IGNORED

Prince Of Persia: Sot

Gloomy Andy

It's amazing, precise and predictable. Perfect.

And games (outside of abstract platformers like Mario, etc.) in which jumping is FASTER than running is one of my pet hates. In real life I think you'll find jumping just loses you traction and slows you down through air-resistance. Fine, make the character jump super-humanly high, but making him able to jump horizontally FURTHER than a run in the same time is ludicrous. ;):unsure:

-J

Be thankful though that most games aren't like Cobra on the CPC - jump all the time and you're invincible. Fun.

I like the Prince's pseudo-autonomy. If I wanted a true platformer, I wouldn't buy one with a real world setting like PoP, I'd go for the abstract nature of Mario and his ilk. There's only so much you can do with platforms in a castle, and I reckon PoP does it brilliantly. Instead of making a platformer, the game's really a puzzle game where each room gives you a start, a finish, and obstacles in between. Any Joe could manage the obstacles, it's working out the path that provides the entertainment.

It's not for everyone, just as the Mushroom Kingdom won't attract everyone. But it is excellent.

That should be "Prince of Persia > You"

Remeber the 'greedy crocodile'  :rolleyes:

No, no it's ALLIGATOR!

Silly.

Gloomy, you suck at games.

I want to like PoP, but from the little i've played so far, I can't do the combat.

I just need to practice it though.

Remeber the 'greedy crocodile'  :rolleyes:

Oops, yeah your right.

Still doesnt make sense though?

The hungry alliagtor wants to eat the biggest, best BETTER thing.

So the alliagtors hungry mouth > points too the best thing.

I think.

Remeber the 'greedy crocodile'   :rolleyes:

Oops, yeah your right.

Still doesnt make sense though?

The hungry alliagtor wants to eat the biggest, best BETTER thing.

So the alliagtors hungry mouth > points too the best thing.

I think.

The alligator is at the top of the food-chain, eating anything along its path...

More important blah blah...

Kinda daft if you ask me...

..go on admit it your just trying to be indiviual by being the only person on the forum who dislikes it, arent you :rolleyes:

if by being the only person who finds it frustrating and 75% of the time not fun to play then yes

remember - i still think that whens its good its very good ... set peices, fluid movement and the like ...

its just that it winds me up like nothing else and theres far too much combat ... nothing at all like its originator which still has one of the best gaming puzzles of all time (SPOILER the mirror warror and the sheathing sword bit)

just thought i'd discuss why i dont gush its praises like everyone else ...

so neeeerrrrrrrrr

if by being the only person who finds it frustrating and 75% of the time not fun to play then yes

remember - i still think that whens its good its very good ... set peices, fluid movement and the like ...

its just that it winds me up like nothing else and theres far too much combat ... nothing at all like its originator which still has one of the best gaming puzzles of all time (SPOILER the mirror warror and the sheathing sword bit)

just thought i'd discuss why i dont gush its praises like everyone else ...

so neeeerrrrrrrrr

Ahh.. so it is IS because your rubbish at it :rolleyes:

I agree that the combat gets repetetive and that the actual structure could have been mixed up a bit. In each area you seem to have to do the same thing. i.e. clear it of enemies, then solve the puzzle, then move onto the next area and repeat. But that is my ONLY criticism of an otherwise Excellent game.

As for the inability to jump. IMO To include that, would totally ruin the structure of the puzzles. Remember its not real, yes in reality he should be able to jump over bloody everything (including those spinning blade things) but to include it in the game would just make it even easier than it already is.

BTW how far into it are you, because later on (around the 75% mark) there are some fantastic sections

Ahh.. so it is IS because your rubbish at it :rolleyes:

I agree that the combat gets repetetive and that the actual structure could have been mixed up a bit. In each area you seem to have to do the same thing. i.e. clear it of enemies, then solve the puzzle, then move onto the next area and repeat. But that is my ONLY criticism of an otherwise Excellent game.

As for the inability to jump. IMO To include that, would totally ruin the structure of the puzzles. Remember its not real, yes in reality he should be able to jump over bloody everything (including those spinning blade things) but to include it in the game would just make it even easier than it already is.

BTW how far into it are you, because later on (around the 75% mark) there are some fantastic sections

yes the structure is repetetive ...

and the combat is still rubbish - maybe if there were more/any one on one sword fighting bits like the original

and yes as i said above i've thought more about it and boutrous' point about jumping everywhere really made me think about why they left it out and now i see that they did it for a very good reason

anyway i still find it frustrating and the way i seem to play it is very trial and error with whether or not i can make the leaps etc ...

anyway its not as good as i'd have expected and i've played better games this year ... end of story

still glad ive got it tho and its not leaving my collection ... im just not sure if i'll ever get around to finishing it when i've got so many other more enjoyable games to play

anyway keep your opinions to yourself you cult leader of casual gaming you ... in your ea shirt ... playing games casualy ... :(

yes the structure is repetetive ...

A strength, not a failing. Learn, repeat, master.

Sign of a good game.

and the combat is still rubbish

Erm.... why?

and yes as i said above i've thought more about it and boutrous' point about jumping everywhere really made me think about why they left it out and now i see that they did it for a very good reason

Yeah, most of it was for a very good reason, that being that it works almost perfectly.

..and the way i seem to play it is very trial and error with whether or not i can make the leaps etc ...

that simply shouldn't be the case 90% of the time. And when it does happen - rewind time, baby!

Seriously, there is no fundamental error in the mechanics; ie. the way the Prince moves specifically makes sure you make the jump if you're in the right place (a reason why some say it is too easy), so if you find you're falling down a lot, it must be because you are not jumping in the right place rather than the right way - because there is only one 'way' to jump and land and stuff. You see?

