Neverwinter - XB1 - Elemental Evil expansion update 7th April

Has anyone been following this? Cryptic's up and coming new F2P mmo based on D&D and set in the updated Forgotten Realms. Also comes with a variant of Star Trek Online's adventure creation system so players can create their own stuff.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/

There are so closed beta weekends going on (I'll be in the next one) and it looks pretty good so far.

How does the combat work, seen comments it's more action orientated similar to TERA which would be a big plus?

It's only something I really paid attention to recently after reading about the user made content, that could be an excellent feature. It's one I'm keeping an eye on now and being F2P will definitely be giving it a try.

Oh shit, a NW thread - I thought I was the only one here that was interested in it :D

I think it looks pretty cool, the combat is certainly interesting and it makes a nice change from tab-based MMOs. It's like Tera basically where you have a reticule and you have to manually aim/dodge abilities. Guardian tanks have to hold shift to block with their shields, rogues need to use shift to roll out of attacks and stay mobile, etc. Each class has a "hook" as well, so Clerics have divine power that they build up and can channel to alter their abilities, rogues have a stealth meter which can be activated during combat and while stealthed alters every one of their abilities (and as such, rogues can be built around staying in stealth for as long as possible, or relying on shadow abilities, or even turned into a mid-range class) and wizards... have something :D

I know Flub touched on it but the Foundry sounds awesome as well. It's basically the same system they use in Star Trek Online, only expanded - it lets you create custom maps/campaigns/quests, apparently with many more features than the ST:O version. I saw one Dev mention that within 14 months ST:O had over 50k custom campaigns available, and all are player rated with tags etc to help find the one you want. Cryptic also highlight ones they think are exceptionally good.

Here are the class preview videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeyp8P_Wk-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfpUC3Aw4o

Had my eye on this. Combat looks OK on streams but most folk report a severe lack of narrative/plot/stories. Coupled with it being from the City of Heroes/STO guys I'm not sure how it will fare after the first month of excitement is over. There's zero details on anything end game related too other than 'heroic' dungeons.

I don't 'do' beta's myself for a few reasons so I'll have to see how it is on launch.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the client downloaded for the beta weekend. For my sins I have a lifetime STO account so I get to play in the beta weekends from now. It's about 3gig for the initial download and then just under a gig for a patch.

As for when it comes out? It's F2P so to be honest it doesn't hurt to try :) I'll report back with what I think later

Fairly old preview/interview with one of the guys who made the game while doing a dungeon run with a group. Looks really good, hope the loot system that they mention actually makes it into the launch game, unlike some other mmos that promised such a system.

I like the Great Weapon Fighter from the previous videos, looks very much like a cross between an Arms Warrior from WoW and a Sith Juggernaut from Swtor. Its all looking very promising, and for someone who was leaning towards playing TES Online, this has come out of nowhere and has me thinking it might be the better game solely based on the combat system.

Just played through the tutorial and first two "dungeons" as a fighter. Very impressed. It doesn't have a great deal of depth but it's solid feeling combat and I think I like it. I'll try a wizard later.

duVQ2KKh.jpg

3baMkBRh.jpg

GiXfT19h.jpg

VsYhwXAh.jpg

sNQV9TAh.jpg

7mwAyToh.jpg

jfkxTPKh.jpg

jk2xw8fh.jpg

Flub, how much XP does it take to level up? I noticed one of the founder pack bonuses is a potion that gives you 10k xp when you consume it, but that sounds like a lot to me. Is it? :D Also, screenshots look great - it's actually a surprisingly nice looking game.

If anyone wants to enter the beta PC Gamer have an unlimited amount of keys available and they only require you to answer a question to prove you own the relevant issue where they originally gave away beta keys. Google has the answers to those questions. The PC gamer site is here and this site seems to have most of the answers. It also comes with a free, possibly exclusive mount (Stormraider Horse). Answers must be in lower case and if you can't find the answer just refresh the page to get a different question.

