Torment: Tides of Numenera

Miner Willy

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, TehStu said:

As a backer, I've just been given the option to also have the console version for another $18. Going to get the PS4 version, have a feeling it won't do well on my PC.

The PC specs for these games are usually pretty low so I wouldn't worry too much. Plus for an RPG of this size you are going to need hours upon hours of time to dedicate to it... are you sure the TV is okay for that?

Good point. But my PC is a surface pro 3, so anemic Intel GPU and super high resolution screen. I'm 0 for 2 with Kickstarters - had to rebuy Elite on XB1 and Pillars of Eternity ran poorly when it was first released, haven't tried it since. Thing that worries me a bit is that to get it at this cheap price, you need to buy before the launch date. If it turns out it runs pants, I might be stuck or need to pay retail price. 

So close to release :wub: 

The Edge review made it sound brilliant, too - as I mentioned in the Edge thread, having read the review: all of the praise makes it sound like exactly the sort of game I want, and even the criticism at the end of the review makes it sound brilliant to me: it is criticised as needing a "self-motivated player to get the most out of [it]... not everyone will gel with the game's heady high concept - and its text-hevy manner of expressing it - or enjoy the process of bringing those interweaving threads together"  and not having "the most accessible elements of a traditional fantasy story, such as an obvious villain or clear stakes. The Last Castoff isn't, despite their provenance, particularly special. There are lots of castoffs... and that's the point, but it's a less grabby jumpingon-on point for a new or unconvinced player than 'Slay the Dragon'".

In short, its story is deep, complex and doesn't pander. Sounds brilliant!

(I am a bit miffed that they sent out review copies, but despite that they never announced a 'review standard' beta was out - I'd have played it by now if so! But I'm not sure if the backer beta version will be as complete as the review version, so I worry about starting it now, even knowing that if I don't I won't be trying the game for aaages, thanks to Horizon Zero Dawn and the Switch launching, plus friends visiting, all over the next few weeks :( )

Edited by Wiper

5 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, sadly this is getting skipped until Horizon and Andromeda are finished with. It's gonna tank big time, no-one's gonna buy it.

At first I thought it was awful timing for a launch - at least, amongst multiplatform gamers. But on reflection I don't think it's too bad timing considering that for pure PC gamers there won't be such an issue (Andromeda is far enough away that it shouldn't impact on its own), and we know that console versions are coming later on, so as long as they don't launch at a particularly ridiculous time they have decent potential.

Also, of course, it'll be offset somewhat by the Kickstarter funding providing a safety net, plus the fact that InXile aren't a one game studio - hopefully they shouldn't need a blockbuster success here.

53 minutes ago, Wiper said:

So close to release :wub: 

The Edge review made it sound brilliant, too - as I mentioned in the Edge thread, having read the review: all of the praise makes it sound like exactly the sort of game I want, and even the criticism at the end of the review makes it sound brilliant to me: it is criticised as needing a "self-motivated player to get the most out of [it]... not everyone will gel with the game's heady high concept - and its text-hevy manner of expressing it - or enjoy the process of bringing those interweaving threads together"  and not having "the most accessible elements of a traditional fantasy story, such as an obvious villain or clear stakes. The Last Castoff isn't, despite their provenance, particularly special. There are lots of castoffs... and that's the point, but it's a less grabby jumpingon-on point for a new or unconvinced player than 'Slay the Dragon'".

In short, its story is deep, complex and doesn't pander. Sounds brilliant!

(I am a bit miffed that they sent out review copies, but despite that they never announced a 'review standard' beta was out - I'd have played it by now if so! But I'm not sure if the backer beta version will be as complete as the review version, so I worry about starting it now, even knowing that if I don't I won't be trying the game for aaages, thanks to Horizon Zero Dawn and the Switch launching, plus friends visiting, all over the next few weeks :( )

It really does sound brilliant! Those are all positives as you say. I have the same problem as you though; no time to sit down and play it properly :(

I bought this with PayPal while drunk when it was first announced and totally forgot.  I started getting the emails they sent out to backers, put two and two together and realised I bought it but i still keep forgetting that I bought it. So every email I get from them gives me a little burst of happiness. But now I am worried that the actual game is going to be disappointing (especially after pillars of eternity). 

But but... It's already given me so much satisfaction ( by reminding me every so often that I effectively own a game that I forgot I own) that I don't really care. 

Not sure what my point is.

Add my name to the 'can't fucking wait' list. It's been a brilliant couple of years for fans of traditional isometric CRPGs. And arguably the best one of all time is finally getting a spiritual sequel. Can't wait to read through the reams upon reams of text and click a mouse loads. 