Which means you either have a problem with your 3D spatial awareness, or the game doesn't make it clear to you 'where' you need to jump. Seeing as it practically leads the player by the hand, I find that hard to believe.

1) anyway i still find it frustrating and the way i seem to play it is very trial and error with whether or not i can make the leaps etc ...

2) still glad ive got it tho and its not leaving my collection ... im just not sure if i'll ever get around to finishing it when i've got so many other more enjoyable games to play

3) anyway keep your opinions to yourself you cult leader of casual gaming you ... in your ea shirt ... playing games casualy ... :(

1) If your finding it trial and error at the mo. Imagine what it would be like if you could jump everywhere. Its odd your struggling with it. I really seemed to click with it and never once found myself having to do any "leaps of faith" or anything like that. Through a combination of watching the visions points and just looking around the areas I could work out where to go and what to do.

2) go on then give up...see if i care. Go back to playing Gungrave instead.

3) and you forgot to mention my EA branded toiletries :rolleyes:

Well, I finished it last night and it is truly excellent. The last 10% had me for a little while but a little forethought saw me through.

Someone mentioned the arty camera angles for jumping. If you're clinging to a pole or a stalalctite or a pillar and want to jump to the next one, just go into first person view, face the place you want to jump and press the jump button. The camera whips out from the first person view and the prince jumps in the direction you've just been looking. Great!

The combat also took a while to click, but once it did, it's ace. Getting the wall bounce and block attack are the keys to most fights, especially later in the game against the Pike wielding twats. It can get a little untidy in places but the sheer joy of bounding over somebody while slashing them in the back, then bouncing off the wall and knocking someone over, stealing their sand and the other one you killed, cartwheeling back against the wall and using the double jump off the wall to leap behind someone and taking them out, stabbing someone with the dagger and watching them float away in slo-mo before block attacking an incoming attacker, leaping to split the slo-mo enemy in two before draining the last attackers on the floor of their sand cannot be understated. It's just ace. And the cube version is, from what little I played of the PS2 version round at a friends, much nicer to look at and feels much smoother too.

I don't think it's old school enough for him.

He's a massive retro boy don't forget.

Well, why doesn't he play it until he unlocks the original Prince of Persia. Of course, after playing that, he'll realise that SoT is not so bad after all.

Because he can't do it?!

Oh, and he has the original on his phone.

:rolleyes:

Well, why doesn't he play it until he unlocks the original Prince of Persia. Of course, after playing that, he'll realise that SoT is not so bad after all.

Because he can't do it?!

:blink:

Ah hah, solution. Tell him, if its too hard, I`ll finish the mean & nasty game for him when im next over. ;)

Because he can't do it?!

Ah hah, solution. Tell him, if its too hard, I`ll finish the mean & nasty game for him when im next over. ;)

Heehee.

I think we should stop being mean to him now.

I'll finish it for him.

He'll be much happier playing NFSU!

True, SoT is not so bad after all, plus it's a much cheaper place to live than Didsbury.

Yes, it's a joke, kind of.

... im just not sure if i'll ever get around to finishing it when i've got so many other more enjoyable games to play

It's a ten hour game. That statement is fucking criminal.

Bottom line is you don't deserve its undoubted brilliance. Go into the rllmuk Trading section and offer it for a fiver postage paid to someone who is more worthy of it, you belly-aching philistine.

I'm about two hours in on the GC version. I love the movement, the wall running and timed jumping, the puzzles, the atmosphere, the graphics and the stylish looks of it all. The fighting is so so but I think it had to be in the game.

I don't like the cut scenes at all mind and would much have prefered these to be 'in engine' - they take away the atmosphere and jolt you back into relising you are only playing a game with a corny story. Ubi Soft always seem to do this with their cut scenes when Ocarina of Time and Half Life both proved beyond all doubt in 1998 that in game, in engine story development was the best.

... im just not sure if i'll ever get around to finishing it when i've got so many other more enjoyable games to play

yep, I did it in eight hours on the dot, two four hour sessions, easy.

I finished the PC version over Christmas. On a capable PC with a Dual Shock USB adaptor, this game is a work of art. Definitely one of my favourite games of last year, it was simply a joy to play from start to finish.

I know that I'll enjoy going back to it, nothing really to unlock but when it's this much fun to play, who cares?

yep, I did it in eight hours on the dot, two four hour sessions, easy.

Maybe so, but that's 5 hours he'd be better of playing something he was enjoying isn't it?

Calm down kids, the world's not going to end ok?

ive been playing POP for the last few days and im really enjoying it so far. Im about 33% in so far.

The combat is really the only thing that isnt too hot about the game. But saying that, its not bad (starfox adventure combat it aint).

Does anyone else think that the combat engine (at least) would fair well in a Buffy the Vampire Game? As in when you stab them in the chest with the dagger.

The level designs are really good, and the controls work very well with the game.

For the record i am enjoing this one, much more than the old 2d version =)

ive been playing POP for the last few days and im really enjoying it so far. Im about 33% in so far.

The combat is really the only thing that isnt too hot about the game. But saying that, its not bad (starfox adventure combat it aint).

Does anyone else think that the combat engine (at least) would fair well in a Buffy the Vampire Game? As in when you stab them in the chest with the dagger.

The level designs are really good, and the controls work very well with the game.

For the record i am enjoing this one, much more than the old 2d version =)

Games have come a long way, and this franchise in particular.

Unlocked POP1 after finishing the Xbox version of SoT. Played the unlocked original in all it's 8bit "glory" for about 2 frustrating minutes before I realised that retro is the arse.