rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic_Guru

Recommend me do!

Where should I look for my next board game fix? Having really enjoyed Descent and Mage Knights, I would say my criteria are

1 game is playable by one, either co-operatively or by playing all hands in sequence - it's obviously not ideal for any game but so long as there is no bluffing or other factor which would totally rule out solo play, it should be included

2 game is relatively complex and long lasting - no issue here with lengthy set ups or long rule books. I'm looking for something meaty, not a quick fix.

3 game includes elements of both luck and skill - together with 2 above, this will help replay-ability

4 decent quality of components

Not fussed over genre at this point - could be RPG, horror, "euro" or even war.

I've had a look over at BGG but would still be interested in your ideas.

You could play those D&D games, I'd think? It may be so obvious you've got them already. But Wrath of Ashardalon and the others would work alone, or with others, I reckon. The monsters move according to strict rules.

Different types of game entirely. Mansions is basically a story heavy, Lovecraft dungeon crawl that requires a GM. Arkham Horror is a puzzle game with TONS of theme.

I think that MoM looks great, but the basic mechanics come across as Descent in an HP Lovecraft setting. Players make their moves and then the Overlord pays tokens to play his/her cards. Obviously there are neat puzzles and whatnot but it seems to have the same framework.

Arkham Horror is the only game I can think of that fits all of your criteria. It doesn't need a GM and as it's a co-op game you can easily play as many characters as you wish without any conflict of interests.