It seems to have worked for me since I'm now patching the game and before it would just give me an account error when I tried to log in.

Hmm I did all of that and got the key, but where do you go to enter that key? Is it the actual Neverwinter website?

Seems the code goes into Neverwinters beta key page on their website. Downloading the client atm, but no info on whether I can start playing right away, or if I have to wait for beta dates or whatever.

Ah, yeah you enter it here. The code does work, I'm playing the beta now which is just for this weekend - I'm not sure when it ends. There is another planned for the 22nd-24th, but I'm not sure if this key gets us into that beta as well.

Flub, how much XP does it take to level up? I noticed one of the founder pack bonuses is a potion that gives you 10k xp when you consume it, but that sounds like a lot to me. Is it? :D Also, screenshots look great - it's actually a surprisingly nice looking game.

Actually that sounds like a hell of a lot. I'll check when I login later

I played this for a few hours, and it was enjoyable although I thought the graphics could have been a bit better. I was a bit surprised, as I had all the settings on max.

Then after about 2-3 hours I got a blue screen :(

I have no idea why, as no other game has caused my pc to do this, so I'm attributing it to the fact I had it on max settings and its in beta. I hope.

*Sigh*. I've just had my entire Perfect world account banned. I tried to charge my wallet up with some Zen. Paypal said it went through. Perfectworld said it didn't. Unfortunately when I try to login to their support center this happens

http://i.imgur.com/pRw65jH.png

So I raise it as a dispute on Paypal just so I can send the fuckers a message. Bam. Account banned. Blocked out of every single one of their games with no way to contact them

Do you want me to submit a ticket to the banned account section of the support website? It asks for an email address, description of problem, and what product its associated with. If you're interested send me a PM.

Nah. Turns out the only bit of the support section you can access while banned is that bit so I've submitted a ticket. I doubt they'll deal with it in time for me to get more play in :(

Now it's getting weird. I logged into my account using safari. The payment has now gone through (Listed as result of a chargeback) and I can login to my games again. Every other browser says I'm still banned. How weird.

*Edit* Nope. It hasn't gone through. No idea what the hell is happening

So despite being initially banned and then all of a sudden half banned (Game access but no web access) I'm happy to report that I bloody love the game. Got my Guardian Fighter to level 21. They're an ace tanking class. My devoted priest to level 17. Healing class but output a fucktonne of damage too. If all we had at launch were these four characters I'd probably start with the priest. I saved a fortune on healing potions :). Control wizard was a bit hmmm. Out of the three classes I tried they were by far the squishiest. Excellent spells but they're severely lacking defense and was a bit of a chore to play. Still fun but a chore at times. Didn't get to try the rogue but I did get to buy a mount for my Fighter. Had just enough to get one at level 20 when they unlock.

Companions are great. At level 16 you get given a free companion (Choice of classes or a dog). They'll fight and level alongside you and every level they earn you send them away for realtime training to get ranked up. You can have three "active" companions and at any time have one of them out helping. There's a stash for non-active companions. Given the range in the cash shop I can see this being the equivalent to Star Trek Online's ship sales. Especially given you can buy one straight away rather than wait until level 16.

The quests are great fun. You start out tracking down a gang of bandits who've stolen the Crown of Neverwinter and then eventually move onto a rogue wizard trying to fuck around with a spell plague apocalypse. Then you move onto a quest chain involving orcs that leads to the first dungeon. Queue for the first dungeon when you get the chance. It's a nice relaxing tank and spank. The Foundry quests seem to scale to your level and don't require you to have visited the area they take place in before (They're separate instances).

