IGNORED

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Harsin

It's a reference to Dollhouse. The doll asks their handler the question after being restored to the state of a doll after their mission. I don't know if there is another meaning.

I'm aware of the reference; that's my point.

That phrase suggests that it's not the original or full Coulson, in some way (it wouldn't have been :omg: or even had any sort of implication if it weren't a reference to the tabula rasa).

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't on last week. Episode 10 aired in the US this week, so it should be on Channel 4 tonight. Its the last episode before the Christmas break and it's pretty decent. Decent for SHIELD, anyway.

Thank you. I was just reaching that conclusion, having distracted myself for a while with some Netflixery, so I deleted my post without having seen yours. Sorry I made your post look weird!

Apparently this 'mid-season finale' hit an all new ratings low for the show in the US. I can't imagine Marvel Studios and ABC are particularly thrilled with that result.

This stopped being pay attention TV for me a while ago. Now sometimes I'll stick it on in the background while I do something more interesting. This episode wasn't helped by the fact that this week Arrow did a balls-to-the-wall amazing episode on a similar subject matter and made this look like amateur hour, particularly the embarrassing looking fight sequences.

Apparently this 'mid-season finale' hit an all new ratings low for the show in the US. I can't imagine Marvel Studios and ABC are particularly thrilled with that result.

This stopped being pay attention TV for me a while ago. Now sometimes I'll stick it on in the background while I do something more interesting. This episode wasn't helped by the fact that this week Arrow did a balls-to-the-wall amazing episode on a similar subject matter and made this look like amateur hour, particularly the embarrassing looking fight sequences.

You know I've not given Arrow a chance yet, after reading this I think I will.

It was a good episode this week, but its just not a very good show really. I thought they were going to get J August in as their mini Luke cage but I guess not.

I think of the guy who was in this and the Winter Soldier trailer as "EDF guy" now as I was paying more attention to that than him.

• 4 weeks later...

So, SHIELD was back last night. And it wasn't bad! There was some interesting developments and some pretty good action. Although I still find two-thirds of the characters boring, this week seemed to focus on the more interesting ones.

So.

I assume there's more to it, but the whole, Agent Coulsen is alive because MAGIC MACHINE DID STUFF TO HIS BRAIN OR SOMETHING was a bit anti climactic.

Still, a decent episode. But I feel like I'm already in that Smallville cycle where I'm only watching it because superheroes.

I watched this episode because they've been bigging it up in interviews as EVERYTHING CHANGES and doing their best to reassure people that this where it will start getting good. I thought it was still rubbish, horrible overlit photography like early RTD episodes of Doctor Who, calling the characters one dimensional would be a compliment (Scotch blokes angry acting was lolworthy) and the action scenes are still really flat and amateurish. I mainly tuned in for promised reveal of how Coulson is still alive. The answer to the big mystery that they've painfully dragged out over 10 episodes is:

Er, he had experimental brain surgery but it was really traumatic for him, so we gave him a nice memory of a holiday instead.

Really?

They left enough wiggle room that they can add to it in future, but to be honest I don't think I care anymore.

There has to be more to it than that, surely?

This has to be a bait-and-switch, where they present us with the shitest possible way for Coulson to be alive and then last episode;

BOOM

Fury: "We couldn't save you're body, Phil. You died that day but we could save your mind and put it it something more...robust. (beat) You're an android, Phil."

Coulson: (looking down at the sparking stump that is all that remains of his hand and speaking in an altered, robotic monotone) "(pause) Phil is dead. I am...I...am.."

Fury: (squints)

Coulson: "I am The Vision".

(Coulson suddenly flights straight up and smashes through the roof of the building, soaring up, up, directly into camera and -

SMASH CUT TO BLACK

CREDITS