IGNORED

Packing up the 360

Moz

Does PS3 throw ads at you when you turn it on, though?

It does boot straight to the 'Whats new' section of the XMB, but you can turn that off very easily so that it boots straight to the game list instead. The only place it runs adds are in that section so you choose if you want to see ads or not.

The 360 has been an amazing console... I think it's just been the last year where MS seem to have taken their foot off the gas when it comes to gamers and let the 3rd parties do the work. Which is fine... if they're using this as an opportunity to MELT OUR TESTICLES with the next Xbox reveal.

Right now though, my 360 is a netflix machine sitting in the front room... while the PS3 and WiiU sit in the big telly room.

I feel I'm playing less on the 360 than in years gone by for two reasons - it's facing competition from iOS and non-gaming activities, and the recent games have just been, with a few exceptions such as Spec Ops, both bloated and somehow still underwhelming for all the technical wizardry involved. I am only expecting to buy a relative handful of games for the rest of the year but hopefully Bioshock and GTA will bring some of the magic back.

Technically though there are no problems - the latest black models are super fast and quiet, almost no comparison to the old edition. Another (bad)thing is that having a large HD somehow makes me less likely to finish games than formerly, when I could only squeeze one at a time on.

PC gaming isn't an option for me, and at present I have no idea which of the 2 consoles will get my money in future.

Given that my PC can boot and have Steam open in the time it takes for my Xbox to even vaguely begin signing in, and the fact Xbox live is almost constantly doing weird things to me like randomly disconnecting and suddenly deciding that some content isn't available I can't arsed to use it. I play Dodonpachi and that's about it.

I wouldn't really complain about the dash changes etc - my biggest disappointment has been the changing demographic. I remember playing the first R6 Vegas game with randoms and having some good craic with folk from all over the world. Nowadays I don't even plug my headset in.

The Blade UI was really really terrible. Despite all it's faults I much prefer the current dash and having gotten used to it I could never go back to an earlier version.

The 360 is still a fine machine with lots to offer. I like a good shmup from time to time and they just keep coming.

Completely disgree about the blades - they were brilliant and my favourite way of accessing content on any console ever. Such a shame they went :angry:

I've come late to the 360. I missed out on launch, sat it out for a long while, didn't look like my sort of thing. Price cuts never really seemed to materialise and the RROD fiasco put me off. Didn't buy an HDTV during that first wave of upgrading and then didn't get around to it after that. Cheapskate CRT for life yo. I bought a neighbour's largely unplayed 360 cheaply off him, but didn't like the games where you shoot mans, and it mostly went unused, apart from Rock Band. My Gamerscore measured in the hundreds. It was only when I started using it a lot for Netflix and other media playing that it even got enough use to RROD.

I bought my first HDTV last summer for the Euros and Olympics, and last Xmas I replaced the broken 360.

The telly has made an enormous difference. Games and watching films at home are completely transformed, and I'm doing a lot more of both.

It's been great! There are loads of XBLA games that I hadn't played which are exactly the sort of thing I like.

Just finished Fez together with the family, which has been one of my favourite gaming experiences. I was a hero to them all after I wrote a computer program to crack the cipher. It's the first time they've ever seen me do anything like that, and although they weren't impressed by the graphics in emacs, when the gibberish scrolling past the screen began to resolve into words: "space", "time", "please", "send", "help" that was a magnificent moment.

We're playing Spelunky together, loads of Lego games. Probably do Minecraft next. XBLA / Games on Demand sales have avoided a lot of messing with discs. The controller is terrific. HD makes a huge difference. I'm even giving man shooting and realistic racing a go.

I even rather like the dash. I might have organised it a bit differently for efficiency I suppose, and I don't like my avatar since my girl dressed it in ridiculous clothes, but I find the environment quite pleasant and attractive. I normally hate ads on anything, quite militant about it, but for some reason I don't understand the internet fuss about the ads. It must be because I don't really remember how it was before. I even like it advertising things I might like to buy, makes the storefront look active, and it doesn't seem noticeably worse than the same stuff on PS3 or Apple TV.

