internal business reasons they turn it off? 

Fuck em. They don't get my money. 

Driveclub is not alone (across all the consoles) in having multi-player servers turned off, the ham-fisted way they’ve done it leaving the server message is very irritating but the game is still playable.

The other thing that annoys me is I missed the last couple of DLCs which just sit there taunting me, making me sad but I guess that’s down to licencing.

No more Evolution Studios is the worst part of it all, Motorstorm PR, Motorstorm RC and Driveclub are all brilliant.

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

Lucky you chose one of a very small number of driving games on the backward compatible list there. What about if you want to play an older Forza or Outrun2? Have you similarly sworn off Microsoft because you can’t play them?

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Maybe he's playing them on a 360?  On which all the Forzas are available and work as well as they ever did. 3 of the 4 Horizons and the last 3 Motorsports all work on the latest console too.

Which horizon can’t be played on a series s/x?

Colorado

Southern France 

Australia

Norther Britain 

have all been sampled by me at one point or another these last few years on my bonex

16 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Colorado

Southern France 

Australia

Norther Britain 

have all been sampled by me at one point or another these last few years on my bonex

The first 3 have been delisted from sale on the digital store. 

30 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Colorado

Southern France 

Australia

Norther Britain 

I thought 2 was incompatible but of course it was an Xbox One game so it will be.

The 360 version of FH2 is probably the only one you can't.

BitterToad is right, you can't buy them digitally anymore, so the DLC is lost to you if you don't own it but such servers as any of them need are all up as far as I know.

On 01/06/2021 at 14:46, dumpster said:

But, once it exists.... It exists.  It can't cost that much to keep a server running,

I think we tend to underestimate the hardware involved,staff support costs, and so on. Reading this thread yesterday, it made me wonder if it was all home grown or standard cloud stuff (and how standard, this was 2014), and whether studio staff supported it versus someone else. If you're binning the studio anyway, do you want to pay to migrate support (and possibly hardware)? Who retained the IP for all of it? I only ask because of the issues at the start, and I don't know if it was mentioned if net code or server or both.

Nothing insurmountable for Sony, but it was probably easy to consider sales versus overhead and bin it. Assuming the decision was even that granular, it'll be interesting to hear from someone when/if NDAs permit.

I'm playing Outrun 2 on a 360 and that's from the OG Xbox disk. The issue here is not one of back compatibility (which Microsoft seems to be doing an excellent job of) but more the issue if putting it all in a box in the garage and dipping in when you can.  When I get the Dreamcast, the PS2 etc from my garage and plug them in, they just work.  Driveclub was switched off by Sony while the PS4 was still the current gen machine.  I believe that if PSN is to remain a trustworthy service they need to provide legacy support to games you purchased that require access to it.  This applies to so many games and even though there is a cost to running a server for a handful of people they made 83 billion quid last year.  If I commit my cash to purchasing the game they should run it for at least the life of the console. 

Sega did it with the Dreamcast, when they turned off the Dreamcast servers they stuck a new dreamkey disk on the magazine that let you use BT (or maybe your own choice of provider, I'm not sure).  I bet Chu Chu Rocket still works if you try it.

9 hours ago, SeanR said:

that sucks. thank god I have them on an external drive!

It's ok, if you own them you can download them.

But delisting is a separate point to server status (although partially related). The Forzas had to be delisted because of licencing, likely DC too.

But you can keep servers running.  

Could anyone provide me with a comprehensive list of racers that are similar to this?

I always end up coming back to this as my go to racing game. It's such as shame the servers are offline as this really is fantastic!

1 hour ago, Cootinho said:

Could anyone provide me with a comprehensive list of racers that are similar to this?

I always end up coming back to this as my go to racing game. It's such as shame the servers are offline as this really is fantastic!

there ain’t nothing quite like it.

The actual racing in TDU I guess?  Not quite as dynamic, or as pretty, but it’s variable landscapes and many many cars. Or a better Forza horizon?

aesthetically it would be forza7

1 hour ago, Cootinho said:

in terms of handling, the pgr games and project cars 3.

6 hours ago, Cootinho said:

Project Cars 3 just feels like the spiritual successor in terms of event structure, objectives and handling, no great surprise considering ex-Driveclub devs worked on it. Multiplayer is dead though, other than rivals (time trials).

I’d also suggest Wreckfest, the cars handle nothing like DriveClub, a lot looser as they’re mostly bangers after all, often raced on dirty bumpy tracks but they control great when you gets used to them. It also has some fantastic tracks and is great to just jump on for a few quick races. Absolutely hilarious at times when you’re picking your way round the wrecks on later laps or racing on a crossover track.

Lastly WRC 9, just because it’s great although being Rally, nothing like DriveClub.

These are my go to racers on PS5 at the moment, all played with a pad.

40 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Might have to try Project Cars 3.

I’ve never bothered with any of the series previously and didn’t think it was comparable to DC. Will have to give it a whirl.

PCars 3 is not a sim and nothing like PCars 1 or 2 which is why there was all the hoo-ha and negative press on release.

On 02/06/2021 at 21:28, Dudley said:

Maybe he's playing them on a 360?  On which all the Forzas are available and work as well as they ever did. 3 of the 4 Horizons and the last 3 Motorsports all work on the latest console too.

Late reply but I still have Outrun 2 on the 360 and as far as I know you can still play online.  It's tricky, like my earlier example of Daytona - need to ring your mates and tell them to get on board (because so few people still have access) but Xbox Live is still up and running and you can still play Outrun 2 online if you can find someone. Or am I wrong?

2 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Might have to try Project Cars 3.

I’ve never bothered with any of the series previously and didn’t think it was comparable to DC. Will have to give it a whirl.

They weren't, PC1 and 2 are at least near-sims.

PC3 is hugely controversial because it's sod all to do with the first two and is really Need for Speed Shift 3 which was also by the same devs.

But in this case it could be perfect for you.