Battlefield 4

Call of Duty vs Battlefield: the flame war we all win

In 2006 a law was passed here in Scotland that deemed it unlawful for fans of Activision’s Call of Duty franchise to derive any degree of pleasure from EA’s rival Battlefield series. The same rule applied in the opposite direction. Any breach of the legislation was decreed punishable by extreme ridicule on an Internet forum of the court’s choosing, and would be followed by 300 hours of community service and severe name calling on Myspace.

Those were dark days.

This obviously never happened, but I’m still confused by people who act like it’s literally impossible to like both Call of Duty and Battlefield at the same time. As far as gaming industry ‘wars’ go, this is up there with the likes of the 16-Bit exchange between Sega and Nintendo, or what’s happening now with Sony and Microsoft, although if I’m being completely honest none of these industry skirmishes have winner or losers.

So if you’re a shooter fan in general terms – never mind a staunch Call of Duty or Battlefield follower – then you’re a winner as far as I’m concerned. You really are spoilt for choice, and you were most certainly not a loser for publicly admitting you preferred one series over the other. Those games aside, you also have IP like Halo and a host of other shooters that have been inspired by the big players, so really, you’ve always had shooters out the arse my friends. Out the chundering arse.

Whoever wins... We lose.

The community test area servers appears to have fixed the netcode issues BF has had for over 10 years :o

While it has been a horror show at times if this gets patched in soon this could become the best and most stable BF ever :o

Yea we are gonna do it, I am happy to wait until Kerraig is back to organise it, but if someone else wants to do something before then so be it. We need to maybe have somewhere for everyone to chip in to.

The community test area servers appears to have fixed the netcode issues BF has had for over 10 years :o

While it has been a horror show at times if this gets patched in soon this could become the best and most stable BF ever :o

Is there anywhere you can read patch notes and or impressions on these? Could not find anything on the official forums.

Is there anywhere you can read patch notes and or impressions on these? Could not find anything on the official forums.

Matimo or levelcap on youtube and the forums they are in - it's a pc thing at the moment, not sure how and what they will roll out to consoles!

I've extended the server I bought the other week. Re-named it RLLMUK, and added a bunch of conquest (small), Rush & Obliteration modes. It's set to 32 players, infantry only (to see how it feels without the usual tanks and airplanes), and the conquest maps are the smaller variants to keep it tighter.

It's rented for the week (might as well see if it gets any players before splashing out more than a fiver) and I'll make people here VIPs if you PM me. If it works out, we can extend it again and anyone who wants to donate can have admin rights.

Current rotation is:

Op Locker - Conquest

Golmud Railway - Rush

Zavod - Obliteration

Guilin Peaks - Conquest

Op Metro - Rush

Caspian Border - Conquest

Gulf of Oman - Obliteration

Happy to change the settings / map rotation / modes.

Go to the server browser and select the search tab. Then enter RLLMUK and it should find it. You can then save it as a favourite.

VIPs get bumped to the top of the queue if it's full. Admin access lets you kick / ban players or move them to the opposite team etc. It also probably lets you change settings, but I'm not sure to what extent.

I'd definitely be up for a platoon game one evening - my gaming time is quite irregular at the moment, but with a bit of notice I should be ok to join in. Would be interesting to try to play in a more coordinated way, especially if I can get my headset working :)

Despite my best efforts to not get drawn in the world of BF again after having to give up on BF3 when baby no. 2 arrived last year, I accidentally on purpose bought this and a PS4 yesterday. A quick go last night and I can see this may pull me back in again. It looks glorious.

Few (nearly) noob questions....

Does the BF premium just include the DLC and not the, seemingly pointless, shortcut packs? Are they really what they look like? Just progression 'cheats' packs? Eww...

Is there a rllmuk friends list for PS4 players?

One of the reasons I gave up on BF3 was when they opened up private servers and I kept ending up on some kick-happy servers. Wasn't fun. Is this still a problem? What servers should I be heading for?

Any recommended tutorial and tips videos on YT to get me up to speed?

Ta!

I unlocked those anti-air mines last night, how do I use them effectively?

You can't as they are useless - up high on a building but you have to hope that on the rare occasion they hit something it is already pretty much dead for you to actually finish them off!

Despite my best efforts to not get drawn in the world of BF again after having to give up on BF3 when baby no. 2 arrived last year, I accidentally on purpose bought this and a PS4 yesterday. A quick go last night and I can see this may pull me back in again. It looks glorious.

Few (nearly) noob questions....

Does the BF premium just include the DLC and not the, seemingly pointless, shortcut packs? Are they really what they look like? Just progression 'cheats' packs? Eww...

Is there a rllmuk friends list for PS4 players?

One of the reasons I gave up on BF3 was when they opened up private servers and I kept ending up on some kick-happy servers. Wasn't fun. Is this still a problem? What servers should I be heading for?

Any recommended tutorial and tips videos on YT to get me up to speed?

Ta!

No shortcuts in premium thankfully, just the DLC with early access and a few bonuses like server queue priority and extra battlepacks, premium only dog tags etc!

The PS4 thread has a list of psn id's and what games peeps have so can check there - if not add me and a few of the thread regulars and you will soon build up a list of the addicts!

Private servers are fairly new but thus far i haven't been kicked yet, some have some strange rules but there are plenty of Dice servers around!

Kerraig did a couple of tutorial vid's on facebook but on YT i like the Matimo and levelcap gaming vids - plenty of loadout stuff but again just squad up with some mukkers and you will pick it up quick enough if you played some bf3!!

The controls for tanks and aircraft are all weird on default so you will need to sort them out - there is a really good test area you can have a play around in to fine tune them.