IGNORED

Killzone Shadow Fall

Nespresso

Some points. Terrible checkpoint placement, tiny waypoint indicator that isn't as helpful as it should be, tiny font size. Now I have a 42" telly and though my vision is severely impaired, with glasses on its very good but by Christ do I struggle reading the in game text. Visually it's stunning though.

When I started this for the first time the audio on the opening cinematic was all choppy and hissy. In the game itself it seems fine, Resogun is fine and so are trailers I've watched on the store. Anyone else had this?

Yeah I had exactly the same thing. I was downloading Contrast at the time (and Killzone was queued for some kind of update?) and I think that may have been the issue. Once Contrast downloaded I restarted Killzone and it was fine.

Yep the text is illegible. Must have been developed and tested by people sitting with their faces pressed against a monitor, they forgot that it would be played on the TV from a distance.

The game expects you to learn too much too quickly. The progression of the first open level bit is too fast and overwhelming and gets frustrating quickly. I have a high tolerance to FPSs but already think this might test my patience too much - I want to like it but it might be a struggle to complete it.

People haven't cottoned onto looking for cloaked dudes yet. I was running around happily shanking dudes like I was the Predator for ages, then when I got bored with that I switched to Support, set up a turret at a choke point and pretended I was in Aliens instead.

It took me a few attempts to do Chapter 2 thanks to those guys. Either I was busy trying to deal with them and getting caught from behind by grunts, or I dealt with the grunts and kept getting taken out by the "cloaked dudes". This is just an initial play through on easy, you still have to put some thought into what you are doing unlike many FPS games.

It's really hard to not keep stopping to bask in the glorious visuals. Even if it's just your own shadow!

I'm not sure I'm ready for playing randoms at MP, but we should get a mukker game going this weekend. I assume we can have private games?

Bigger text coming in an update by the sound of it. Its really hard to read from a totally normal distance :(

People haven't cottoned onto looking for cloaked dudes yet. I was running around happily shanking dudes like I was the Predator for ages, then when I got bored with that I switched to Support, set up a turret at a choke point and pretended I was in Aliens instead.

If 2 and 3 are any indication, most people are generally crap at the game compared to most FPSes

No, its just me. It is TDU with the Burnout Paradise handling model. Almost like it auto compensates with abs and tc and all other driving aids to keep you on the road. That or I'm v.familiar with the cars and can throw them around like this naturally?

I really like this game. The aesthetic is right up my alley, the guns handle well and the different fire modes make them interesting. The lighting is unbelievably good and goes a long way to creating as great atmosphere. The main weapon feels very much like a gun from District 9 - that charged long shot is glorious. The sound design is fantastic, the damage modelling to the gameworld weighted and convincing. It's a tough game with no auto-aim, no handholding. If you let the enemy gang up on you, you're fucked. You have to use the owl carefully as well as the adrenaline which gives you some brilliant bullet-time fun. It's nice to think your way out of certain death for a change.

It's like FEAR on steroids. Shooting bad armoured men in slow motion with evil futuristic death dealing weapons , except this time it's gobsmackingly pretty.

you know what's rubbish? This loading screen:

1463052_10151690503066486_1325651634_n.j

especially if it's followed by this one:

946051_10151690503636486_1146801880_n.jp

I mean, this was the first time I'd stuck the disc in... except from the first screencap I thought it had crashed, so ejected the disc, which probably caused the error.

ANIMATED LOADING SCREENS FTW!

Had fun with the multi tonight, still getting used to it but had a blast regardless. Looks absolutely gorgeous. If the bigger text patch is true then thank the heavens, I'm having real trouble seeing the text and it's affecting my enjoyment of the game to an extent since you need to rely on it to see what your objectives are etc.

How are people finding the fan noise, playing through the first few chapters and it does seem to ramp up? In NFS and Resogun it's virtually silent, doesn't seem to raise much if any above just being in the menus.

Yeah I find it pretty noisy. Not annoyingly so but I was expecting it to be pretty much silent.

How do I know when I have reached a proper save point? I keep going back to the game and having to do whole chunks of it again. I must have missed it telling me what to look for, as I have no clue.

Also I'm finding it bastard hard to be honest. I'm not very good at shooters, and this is my first Killzone experience. But the first outdoor section on the mountain side, I keep dying really quickly. I'm not having much fun :(

No: you are responsible for this problem. You and people like you insist on making the conversation about me rather than just discussing with me whatever is under discussion. If you would just discuss the matter normally rather than windmilling and screaming loudly to all participants that you're TALKING TO SMITTY these exchanges simply would not happen as I would not feel the need to defend myself. You, Soong etc continually make mountains out of molehills by refusing to treat me like other posters making the same fairly innocuous points.

Are you going to apologise?

You really believe this, don't you

How do I know when I have reached a proper save point? I keep going back to the game and having to do whole chunks of it again. I must have missed it telling me what to look for, as I have no clue.

Also I'm finding it bastard hard to be honest. I'm not very good at shooters, and this is my first Killzone experience. But the first outdoor section on the mountain side, I keep dying really quickly. I'm not having much fun :(

It displays 'checkpoint' in a corner of the screen.

In small text naturally enough.

Yeah this happened to me twice now. I doubt I'll ever play this for more than an hour at a time so it feels like twos steps forward and one back every time I play the bloody thing.

And it's hard. Might do it on easy.

Yeah this happened to me twice now. I doubt I'll ever play this for more than an hour at a time so it feels like twos steps forward and one back every time I play the bloody thing.

And it's hard. Might do it on easy.

I'm the same. My wife was laughing because I was telling the game to fuck off so much.

Chapter 2 on normal frustrations:

Tiny waypoints.

Small text.

Awkward vertical aiming. That bit where you have no ammo and have to direct the owl over the edge. Several times I couldn't angle down far enough to target the guys.

Bad guys are hard to make out against the backgrounds.

Alarms - So if you get spotted you have to hack an alarm. But I can't easily see where the alarms are? And your under fire? Sheesh.

Probably moaning too much as I didn't have a great time with it but I agree with some of the comments above. Too much too quickly. Gonna give the multiplayer a go next. I have hopes for that but will return to the SP in a bit too.

The scanner thingy (whatever it's called) helps out nicely with that.

Yeah it does though that isn't explained very well. Thing is that leads to a situation where you're walking a bit, scanning, walking a bit, scanning. Adds a weird dynamic to it.

Yeah it does though that isn't explained very well. Thing is that leads to a situation where you're walking a bit, scanning, walking a bit, scanning. Adds a weird dynamic to it.

It doesn't even tell you that you can charge the scanner thing and that if you overdo it it causes a massive loud malfunction and alerts the enemies.