DRIVECLUB - being put to sleep by Sony in March 2020

Rushy

Oh jeez I'm going to have to get this again aren't I? At least I can still play it on the PS5!

Has this completely gone from the store now? So it will be pre-owned disk?

I’m loving it. Just going through and mopping up the stars I missed in the campaign, but it looks and feels so good to play. Especially with the Spotify app doing it’s thing in the background.

Just realised, I should try and find a Ridge Racer playlist!

10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just searched the store through the app and there's nothing for Driveclub there at all.

That's sad.... Still think Sony stuffed up with this they should have left the servers on and put out a patch out for PS5 to upgrade to 60fps and at least upscale to 4K. Would still look glorious. Still it plays well enough and still works on PS5 at least.

16 minutes ago, SeanR said:

can you still get the updates and dlc?

It's updating at the moment so I guess it will patch to the last released version. I'll see if the DLC is available to download once it's patched! 

26 minutes ago, MattyP said:

That's sad.... Still think Sony stuffed up with this they should have left the servers on and put out a patch out for PS5 to upgrade to 60fps and at least upscale to 4K. Would still look glorious. Still it plays well enough and still works on PS5 at least.

It's updating at the moment so I guess it will patch to the last released version. I'll see if the DLC is available to download once it's patched! 

I’d love to know the background for what happened as I get the impression they really pissed Sony off? I know it was a pretty botched launch but it’s one of their only games I can think of that they’ve actually taken offline. Mind you, MS did the same with the older Forza games so I guess those car licenses have something to do with it.

By far my favourite Racer on PS4 and so much better than anything else, I've always thought there must be more to the story. Yes, it wasn't ready at launch and the online was broken and there was no weather ,but my God, when they fixed all the issues it transformed.  It's appalling they switched off the servers so early and they didn't even patch out the error messages that causes.  

Even the cut down VR version is great, it just launched with the headset so it made everyone sick.  If you're used to VR now, Driveclub VR is awesome too.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

By far my favourite Racer on PS4 and so much better than anything else, I've always thought there must be more to the story. Yes, it wasn't ready at launch and the online was broken and there was no weather ,but my God, when they fixed all the issues it transformed.  It's appalling they switched off the servers so early and they didn't even patch out the error messages that causes.  

Even the cut down VR version is great, it just launched with the headset so it made everyone sick.  If you're used to VR now, Driveclub VR is awesome too.

Driving around the VR versions tracks in a Caterham 7, once you've unlocked it, is the best racing fun I've had.

17 hours ago, dumpster said:

It's appalling they switched off the servers so early and they didn't even patch out the error messages that causes.  

Be tricky to do that given they'd already fired everyone involved and shut down the studio.

But yeah, if you wonder why they didn't rush say, Halo Infinite for the Xbox launch, this is why.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

But yeah, if you wonder why they didn't rush say, Halo Infinite for the Xbox launch, this is why.

And there was me thinking it was because MS took one look at it and went “no chance”.

Yeah. They make one of the best racers ever, get fired and have Sony spit on their product before attempting to essentially wipe it from existence without quite going all the way.

Huh?

33 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

And there was me thinking it was because MS took one look at it and went “no chance”.

Switch out MS with “the internet” and you’d be more accurate.

17 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Yeah. They make one of the best racers ever, get fired and have Sony spit on their product before attempting to essentially wipe it from existence without quite going all the way.

Huh?

Well hopefully one day we find out the whole story. The studio and the game could have been haemorrhaging  money for all we know.

3 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well hopefully one day we find out the whole story. The studio and the game could have been haemorrhaging  money for all we know.

But, once it exists.... It exists.  It can't cost that much to keep a server running, especially if, as Sony say, no-one plays any more.  For me, it's a real sticking point to buying a new console, you can pay £70 for a game and find Sony turn it off.  I have a garage full of old consoles and old games and they all work perfectly today.  The current generations feel like a rental system where you can play your games as long as Microsoft and Sony let you.  