Yep, I do tend rate Fallout (2) above Planescape: Torment, as despite Planescape's writing being the best, Fallout is just more satisfying mechanically; combat in Fallout is a fun challenge, combat in Planescape is never more than a chore. Then again I'd say much the same for Baldur's Gate; outside of Temple of Elemental Evil I'm not sure I've played any D&D-derived games that I actively enjoyed the combat encounters of.

Which is why I'm delighted that Tides of Numenera, based on the developer notes, Edge review and what I've played of it, minimises the need for combat with the vast majority of situations allowing for alternative approaches.

Fallout 2 kind of spoiled all that with ridiculously jarring pop cultural references. It's hard to fully suspend disbelief when you're bumping into Monty Python characters every ten minutes. Better combat maybe, but they messed up other stuff. 

Reviews are up on some of the big sites now

Eurogamer - recommended

Like its predecessor, Numenera may not have invented its world, but it makes it one you'll want to spend time in. Where other RPGs are still content with a dragon or some apocalyptic end of the world boom, here the stakes are personal, as well as both asking and inviting far more interesting questions than how much fire you can fling from your fingertips. It's a far more welcoming game than the original Torment, though a slower burner as far as the main plot goes, and one that never quite has its predecessor's dark confidence. It is, however, as close as we've had in the last 15 or so years, and certainly doesn't invoke the name in vain.

RPS - recommended

There is, throughout, a slight air of artificiality to Torment: Tides of Numenera. It has been made to please a specific crowd, and sometimes that shows; sometimes that comes at the expense of what matters most. This is outweighed entirely by the scale of this accomplishment. Torment is the weird, wordy, wise and wicked roleplaying game we’ve so desired during these long years of heightened spectacle. Not a total triumph, no, but close enough.

PC Gamer - 89/100

I'm impressed by Tides of Numenera both as a follow-up to a beloved RPG and as the digital debut of a fascinating setting. I've deliberately avoided specifics in this review, but I'm confident that if you've got a part of your brain dedicated to clever sci-fi story prompts you'll find a lot to love here. There's no escaping that Torment is a strange beast—it's a game for readers, an adventure for people who don't necessarily want to fight—but it's great to have it back.

PCGamesN - 9/10

In a non-linear experience of time that befits the setting, we already know that Torment succeeds. At least 75,000 people are behind it, willing it into being. What’s so delightful is that it succeeds not primarily as a nostalgia exercise but as as a genre-pushing RPG, and a beautifully told story about things left behind.

Sixthaxis - 5/10 - says console version is broken

Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game whose plot, with its well written characters and plentiful twists and turns, could easily hook you in. However, it’s a game that is currently fundamentally broken on consoles. Despite the technical flaws, the plot definitely grew on me and it would be great for others to be able to experience it, as well as the world they’ve created, but until the game is fixed on a number of fronts, Torment: Tides of Numenera is hard to recommend.

So tempting to start this today, it sounds like the kind of game I had hoped for, but I want to finish Tyranny first.

Yeah, it seems this one is more close to what I like in the old school style. Pillars was good, initially, but the story and the world didn't hook me enough and the battles and skills did not feel very well balanced. I will come back to it though, as Pillars II looks amazing (especially inter party relationships and AI scripting).

I am waiting to see if this actually has good writing and good character writing, as the world already appeals to me. I am not looking for a nostalgia trip to the Torment days since a lot have changed, but a solid story and properly realized characters will be more than enough. I will wait for people's impressions here though. When reviews talk about ''great writing'' I know they rarely know what they are talking about.

25 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Daft question, but can someone confirm this is light text on a dark background? If reading a lot of text from a screen I prefer that. Wasteland 2 had light backgrounds and it was a real struggle.

Yes, it's light-on-dark. Here's an example I just captured from the start of the game:

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 11.18.58.png

The game decided I should be an Observant Nano.

EDIT: LeChuck's example is better, mine only shows the grey of descriptive text, not the white of spoken text.

42 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Yeah, it seems this one is more close to what I like in the old school style. Pillars was good, initially, but the story and the world didn't hook me enough and the battles and skills did not feel very well balanced. I will come back to it though, as Pillars II looks amazing (especially inter party relationships and AI scripting).

There's some basic AI scripting in Pillars 1 now. Turning it on made the game suddenly a lot easier!

Was up late playing this, and awake early thinking about a side quest!  I've got up a little before work to get a couple of hours in too; this is glorious.  

It feels like I'm playing a Torment game again.  They've captured the feel really well; helped by the great music and audio nods ("updated my journal").

The quality of the writing, at least at this early stage (I've cleared a few side quests in Sagus Cliffs), is what I was hoping for.  Conversations zip along at a pretty good pace (slightly less exposition than PS:T perhaps?) but they've done a great job of filling the world (at least this opening area) with interesting areas and characters to discover.