This new model is extremely quiet, especially when a disc isn't involved. A vast improvement on the launch model, which I hated due to noise. Better than my PS3. And that's why I use it for Netflix UK / iPlayer / 4od etc. The Apple TV is Netflix US. The PS3 is noisier, and on netflix I find the sound can go out of sync from time to time which I find infuriating. I'd be interested to know why the consensus is Xbox Netflix is poor.

Anyway, I plan to pick up a load of now-classic stuff cheap over the next year, and have a fun Indian Summer of 360. I know you miss out coming late to a console. I should have got involved sooner really, but I just wasn't interested any more. I don't think it could ever stack up as one of my favourite consoles but even with Mario Galaxy on the Wii and Blu-Ray/Demon Souls/Journey on the PS3 I think it's won the console war of my heart this time round.

I still think Xbox360 is one of the best consoles I have had, most games run great, online it beats PS3 any day of the week and I'd rather pay for a good service than ever play something like the mess that was BF3 online on PS3.

But if I could have one wish for the next generation it would be to do it more like Sony, focus on the games and the gamers, I don't want to see drug-happy children playing Kinect games or hear about services that will never see the light of day here in Europe.

Just stick to the games for this presentation please, if I see something like the video in the OP again I will cry.

You're all taking this a bit too seriously! I was just wondering if I'd forgotten about any exclusives. I'm surprised by all the hate, the 360 was excellent and MS did what they could to expand and extend it, for better or worse.

I don't even understand this backlash regarding ads and the move to casual gamers as the 360 is still getting the best support in terms of games. It's still baffling to me how it's become the home of obscure Japanese shoot em ups. I cannot see this support disappearing in the next gen as third party exclusives are probably going to become rare and only timed if anything.

The Xbox 360 got me back into gaming. I've probably played more games on it than any other console. So many great games. Sure, I play all the multiplatform games on PC now, but I dunno. It hasn't even occurred to me to put it away. It'll probably stay where it is until it breaks. As for games, I personally can't see myself buying a next gen console early on so may well end up playing Destiny on it.

Other than that, you're right, now I think about it. There's not a lot I want to play on it. MGRising probably won't come to PC and I've got Dust: An Elysian Tale waiting to be played but that's pretty much it. :o

Goodnight, sweet prince.

It can't be the worst console ever. I mean, I have a 3DO. A Jaguar. A CDi. A Game.com. A PSP even!

Mind you, as much as I love a lot of the games, I really don't like the console itself very much.

I find the 360 backflash baffling. Sure, they're messed up the dash, and XBL is poor value now. But the malign influence of Kinect is so, so overstated that I don't know where to start with it. I don't see how the 360 has moved to casual gamers at all.

My opinion: it's been and remains a great console and platform. It's given me loads and loads of fun, I love the pad, I love the online implementation. It's had fantastic support.

Let's hope MS tackle the problems above.

I don't even understand this backlash regarding ads and the move to casual gamers as the 360 is still getting the best support in terms of games. It's still baffling to me how it's become the home of obscure Japanese shoot em ups. I cannot see this support disappearing in the next gen as third party exclusives are probably going to become rare and only timed if anything.

I don't get it either.

360 has been a great console over a number of years. Whether you've bought both 360 and PS3 or even just one of them; they've provided a relatively low cost way of playing games over a very long period of time.

I've just got myself a PS3 to play some of the exclusives that I missed just having a 360, but the 360 is staying where it is as I've got a mini pile of games to go back to; including Red Dead Redemption, Dragons Dogma, Dead Space, Tales of Vesperia, Crackdown and Mass Effect 3.

EDIT: This isn't in response to the OP, which wasn't critical of the machine at all - just saying it might be time to retire it which is fair enough for someone that's played all the games they want to on the console up to now.

