IGNORED

The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

Yes you can! Have you played or seen any footage of the games you're talking about Xevious?

Yes. You seem to be arguing that the same feeling can be had by putting up a menu that doesn't completely block the screen, or does block most of the screen, but it's OK because by hitting the start button you can turn the menu on and off and on and off and so get the same idea. But that's not the same at all as flicking your eyes to different places, and is a messy cludge that now has a far more elegant solution.

Ok, I'm glad we've come to the conclusion - for the few AAA games that still use static non-immersive non-diegetic menu and map screens, you can get the same effect that you can on other consoles, in a very specific and quite niche genre, they just require one less button press.

Totally worth the extra £80 on the screen, I'm surprised they're not flying off the shelves to be honest.

I know that, that's why I provided an example of just that in Deus Ex. I think the idea of "artificial blocks" and "natural blocks" seems daft and is you reaching a bit for a way to discredit something - they're all means to an end, to give you tension while you carry out tasks.

'reaching' :lol:

I'm just describing it as it is - on two screens on Wii U. You're the one who's reaching trying to say having one but with differing percentages of it covered/not covered by menus is exactly the same experience.

What the fuck has happened to Discussion recently? Between this thread, the Xbone/PS4 comparison thread and the thinly veiled fanboyism in many others, it's like being back in the playground of secondary school. No wonder I find myself spending more time in Off Topic and Film/TV these days.

Not played many Wii U games ... and I know this has all been discussed endlessly already.

But in multiplayer you usually want to get in and out of the menu as quickly as possible, with your focus ready to jump back in. So the on-character immersive HUD stuff seems like a better evolution, and moving a static HUD onto a separate screen that you have to look away at seems like a step backwards. It sounds great for the ZombiU gameplay but that could be quite a unique experience, given that many games are trying to take HUDs the opposite way. People don't necessarily want that tension in every game.

So I suppose I'm saying as long as that's not the only use they can find for the gamepad, then things might be alright??

The Nintendoland chase game with 5 players is pretty great with the pad.

edit: this is tedious actually sorry guys

Jesus christ, this has got to have been one of the most tedious arguments in this thread, which is quite an achievement.

Apologies. I didn't realise debate about things which you didn't personally find interesting was not allowed. I'll update directive #4.

Apologies. I didn't realise debate about things which you didn't personally find interesting was not allowed. I'll update directive #4.

Don't be a twat about it, you were both clearly being purposely ignorant of what the other was saying resulting in an utterly pointless back and forth. It's that childishness that I don't find interesting.

Don't be a twat about it, you were both clearly being purposely ignorant of what the other was saying resulting in an utterly pointless back and forth. It's that childishness that I don't find interesting.

But I (and Xevious) was just saying the same as you - I wasn't trying to be ignorant of his point at all, just trying to have him accept that there was a difference:

I'm not trying to say it's revolutionary like the invention of electricity or something, I'm just trying to say it's a little difference that does actually makes for a surprisingly different feel.

I'll leave it there, though.

Well — they didn't waste time with the Licensing Deals™ - Coming soon to McDonald's:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/super_mario_hopping_into_mcdonalds_happy_meals_in_the_uk

As discussed earlier in this thread, this promotion has already been done last year in at least two European countries. This is not part of the 'new' strategy.

I can vouch for the figurines by the way, we have 6 and they look really nice.

OH FUCK... I try to keep my kids out of McDonalds as well...

Not sure about the UK, but over here you could buy the figurines separately without a Happy Meal. Basically you just get the Happy Meal box and the toy, but none of the junk. Was only about a quid in your monies as well. We also tend to keep McDonalds an occasional treat instead of the go-to place if we don't feel like cooking.

If you sell the same or less than a console you call a flop, then by logical extension, the GameCube is also a flop. Why is selling in the US/UK important? because they are the 1st and 2nd most valuable markets to capture for any company with global ambitions, as they buy the most product and therefore make the most money for you (Japan is 2nd by pure numbers, but it is effectively less valuable than most small Euro territories or Australia as far as the vast majority of non-Japanese publishers are concerned (it's a closed market, might aswell bang on about how large China or South Korea are as gaming markets, no practical use to most established publishers), hence why the Xbox got the support and the GameCube got the boot from Third Parties after a few years).

If people can't even see that, then sure, people can continue to think Nintendo will some day regain their irongrip on the games industry globally, I ain't holding my breath.

I agree entirely with all of that!* Hell, I was at pains to point out that I agreed that the Gamecube was also a failure, and that in the context of Nintendo and Microsoft's histories (one an old hand in the market, one a new entry) it was far more of a failure. And I think Nintendo's days as a leader in the games console market are over. My only argument was that Microsoft's difficulties were generally swept under the carpet and their successes overstated in the past two generations, and that describing the Gamecube as a distant third to a hugely successful Xbox (as was initially described) isn't accurate.

*apart from the UK being the 2nd most valuable market - it's a relevant market insofar as success here is generally reflective of success in North America (poor, forgotten Canada...), but that also marks it as less worth aiming for individually (as by targeting NA, you bag the UK for free)**, whereas Japan and Europe are markets that need their own focusses if you want to succeed there.

**sports titles notwithstanding, where the UK tends to fall in line with Europe

And as the Wii U faces stiff competition (and has been getting deservedly trounced) by Sony’s Playstation 4 and Microsoft’s XBox One consoles

I got this far then thought they can just fuck off.

I admit that in the long term, there will be great games on the PS4 and Xbox One, but right now, today, the Wii U boasts the better library of games, be they exclusive or otherwise.

I hope they never see that photo of you standing at the backdoor of the burger van in Bath, Scott :lol:

Damn tasty burger... once I'd worked out where they were serving from

... then I got lost for about 2 hours, although I was only 5 minutes walk away. :lol:

I got four paragraphs in before giving up. Anyone get further?

I must confess I just kept scrolling down to see the next, seemingly random picture. I was getting into a rhythm of quote/WiiU pic/quote for the duration but then he threw in a wildcard with Japanese tweets/Bayonetta crotch shot. Superb.