Combat wise it's fast and fun. You have two "at will" attacks that are your bread and butter. Eventually three "encounter" attacks that can be used on a cooldown so many times per fight and eventually two "daily" attacks that can be used when you fill an action point gauge shaped like a dice. Classes have different defensive moves. Guardian Fighter turtles up behind the shield (Which changes the at will attacks). Wizard and priest (And presumably rogue) have a dodge with a stamina gauge. The keybinding layout is good too. Auto mouselook. wasd to move. Q E and R for encounter attacks. At will on the mouse buttons and dailies on 1 and 2. Three utility items on 3 4 and 5 and your mount on 6. There's also a class ability on tab that depends on your class. Fighter gets a mark target that seems weird. Priest get to shift to devotion mode where their attacks operate differently. Didn't get far enough with my mage to see but I believe it's arcane mode in a similar vein. Mob wise there are multiple grades. Regular cannon fodder that you blow up in a few hits. captain style mobs that do special attacks (Telegraphed by red shapes on the ground). Most fights eventually become groups of cannon fodder with one or more captains. In the orc area it's easy to accidentally pull multiple groups of these as you fight. Epic stuff. One up from that are giant mini-boss mobs. Loads of health and powerful special attacks. Then elite versions with far more health and then instance bosses.

The game world is split between open adventuring areas and private instances and the various plot lines will take you through both. Mob tagging seems non existent with private loot drops being the order of the day. I did do a chunk of one of the quest chains with a random player I grouped with and the instances didn't seem to scale (Which given STO and CO doesn't surprise me). A couple of graphics bugs on my laptop (Nvidia 540m) but none on my desktop (Nvidia 560 TI).

I didn't notice many serious bugs while I was playing. A couple of glitches occasionally and a bit of rubberbanding here and there. Very, very close to done I'd say from what we've seen so far. If it wasn't for my banning I'd have had an almost perfect weekend's gaming. Definitely looking forward to the next beta weekend assuming of course that support actually bother to answer my ticket and sort out my money that paypal gave them.

I wasn't so keen on the CW. It didn't feel like a very powerful class really, and I certainly didn't feel like I had any control. Having said that, I did only get to level 7 before trying out a Trickster Rogue but having read the forums they don't seem to improve much. Stuns only lasting for a couple of seconds and stronger mobs being completely immune to it. I don't think there's a place for the class in it's current format. If they want it to be a control class they need to commit to it and allow snares, roots, stuns etc to work on stronger mobs and bosses otherwise they're just a ranged class with low damage. In terms of min/maxing, there'd be no reason to bring one over a TR.

Rogues, on the other hand, are amazing. Ridiculously high damage, teleporting behind a mob/ally, stealth, jumping back and creating decoys to tank for you, throwing knives, just lots of cool shit and I found them much more enjoyable than my CW.

I didn't really touch the Devoted Cleric as that's what I'll be playing at launch, but even just using the At-Will ability Lance of Faith made me love them.

In terms of bugs I'd say the game is close to shipping but I think they still have a bit of tweaking to do. Health potions, scrolls of identification, the CW class, I think they all need a bit of work and some rethinking. A couple of weeks ago they actually removed CW from the listed launch classes on the FAQ so it may be they don't want to hold up the release date to balance them properly. We've also not been able to test any crafting or pvp yet (as far as I know).

I played some of the Foundry content and it has a lot of potential. The only decent custom campaign I played was the The Dweomerkeepers, Act I but it was too short to really get into. I did apply for the foundry beta and wrote a long and detailed description of my campaign ideas, so hopefully I'll get to play around with it before launch.

Interesting that the instances didn't scale as all Foundry content does. It will scale to your level and apparently the number of players in your party, so I'd have thought they'd have similar features in Cryptic designed instances as well.

My only concern is how expensive some items are on the cash shop. $20 for a companion, $10 for a bag, it's all a bit much. I imagine they'll have constant sales though and that will be the time to pick up an item, since it could easily be 50% off. Character slots were pretty cheap though, 500 zen for 2 slots which I believe is $5. You can earn Zen through playing the game but I don't think it's going to be at a particularly fast rate.