The Trouble with Nintendo. A TL;DR topic.

Transient Curse

The main difference is probably that the Vita people don't get all defensive when they hear their system is a commercial failure. They already know and accept it and quietly love the little mongrel for what it is.

The problem is, nobody is getting defensive over being told the Wii U is a commercial failure. I think everyone in this thread is admitting it's not exactly rosy right now.

Where people are getting defensive is when people without a Wii U come in and call it shit, gimmicky, and solving problems that don't exist etc. It's frustrating because those with one, are saying that for them it's not shit, it's not gimmicky, and it is solving problems that are useful for them.

In summary, nobody is defending Wii U sales, but plenty of owners are justifiably defending the ignorant stuff being thrown at the system because their own personal experiences are different.

All IMO of course.

The problem for the Wii U is that the market has changed from the GC days. I'd be perfectly happy with another GC. But there isn't really a market for mid range games any more, so there is no non Nintendo support. Maybe downloadable titles can fill the gap as on 3ds but the shop is still a bit barren.

I can live with a Nintendo player too, but it takes them longer to knock out console titles than mobile ones and its not unknown for Nintendo to cut their losses. So some pick up is needed. I think I agree with Nap on dropping the pad - it's great but if every game just offered off screen play or menus then its still worth having itand they could release a pack without one, lower the price and try and drive sales.

Even if they released a solid block of concrete that did absolutely nothing but had a changeable A4 picture of Mario or Link you could print out and stick on it you'd declare it the best thing ever.

We get it: You really don't like Nintendo. But why do you feel the need to insult others?

I wonder how much trouble the PSP is causing the Vita. Despite a promising start, I always thought the PSP was a bit shit after the first launch euphoria was over. I even ended up selling it long before the PSP's commercial lifespan was over. The Vita on the other hand is absolutely delightful. But how many people miss out on it because they burned their nose on the PSP and didn't want to fall in the same trap?

The problem is that the thing that many were burned on still holds true for the Vita.

The disappointment many had with the PSP was that it was billed as being able to deliver games similar to those on consoles but on a handheld, but failed to deliver that in great quantities and so it's ongoing support was from people who enjoyed the niche Japanese games it continued to get because of the success of Monster Hunter.

The Vita came in with the same promise of console-like games, but again failed to deliver. What it does now have is a tonne of really great indie games. The problem is that as good as those indie games are, the vast majority are available on most other platforms, at the very least PS3 which you can assume most Vita owners will have, and so the only draw is if people really want to play those games on a handheld. Definitely a big plus, but not a big selling point for most people when they can already buy the games, especially when they're available earlier and for less on PC.

So it's good, and certainly a better proposition than the PSP if you prefer Western indie games to Japanese RPGs, but it's easy to see why people aren't flocking to it at the moment.

Yeah, it's definitely kind of niche although I think it has some stonking games ... just not the ones that jump out at you from the shelf though (as far as any games still appear on the shelf in the first place). Games like Killzone and Assassin's Creed on the Vita are considered watered down versions of the big console games, stuff like Unit 13, Guacamelee or Tearaway are unknown and hence unloved. Or can indeed be played on the PS3 already. Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games I've ever played in my life but I had never heard of the series until I already got a Vita and investigated further. I bought the Vita at launch because I thought it was an excited looking machine, but if I had ignored it and would walk into a store today and base potential purchase solely on store presence I'd never get it.

The problem is, nobody is getting defensive over being told the Wii U is a commercial failure. I think everyone in this thread is admitting it's not exactly rosy right now.

Where people are getting defensive is when people without a Wii U come in and call it shit, gimmicky, and solving problems that don't exist etc. It's frustrating because those with one, are saying that for them it's not shit, it's not gimmicky, and it is solving problems that are useful for them.

In summary, nobody is defending Wii U sales, but plenty of owners are justifiably defending the ignorant stuff being thrown at the system because their own personal experiences are different.

All IMO of course.

The thread is about "The Trouble with Nintendo", i.e. the various problems people have with aspects of Nintendo. You seem to be more concerned with the idea of telling people that their ideas of the problems they have are just not legitimate enough (and can be "disproven") to be real problems, and bury your head further in the sand.

