IGNORED

Films that make you cry

Yiggy

Ha, I'm a bit like that. I remember watching some film with a bunch of friends and a hangover that had the guy out of Fast and Furious in and was about having to leave some Huskies to fend for themselves when their Arctic research station got closed.

I had to pretend I'd got an eyelash stuck behind my contact lens :lol:

Remembered another one, Reign Over Me when Adam Sandler finally breaks down and tells Don Cheadle what happened to his family, can't find the scene online unfortunately. It really gets to me.

This scene also:

The Red Balloon, Ivan's Childhood, Watership Down, ET and Dancer In The Dark all leave me a sobbing wreck when I watch them. I genuinely need a couple of hours afterwards just to get over the emotional effort that it requires to watch them.

I also cried after I had watched Love Actually, but only because when it finished I realised that I could never unwatch it.

The New Muppets film, pretty much all of this film makes me cry due to sheer nostalgia i think!! Especially though the bit with kermit looking at the paintings

Grave of the Fireflies :(

Fantastic Journey or any of those animals lost then find their way home films

Recently the worst one was ET. We went as a family to see it at a small showing in a local theatre, we were laid on beanbags in front of the screen and had my kids cuddled up to me, it suddenly hit me near the end that ET was the first film i saw as a kid at teh cinema, and how life had come full circle and here i was watching it with my kids, i cried all the way to the end of the film and all the way home!!

I cry at films all the time, with Grave of the Fireflies having the distinction of having made me cry most. That was so sad that for a few days afterwards if I thought about it I cried again.

Toy Story 3, at the bit at the end where they're all sat there having accepted their impending death and are quietly waiting for it to happen, had me in shuddering waves of uncontrollable sobbing.

The bit where he gives his toys to Bonnie at the end destroyed me, especially when she goes to grab Woody and he holds on to him.

I'm a massive wuss, so the list is far too long to rattle off. That said, films which are truly sad don't tend to make me well up - Grave of the Fireflies, Tokyo Story, Requiem for a Dream - any tales of extended human tragedy will make me think, but they won't make me cry. It takes little moments of tragedy to get a response from me. Some of the most notable examples:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - doesn't matter how many times I watch it, the halt of the stampede at the end always gets me.

The Fall - from the point of the medicine cabinet incident.

WALL-E - the crush, and the first moments of WALL-E's reboot, both just sucker punch me. Every time.

Toy Story 3 - again with the crusher, and also with the giveaway as Broker mentions.

For the purest essence of lachrymosity, I find it hard to come up with anything that stands alongside the closing scenes of Cinema Paradiso. The whole of the film's themes build up to a final release of what I can only describe as the perfect distillation of sentimentality - an elegy for lost youth, lost art, lost time, a lost father, a lost friend, lost love. A million lost kisses are discovered and projected onto the big screen, and as a tear wells in the protagonist's eye, and Morricone's strings wash over it all with one of their composer's most elegiac scores, there's no way these bastards aren't going to get you.

If you don't blub at this film, you're not a man. You're a monster.

I'm a big softy at movies. I bawled at stuff as obvious as "you had me at hello" and "I've got no place else to go" from Officer and a Gentleman.

Ones that got actual man tears out of me where you wouldn't normally expect it:

Robocop - When the cops are ordered to shoot him down in the car park

Good will hunting - "It's not your fault". This one I find really impressive because I still don't quite understand how they made it work. But I properly cracked up.

The end of Into the Wild, when they find him. I remember watching that with my girlfriend and seeing her face as she realised it wasn't going to end well and the colour just drained from her.

Most i've ever bawled though was watching Salo, the scene where the kids tongue is cut out. I had absolutely nothing left by the end of that scene.

Some great calls so far. Anyone who doesnt cry at the end of The Champ is a robot.

The obvious answer for me is ET which gets me every time, but I do wonder in Grave of the Fireflies is an interesting alternative as it was so sad I dont know if I can ever watch it again.

Rockys I through to IV always make me cry a little, last night TCM showed Rocky II

and

"I just want to say one last thing. Yo Adrian. I DID IT!"

"I love you Rocky!"

I can't watch this without dissolving to bits.

And this bit in Dumbo:

And I recently saw Land Before Time for the first time in about 20 years and sobbed just like I did as a child when his Mum dies. And again when he sees his big shadow on a canyon wall and thinks it's his Mum and runs up to it all happily only to have his heart drop kicked again.

Littlefoot's mum absolutely killed me as a kid. I remember my best mate and I clinging to each other in the cinema crying like babies at that bit and we weren't the only ones doing it.

The only other movie I can think of recently that has put me right into a state was the end of How to train your dragon.

Edit: oh Christ I forgot Big Fish, watched that on Film 4 not that long ago and my eyes were dusty as hell

The most recent film to get to me was The Descendants. There's a bit late on where the main characters are spying through a door at the wifes dad stood with his dying daughter that really got me. Up until that point he was portrayed as a grumpy, hardened old sod then we see him totally broken down and powerless to help his girl. It really moved me.

Rockys I through to IV always make me cry a little, last night TCM showed Rocky II

and

"I just want to say one last thing. Yo Adrian. I DID IT!"

"I love you Rocky!"

Yes, I watched that last night on TCM, and got a bit misty at the end too.

Ah, there's no point fronting, show me a moving image and some stirring music and I'm a goner.

I can't really recall crying at any films (the emotionless robot that I am).

Actually I tell a lie. I did let out a few tears during... I am Legend, of all films.

It was the part where;

Will Smith's character had to kill his dog. I just can't be dealing with dogs dying, didn't help that I had recently lost my own dog - I didn't kill her though. :ph34r:

There's been many films that have depressed me a lot though. The most recent one I've watched being Super.