Thatcher Film Night

So, someone posted a Brassed Off clip in the "Thatcher's Dead" thread, and it got me wondering which other films would make up a good film night in memory of Thatcher.

Full Monty has also been mentioned.

Is Iron Lady worth watching?

This is then the point that I realise my film knowledge is not up to the encyclopaedic levels of other forumites.

So, what else would be good to add to the list?

Are there any films about the Falklands war?

The Strike.

Peter Richardson as Al Pacino playing Arthur Scargill. Jennifer Saunders as Meryl Streep playing Mrs. Scargill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAmMpnz6RoY

The film concerns Paul (Alexei Sayle), a Welsh former miner and aspiring screenwriter, who writes a hard-hitting filmscript about his own experiences of the 1984 Miners' Strike. However, the Hollywood production company that gets hold of his script turns it into a ludicrously sensationalist and anachronistic action film, starring Al Pacino (played by Richardson) as Arthur Scargill, and Meryl Streep (Jennifer Saunders) as his wife.

I'd recommend G.B.H by Alan Bleasdale just to balance things out. Not all left wing politicians and unions were saint like.

From memory it also rips into post modernism from an angle I'm surprised no-one else has tried since.

(This scene deals with some left wing thugs under the control of the local Labor leader monstering a school headmaster for breaking a picket line to keep a special school open for the day.)

I watched Threads a couple of years back. I'd forgotten just how bleak it was. The run-up to war feel convincing, including a breakdown in law and order. The aftermath is so depressing and without hope it makes yuo doubt the point in going on, but I guess that was the intention. That ending though, crikey.

Threads.

Just what I would recommend. The shattered society that it depicts isn't a million miles away from what the Thatcher legacy will eventually turn the country into, so it works on several levels.

Just what I would recommend. The shattered society that it depicts isn't a million miles away from what the Thatcher legacy will eventually turn the country into, so it works on several levels.

Threads is also good for the pro-Thatcher crowd given how many of the pro-Thatcher friends I have that have gone on and on about how Thatcher was almost single handedly responsible for defeating communism.

Threads is also good for the pro-Thatcher crowd given how many of the pro-Thatcher friends I have that have gone on and on about how Thatcher was almost single handedly responsible for defeating communism.

What exactly did you mean by this? Still bugging me