Films they *should* remake

Lag

A version of The Running Man based on the book would be excellent.

A combination would be interesting. I read it a long time ago, but doesn't the book end with him just about to sign up for the show, but not cover the actual show itself ?

A combination would be interesting. I read it a long time ago, but doesn't the book end with him just about to sign up for the show, but not cover the actual show itself ?

You really don't recall it do you?

I seem to recall the protagonist flying a small aeroplane into the top of a skyscraper, possibly the penthouse, where I believe his enemy is ensconced. He may be flipping them the bird whilst doing so. (from memory).

You really don't recall it do you?

I seem to recall the protagonist flying a small aeroplane into the top of a skyscraper, possibly the penthouse, where I believe his enemy is ensconced. He may be flipping them the bird whilst doing so. (from memory).

Hmmm, you could be right there ! I remember him flying a plane around a bit. But am I right in remembering that the show itself isn't in the Bachman book ?

Hmmm, you could be right there ! But am I right in remembering that the show itself isn't in the Bachman book ?

Well yeah, I thought that was a given, The Running Man is one of those King story to Film jobs that are almost as far removed from the original story as it's possible to get but of course that award will forever belong to the Lawnmower Man where the only similarity is the title and possibly if they retained the name of the protagonist.

To be fair I think I last read the book about 20 years ago. I saw the film again recently, and bloody hell is it low budget !

I think I did too, I bought the Bachman books as soon as they were released as a King collective. I was always a big fan of The Long Walk, which would make for an interesting but very grim film.

I was reading up on it tonight, the 'show' itself sounds a lot more interesting in the book than what was filmed. Apparently Andrew Davis began as director but was fired after a couple of days and replaced by Paul Michael Glaser, who removed a lot of the script they had.

Frank Darabont has the rights the The Long Walk but doesn't seem to be doing anything with them. And another of King's books from the same time, Rage, was allowed to go out of print when he discovered two or three high school shootings/hostages situations, the hostage takers/shooters had copies on the book with them or at home.

Dune.

The David Lynch/Alan Smithee film was a fine effort, but I think a modern version could be spectacular.

I guess so but I truly love David Lynchs Dune. I can't see a remake bettering it. It may be a better film with better effects but I can't imagine it beating the atmosphere. When I read the books now I see the world of Dune from the film and the book is better for it.

Also remember no films should be remade because they just can't do them justice anymore. I've yet to see a remake that has any real merit.

If they were going to do it in the style of the Marvel Studios film, they could probably do it right now. Not another origin story cos who wants to see that, just go straight into Batman fighting hoodlums and solving crimes.

Exactly! All that's needed at most is a 'bang bang/boo hoo' flashback of young Bruce if at all. I'd love to see a more artistic looking set of films after the 'practical realism' of the Nolan ones.

Exactly! All that's needed at most is a 'bang bang/boo hoo' flashback of young Bruce if at all. I'd love to see a more artistic looking set of films after the 'practical realism' of the Nolan ones.

Not even a flashback. There's genuinely no reason to go through it all again. Batman is a superhero, Gotham is in danger, that's motivation enough. If there was anyone prior to 2005 who went 'who's Batman?' I doubt there is now.

The next Batman's need to be more comic book style rather than the realism Nolan went for. If anyone tries a realism dark Batman it's just gonna be seen as a rip off. Go all out with the fantasy side I say.

Anyway I'd like to see Spawn, IT and The Stand. I've heard that the Stand has been green lit already so that's good. Not to say I didn't enjoy the TV mini series, but it's very dated now, as is IT.

Well if Warner Bros are looking at capitalising on the whole Avengers phenomenon with their Justice League stuff then it can't be realistic, since it wouldn't fit at all.

Then again it is WB and they're trying to cobble together their own Phase One in like 2 years.

I've yet to see a remake that has any real merit.

I'm assuming you mean "in recent years", because, y'know, The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are pretty brilliant, amongst others.

I'd quite like to see a remake of They Live. Though the history of remakes of John Carpenter movies suggests it wouldn't work out quite how I'd like (but then, all remakes of his films have been of the films that didn't need remaking in the first place, so...).

I was going to mention The Thing, but I think that was more a remake of the original material than a remake of the original movie, so I'm not sure if it counts or not.

But I hear Oceans 11 and The Fly are supposed to be superior remakes, with Little Shop of Horrors, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit being remakes that some say are better, but not universally accepted. I've not seen any of the originals of those, so I can't say.

I'd love to see a remake of Johnny Mnemonic, with a director who isn't completely inept and perhaps someone else to re-work Gibson's dialogue into something that actually works when said aloud. The central idea of JM - courier with a head full of mysterious data being hunted by the yakuza - is promising, and could work in a more gritty, visceral setting, rather than the utterly terrible 90s straight-to-video style of the original. Maybe take more of a body-horror approach to the cybernetic implant side of things, and this time actually develop some of the ideas at the core of the story rather than just use them as an opportunity for badly-shot chase sequences.

I was going to mention The Thing, but I think that was more a remake of the original material than a remake of the original movie, so I'm not sure if it counts or not.

But I hear Oceans 11 and The Fly are supposed to be superior remakes, with Little Shop of Horrors, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit being remakes that some say are better, but not universally accepted. I've not seen any of the originals of those, so I can't say.

God, how did I forget about True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma? Though I've not seen the original of the latter, so can't really say if it's a good remake or not. Had no idea there was more than one Little Shop of Horrors or The Fly, and no interest whatsoever in Oceans 11, so...

But yeah, there certainly are worthwhile remakes out there.

I'd love to see a remake of Johnny Mnemonic, with a director who isn't completely inept and perhaps someone else to re-work Gibson's dialogue into something that actually works when said aloud. The central idea of JM - courier with a head full of mysterious data being hunted by the yakuza - is promising, and could work in a more gritty, visceral setting, rather than the utterly terrible 90s straight-to-video style of the original. Maybe take more of a body-horror approach to the cybernetic implant side of things, and this time actually develop some of the ideas at the core of the story rather than just use them as an opportunity for badly-shot chase sequences.

Yes, this deserves a second shot. Should have thought of it, actually, as we were talking about it at work earlier in the week - such wasted potential.

Instead of remaking the likes of The Thing and Halloween, if Hollywood wants to remake any John Carpenter property they should look at Prince of Darkness. It had a great premise mixing physics with the satanic forces but the execution was lacking to say the least.

I've got a message for you, and you're not going to like it.

Pray for death.

Prince of Darkness is easily in my top three Carpenter films.