IGNORED

Transformers (originals)

Asura

Given the number of fans on the forum, I'm surprised we don't have a generic thread for all things Transformers directly related to the original 80s series.

I wouldn't describe myself as much of a fan (I mean I loved it as a kid, certainly) but with Blockbusters recent closure I picked up a DVD boxset for £3 of Transformers: Headmasters. I had some idea of what this was about beforehand; it seems it's a continuation of the original TV series by the animation company that did the animation for that series - but it was written by them also, and made purely for the East Asian market.

Whilst I've no doubt it'd be a very interesting curio for a hardcore Transformers fan, it is atrocious. Admittedly, the animation of the original series was never the best (those of you who have only recently seen the animated movie - be wary, as you'll have serious rose-tints) this far-east only series is not only poorly animated, but clearly written by the work experience kid, and the English dub has both the quality and production of a bunch of acting students sat around one microphone in a bedroom. It's actually kinda hilarious.

Has anyone here watched any of the 80s TF stuff lately?

I'm a big fan of the original cartoon which inspired me to make a few stop motion comedy episodes a couple of years back.

Anyway, I've always liked season 1 more than anything else. They seemed to really dumb things down for season 2 and then of course they tried making season 3 a space opera after the animated movie took place.

The Japanese Headmasters series was painful to watch. Even without the dodgy Singapore dub.

Actually I was always massively disappointed with the cartoon as a kid. Mainly as I was a huge fan of the comics, which were miles better. Brilliant in fact (I still rate the UK story lines highly!).

The movie was great though.

For some reason I did actually watch some episodes of the original series last year, and Asura's right, it's shonky as hell. I remembered them as being the same quality as the movie, but they're nowhere near the same league even. I can't hate them though, because 80s Transformers.

I picked up the massive fuck off US DVD boxset, that had all the '80s stuff, plus some nice new extras.

I couldn't watch it in any vast number, but I still like it and I can't say that for any other cartoon from my childhood. I remember at being distraught at how shit Thundercats and He-Man actually were.

It also helps that Transformers: The Movie, is probably one of my favourite films ever and can't begin to imagine how many times I've seen it.

The movie is obviously what most remember about the 80's cartoon, but nowadays even that is a bit cheesy (it is when you've watched it as many times as I have anyway). The actual cartoon itself was never the best for me, but that's mainly because of being spoiled by Mr Furman in the UK comic.

So far the only cartoon version that's got me hooked is the TF: Prime series, mainly due to its depth of characters and plot. It doesn't hurt that it also has the G1 voices for Prime and Megs.

I only ever owned one Transformers VHS and used to watch it about once a week. I think it's G1?

51mem6g6yvlsl500.jpg

Both stories are amazing! In the Key to Vector Sigma the Aerialbots and the Stunticons are created, and one of the Aerialbots overcomes a fear of flying which is fairly odd because he's a plane. In War Dawn the Aerialbots get sent back in time to The Golden Age of Cybertron (I can still hear the exact voice that one of them says that in ^_^ )

They were pretty much my only exposure to the cartoon for ages, until I went to my friend's house, watched the movie and cried my eyes out when Optimus Prime died. He never invited me round again :(

I had a few videos of 2 parters when I was a kid. More Than Meets The Eye, Megatron's Master Plan and The Return of Optimus Prime, The Rebirth are still pretty good.

I picked up the remastered box sets at Uni, a good laugh to watch through with housemates

I really need to get a box set of the originals at some point. I had a Betamaz (yes, BETAMAX!) video of the original original - "Arrival From Cybertron". Brilliant.

Some episodes that stick in my mind is the Rage virus one (where every single robot and human bar Rodimus Prime was infected and Rodimus had to go into the Matrix to resurrect Optimus Prime), Starscream coming back as a ghost to help the head of Unicron join with Cybertron (he got as far as finding the electrical cables needed to connect to Unicron's head but needed to be made whole again in order to physically move the cables - Unicron blasted his ghost to turn him back into a physical robot, only for Galvatron to show up and blast him to smithereens again) and when the Dinobots were created.

I remember the Headmasters too, but I think after watching Transformers for years that came waaaaaay down the line, yes? I remember when some Transformers got stranded on a planet with some human-like beings and those human-like beings were changed into Headmasters, or something? By that point, Transformers had jumped the shark though.

EDIT: Oh and obviously the hughlight of the G1 cartoons was whining Starscream trying to usurp Megatron at every turn while Megatron would see him coming a mile off and clunk him into next week (literally, next week's episode ;) ).

I know this thread is about the cartoon primarily, but any fan of TFs (especially those who grew up on the UK comics) ought to be buying this beautiful, beautiful comic:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_More_than_Meets_the_Eye

From the above link, the best description I've seen:

But mostly it's about lonely nobodies hanging out pretending they have friends

• 2 weeks later...

What annoyed me about Arrival From Cybertron was their robot modes on Cybertron bore no resemblance to their vehicle modes. Even when I was little it made no sense.

I always noticed that as a kid. However, if you think about it, its target audience was children; if you featured life on Cybertron with different alt modes and different robot modes, it may be hard for small children to tell who was who when everyone eventually got reformatted on Earth.

http://tformers.com/transformers-video-review-impossible-toys-tetra/19718/news.html