Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Harsin

Shiiiiiit, this week's ep was about as grim and heavy as there's ever been. Wasn't expecting it at all given how fun season 7 has been so far.

Edit: On the other hand, the promo for next week's episode looks like an 80s buddy cop laugh riot with Mack & Deke, which I am totally down for.

• 4 weeks later...

That latest episode, 9 I think - it’s based around a Groundhog Day gimmick that I have seen somewhere (everywhere?) before, like almost exactly this plot - time keeps repeating infinitely and each time the protagonist has to try and fix it, but everyone else forgets.

When I was watching it I felt very sure this was done in another TV show in fairly recent memory. Ignoring the obvious stuff like Groundhog Day itself and Edge of Tomorrow, which didn’t occur to me at all while I was watching it - I have a strong suspicion it was that episode of Doctor Who (Heaven Sent?)

Despite it being as over-used as the seven samurai ‘protect the village’ trope, I did really like that episode. Some good character feels.

Time loop episodes are indeed everywhere, but I've found that they're often among the most enjoyable episodes of whatever they're in. SG-1's springs to mind as one of the best examples. "In the middle of my backswing?" :D

Anyway, this one was really good too, and surprisingly emotional. It was actually a bit jarring when the last scene returned to evil baddies being evil.

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Time loop episodes are indeed everywhere, but I've found that they're often among the most enjoyable episodes of whatever they're in. SG-1's springs to mind as one of the best examples. "In the middle of my backswing?" :D

Poor Teal’c though. 

Random Stargate fact about that episode: As the start of every loop for O'Neill began with him eating a spoonful of Cheerios, they had to superglue the Cheerios to the spoon so each loop they were in exactly the same position. 

I need to give Stargate a rewatch. I loved it back in the day. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Random Stargate fact about that episode: As the start of every loop for O'Neill began with him eating a spoonful of Cheerios, they had to superglue the Cheerios to the spoon so each loop they were in exactly the same position. 

I need to give Stargate a rewatch. I loved it back in the day. 

That's some attention to detail!

I actually did go back and watch the episode, and it still holds up well. The actual solution to the loop was a lot more straightforward than this AoS episode, but then that's not what makes it memorable.

And yes, poor Teal'c. :D

Finally caught up on all of these. This series has been great, honestly - too many good bits to mention but hats off to the 80s pastiche episode. I knew the Max Headroom bit was coming it it was glorious. And was that a Red Dwarf series 2 nod when they were walking around the base with Coulson on the telly? The little robot arm even reminded me of a skutter!

Yeah, they're just having a fun victory lap just enjoying themselves - the Coulson and Daisy bants in the time loop ep were wonderful (also Simmons first time directing gig!). My only complaints about the season are still no sign of Fitz, and power-thieving Poundland Joker Malick is kinda lame as final antagonists go. Still, bringing in Bill Paxton's son to play the younger John Garrett was sweet, he's certainly got his dad's shit-eating grin down pat.

If they work out a way to bring Ward back (and if Garrett's already gone rogue 30 years early, it's possible) I will lose my shit.

• 2 weeks later...

So that’s it then. Nice to have a show actually finish as intended, and not get cancelled prematurely.

Was there a real world reason for Fitz to be absent for this series? If it was purely for plot reasons/drama, I’m not convinced it was worth it (compared to him being part of the fun final season with everyone else).

I lost the thread somewhere with all the time travel and teleporting in the final episode, so basically ended up massively confused and not particularly emotional about it all. There was a scene earlier in the series where Daisy talked about how horrible it would be if they all ended up as ‘people who used to work together’...

So what the hell was that final scene about, they just wanted to show she was right? Great acting I guess - everyone looked awkward and uncomfortable. Not really the best way to leave it though.

I’m still not particularly sure what the deal was with Simmon’s freaking out when her memory blocking implant was turned off a few episodes ago

other than a red herring to make us believe Fitz was dead. Could only have been from the guilt of ‘abandoning’ their child? Despite the fact they had a working time machine and weren’t actually abandoning her at all.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

I’m still not particularly sure what the deal was with Simmon’s freaking out when her memory blocking implant was turned off a few episodes ago

Hide contents

other than a red herring to make us believe Fitz was dead. Could only have been from the guilt of ‘abandoning’ their child? Despite the fact they had a working time machine and weren’t actually abandoning her at all.

It was indeed about...

Spoiler

her child. Don't forget that she wasn't just emotional about leaving her child, she had also just remembered that she even had a child to abandon.

I felt that the main arc was quite weak for the last season, but it was really just an excuse for the theme and I really enjoyed a lot of the episodes on their own. I thought it tied things up really well.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Was there a real world reason for Fitz to be absent for this series? If it was purely for plot reasons/drama, I’m not convinced it was worth it (compared to him being part of the fun final season with everyone else).

He was doing other stuff (including a couple of BBC things) and they only had very limited time with him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished the final season on Disney+. I’ve found some seasons to be a little lacking, possibly due to the larger number of episodes stretching things out, but this one was spot on. No filler and the whole thing was really enjoyable.

It’s never been a show at the top of my list of favourites but I’ve always enjoyed watching it and I’m sorry to see it go.

I wonder if any of the characters will ever end up in the MCU?

I'm halfway through the first series at the moment. I'm aware it gets better and I need to stick with it - and the fact it got 7 seasons and a 31-page thread on rllmuk kind of backs that up - but it is so so bad right now.

Characters so far include:

- genius hacker girl who lives in a van but somehow still manages to look like a supermodel

- token Asian woman who wears tight leather pants and does kung fu because of course she fucking does

- special agent Beefcake McBland who is the only character who's been given zero personality or backstory so is clearly going to die or betray everyone very soon

One of the scientists has the least convincing English accent I've ever heard despite the actress actually being English.

Despite all that it's bizarrely entertaining but mostly because it's all so terrible. When does it get better?!

It's been a long time, but I remember it getting a lot better about halfway through season 1, so you probably don't have long to go.

The show continues to change and mix things up as it goes on, so it is worth sticking with

It's very 'up and down', although it never becomes amazing. Season 7 is easily it's strongest point although by about Season 4 they've basically just thought 'fuck it' in relation to the MCU and just come up with a load of crazy shit to see what sticks. 

I enjoyed the show, but wouldn't watch it again. 

Didn't it take ages to get going because it was trying to tie in with the MCU, and then once something had happened there (Avengers Assemble?) it all just suddenly kicked off?

Now it's on Disney+ I'm tempted to actually try and give it all another go, even if it's just as background while I play on the 3DS/Switch. I've never been fully won over by it (I gave up around where Gar is the first time around, back when I would've actually had to watch it on regular TV/e4/whatever), but have lived with people who watched it since, and therefore seen chunks of what came after. It seemed wildly variable in terms of performance, characterisation, and just overall quality, but it was likeable enough.

Just now, JDubYes said:

Didn't it take ages to get going because it was trying to tie in with the MCU, and then once something had happened there (Avengers Assemble?) it all just suddenly kicked off?

I think it was Winter Soldier that kicked things off. The show started after Assemble, with Coulson's survival being something of a surprise.

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I think it was Winter Soldier that kicked things off. The show started after Assemble, with Coulson's survival being something of a surprise.

Yessss, that's it. Coulson's resurrection was sort of the whole point early on, so I should've remembered that really.

I think I gave up after few episodes, then caught the last few episodes of s1 and couldn't believe it was the same show. From what I could tell/was told they'd had to tread water for about 17 episodes, then as soon as the Winter Soldier stuff happened it suddenly got gud.