I don't really get the backlash either. I'm not too keen on some Microsoft decisions of the last few years - stalling the generation beyond its expiry date, the huge push of Kinect, closing studios that made great games for them or getting studios to work on Kinect crap instead of proper games and the whole ads/services stuff, but by Jesus didn't the 360 give us some excellent games over its lifespan. I thought it was great and I never regretted buying one at launch.

I think the general 'backlash' xbox feeling is mostly how long this console cycle has gone on for which is far far too long. The only reasons I wouldn't be so keen on the 360 right now are the shitty dash which is awful and everything being behind a paywall for XBL. It feels like MS doesn't give a shit when in reality they're just winding down this year before the next big main event in Durangos launch. The actual machine itself, especially the sleek redesign, is great and the machine's given me a lot of fun over the years and it got me back into online gaming with Call Of Duty 2. Hell even the 360 launch has one of my favourite games in Condemned. With other games like the absolutely wonderful EDF 2017 and a personal favourite, Crackdown, I've nothing but love for the old bit of kit even if I don't play it that much anymore.

Then MS started doing shady shit like locking out the Multiplayer portions of games if you don't have gold, even if you wanted to play Horde solo for example, Binary Domain is a good example I cannot enter the MP suite at all from the main menu but If I pay MS £40, they are happy for me to play Invasion mode on my own. Just let me do it anyway you bastards.

You still have to access the servers. That's what you're paying for.

360 has been my gaming coming of age. I remember when I got it and I was still doing stuff like playing feeding frenzy because it was on the disc that came with it, or buying prey for £5 because it was something to do. Now there's tonnes of games I'm interested in but not buying because there isn't the time to play them all. And I have more money and free time than I ever have.

I'm sort of tired of the 360 but mostly because it's so loud, and since all the developers are trying to push the machine to its absolute limits, everything is grey washed out colours and shit framerates.

It's still baffling to me how it's become the home of obscure Japanese shoot em ups.

It is baffling and it isn't baffling. Japanese Shoot em ups have never been driven by who is the market leader in that region, the Mega Drive and Saturn can attest to that. Cave's reasoning is that the 360 is easier to program for and Microsoft have given them a lot of support. I do wonder if they will change attitude when Ps4 is released, their 360 releases have pretty much dried up now because they've exhausted their catalogue of suitable titles.

360 manages to do that very japanese thing of being able to get developer support despite the small user base through primarily two genre's - visual novels and shooters. Almost all of which went to 360 before PS3 despite the large install base difference. The same happened with Saturn.

It has the shoddiest build quality of any computer system I've used. Red rings, horrific noise, even the accessories don't last as I've gone through three or four controllers and headsets. Plus MS points can fuck off, as can all of the adverts. And the more I think about it the more I wonder why XBL is a paid for service.

But it does have a great catalogue of games, XBLA and Indie, and the best controller. So it's flawed, but great.

Despite hating having too much stuff around the place there's no way mine will be getting packed away anytime soon. Like many on here it's been my system of choice over the past few years and anything multiplatform was played on it by default, mainly for the controller, and at the moment I'm happy enough with the prospect of keeping the old girl around to handle older stuff and (crucially) all my amassed XBLA games after the PS4 arrives. It's a silly psychological thing but having a PS3 and PS4 sat next to each other playing those same roles because of a lack of full BC would bug me but I kinda feel OK with it this way. Who knows though, maybe Microsoft will pull something out of the bag to change all that?

It's been an amazing console despite the niggles both major and minor that have been well covered already.

You're all taking this a bit too seriously! I was just wondering if I'd forgotten about any exclusives. I'm surprised by all the hate, the 360 was excellent and MS did what they could to expand and extend it, for better or worse.

I dont think you are, the only exclusive i can think of is gears.

My old fat 360 now takes about 3 minutes to boot and populate all those horrendously instrusive dash ads that I used to pay for. Was Gold for 6 years, now silver and playing on pc multiplayer now where the experience is generally better. It had some great arcade titles and library games like Rock Band, Pinball FX 2, Trials, etc. Those made me dig it back out after I packed it away hastily a few months ago. Steam is my go to now, but not saying I won't dip into my extensive 360 library from time to time.