6 button md version was best home sf2 until 3do...

And where is your postings if the failings of Sony or the runaway success of Microsoft given the ps3 failed so badly to match the success of the ps2 and the 360 did so much better than the Xbox??

Even before the disaster that is the vita that's failed in sales compared to the psp - itself an utter failure in sales and destroyed by its much less powerful competition?

You seem to like to pick out that Nintendo are on a huge downward spiral apart from the runaway success of the wii without bothering to acknowledge the competition - was the ps2 a fluke given how badly it's successor performed against a Nintendo console that was a fluke from a company who are on a downward spiral?

Even with a 6 button pad, the MD version was technically deficient compared to playing on the milk-bone, and yes, I have used the official 6 button pad, with its tiny top row of buttons.

PS3, Sony tripped themselves up and Microsoft took their playbook and ran with it, end result being the market once owned by the PS2 got divided out. Care to bet whether Sony have learned any lessons from the PS3? or do you think their hardware sales will now follow Nintendo's into the abyss.

I see you're obviously taking these observations of your preferred football team to heart with the PSV comments :)

The original PlayStation and its even more successful followup had the one thing needed to succeed, and what ultimately I would suggest is the one thing Nintendo will need if they want to get out of the tailspin they are in, Third Party Support.

Despite being a complete outsider, Sony convinced the best of both East and West to give them their support, resulting in the first console to cross the 100 Million sales milestone, they then repeated the feat. Just look at Microsoft, they managed to improve their Third Party support situation going from the Xbox (which had better support than the GameCube) to equalling Sony's support with the X360. If the PS3 had been disowned by the games industry, it wouldn't be sitting on 80 Million sales by now, but the difference with Nintendo is that people who bought a PS3 like buying their games, see sales of industry leading titles like CoD/FIFA for ample proof of why companies have ditched the Wii U while ramping up output on PS4/X1.

Even if they released a solid block of concrete that did absolutely nothing but had a changeable A4 picture of Mario or Link you could print out and stick on it you'd declare it the best thing ever.

I'm sorry, but this is fucking bullshit. I was always vocal about how crap the wii was. The wiiu is brilliant, and what people forget (and are soon to learn all over again) is just how shit the first year of a new console is. Not so the wiiu, after a year it has a fantastic collection of great games.

A softmodded PSP is the single best console I've ever owned. It's just so versatile. Sadly it looks like that will never happen on the Vita, which is the reason I didn't buy one, and still wouldn't have one if I hadn;t seen one in Cash Generator stupidly cheap. As it goes, I love the Vita, because it has EDF on it and goes well with the PS+ Sub. But the PSP, officially dead a few years ago is still in regular use. As Stuart Campbell once pointed out, a console that's being used is far more valuable to a publisher than one that's in the loft. If I could transfer my 32Gb memory card from the PSP to the Vita, it would be the best console of this generation. As soon as EDF is completed, there's nothing leaping out at me to be my next game, and it only takes a couple of weeks of not using the console for it to be tidied away.

I should point out this is not a pro piracy post, but a pro emulation/all your games on one memory card/portable video and music player/ Metroid Fusion post.

Just realised whilst typing that - the integration of Facebook, Skype, Email etc. on the Vita is nowhere near as usable as on my phone. That's another issue, Any handheld has to be as indispensable as possible - something you wouldn't consider leaving the house without. Again, anything that keeps it in use is a good thing.

Just realised whilst typing that - the integration of Facebook, Skype, Email etc. on the Vita is nowhere near as usable as on my phone. That's another issue, Any handheld has to be as indispensable as possible - something you wouldn't consider leaving the house without. Again, anything that keeps it in use is a good thing.

Why would you ever use these things on a Vita if you have a smartphone?

You want new Zelda? You want new Metroid? You want new IP?

TOO BAD

YOU GET CRANKY KONG

Even a Smash Bros character reveal would have been better

Nintendo's problems in a nutshell. You'd have to be living in a crazy bubble to think that going to the VGX for the first time and having that as your big announcement is anything less than a non-event disaster that does more harm than good. Worryingly out of touch.