James Herbert has died!

Danster

James Herbert (and Stephen King) were my introduction to adult novels back in my early teens. Really sad news to hear of his death.

Still got all my original 80s-vintage paperbacks. Might have to dig a few out for a well-deserved re-read.

RIP :(

I read The Rats in 1990 I think, and Lair and Domain shortly after. I was working away from home so would buy a new book of his each Saturday to read during the coming week.

I loved his earlier stuff, The Fog and The Dark in particular, but his later works went more away from brutal horror. I recall being very disappointed with Portent, but found Creed hilarious!

The only ones I haven't read are Fluke and Crickely Hall. I didn't realise he was so prolific in the 80s, a new book almost very year.

At times it felt like he never got the recognition he deserved, overshadow a bit by King. I seem to recall Herbert was the first UK author to get a £1M advance, not sure if that is true though

Bloody good bloke, and will sadly missed

Said on the news this morning that he had sold 58 million worldwide. So pretty much got the sales recognition!

I haven't read anything of his since I was a teenager, but am now wondering about going back to his classics and trying them again.

I was going to say that many of JH's books on Kindle have been 50p for ages... makes me sick people cashing in on death like this....

In other news, my British Horror book is still available to buy on Kindle for just £1.99! Continuing in the fine tradition of other great British horror writers...

Haven't read any of his stuff for years but started reading his books when I was about 11... that's why I'm so well adjusted.

Never really considered him a great writer but he definitely had his place, and had a big impact on a lot of people.

James Herbert (and Stephen King) were my introduction to adult novels back in my early teens. Really sad news to hear of his death.

Same here. When I transitioned from kids books to "grown up" books, he was the first author I read. I'm surprised more of his stuff hasn't done well from film adaptations. They never seemed to get them right, despite his books being full of cinematic set pieces.

I'm actually pretty gutted he's died. Such a big part of my early life. He'll be missed.

I'm tempted to read the Rats trilogy again.

Me too! I was 17, bought The Dead Zone and The Rats. Read The Rats in two days and wanted more. Went though a number of his books whenever I could get the money. Like others here I've not read anything of his since about 1991, but still sad to hear about his death. He got me reading proper books for grown-ups.

• 2 weeks later...

Our school library had a copy of The Fog, which always fell open on page 180. Guess which page the sex scene started on...

Is this the incredibly hot gay orgy in the school gym?

Anyway RIP Mr Herbert. I don't really like horror books at all, but I loved The Fog and the Rats series. Proper...well..horrible stuff. Creepy.

• 4 months later...

In that bit, doesn't...

...the PE teacher have a massive boner which then gets chopped off with a pair of garden shears by the caretaker?

I can't remember. His books are fucking horrible though. I'll agree with whoever said Domain was probably the most depressing book they'd read.