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

But, once it exists.... It exists.  It can't cost that much to keep a server running, especially if, as Sony say, no-one plays any more.  For me, it's a real sticking point to buying a new console, you can pay £70 for a game and find Sony turn it off.  I have a garage full of old consoles and old games and they all work perfectly today.  The current generations feel like a rental system where you can play your games as long as Microsoft and Sony let you.  

But keeping car licenses for ongoing live games can’t be cheap. MS has done the same for the older Forza games and look at the lack of almost any racers in the backwards compatibility lists. Even SEGA delisted Outrun.

It must be pretty expensive as it seems to be standard practice.

@Sarlaccfood you're definitely right, but to me it puts me off future purchasing.  Is it better to make a game that doesn't have specific branded cars? Or agree a licence where the end date doesn't affect previous purchases? After all, you can't buy Driveclub online any more, it's purely existing customers who paid for their product and find it's been remotely switched off. I cant think of a comparable industry where that happens. 

When I bought Outrun 2, Sega had the Ferrari licence.  When I play it today it's exactly the same as it was in 2006.  So why, when I buy Driveclub in 2014, should business agreements and licences affect MY ability to play it? Sure, they can't sell it any more, they no longer have the licences.  But I paid for that. 

Imagine listening to some music you bought in 2014 and there's no drummer.  There used to be, but some corporate licencing agreement meant they only had the licence for that drummer for 5 years, the licence expires and now there's no drummer on that album when you listen to it.  No-one would accept that.

24 minutes ago, dumpster said:

@Sarlaccfood you're definitely right, but to me it puts me off future purchasing.  Is it better to make a game that doesn't have specific branded cars? Or agree a licence where the end date doesn't affect previous purchases? After all, you can't buy Driveclub online any more, it's purely existing customers who paid for their product and find it's been remotely switched off. I cant think of a comparable industry where that happens. 

When I bought Outrun 2, Sega had the Ferrari licence.  When I play it today it's exactly the same as it was in 2006.  So why, when I buy Driveclub in 2014, should business agreements and licences affect MY ability to play it? Sure, they can't sell it any more, they no longer have the licences.  But I paid for that. 

Imagine listening to some music you bought in 2014 and there's no drummer.  There used to be, but some corporate licencing agreement meant they only had the licence for that drummer for 5 years, the licence expires and now there's no drummer on that album when you listen to it.  No-one would accept that.

Yeah doesn’t explain a lack of Ridge Racer on anything either. 

With regards to Driveclub, you can play it though?

2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah doesn’t explain a lack of Ridge Racer on anything either. 

With regards to Driveclub, you can play it though?

Yes but without the multiplayer options and with error messages displayed on single player.  You just wouldn't accept this in any other marketplace.  Imagine Disney buying Lucasfilm and suddenly your DVDs dont play.  I agree with all your points, but it just doesn't seem fair that a businesses decisions affect a product I paid for in the past. The 'live' nature of these games make them transient experiences you buy into for a period of time, rather than games you own in your collection. 

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

Yes but without the multiplayer options and with error messages displayed on single player.  You just wouldn't accept this in any other marketplace.  Imagine Disney buying Lucasfilm and suddenly your DVDs dont play.  I agree with all your points, but it just doesn't seem fair that a businesses decisions affect a product I paid for in the past. The 'live' nature of these games make them transient experiences you buy into for a period of time, rather than games you own in your collection. 

Driveclub was supposed to be a PSN game from inception and given away free with PSN+. Then Sony fiddled with things and then released it as a full price retail game. So expeditions of a full price retail game went with it. They also released the PS+ version long after the retail version too.

Car crash from start to finish. Should have left it as a freebie to drive PS+ subs and had microtransactions in it like the Fortnite model. Or just well given it away as a loss lead.

Someone probably got greedy somewhere along the line is my best guess.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

But keeping car licenses for ongoing live games can’t be cheap.

You wouldn't need licences to run the server.  You'd obviously not be able to sell it though.