Batman Arkham Origins

I've got to admit, Arkham City ultimately left me cold with the twin terrorpunch of its rubbish main story and elventy billion Riddler things after the far more manageable and fun amount in the previous game. That, combined with the fact Rocksteady aren't even doing this one, has left me reluctant to even bother...

Still, *if* that earlier post was true and Lady Shiva's in it, the possibility of them creating the mother of all punchtastic martial arts counter-fest boss battles for her as result have turned me around a bit. Plus it'd be nice to have some new guys voicing Batman and the Joker, freshen things up a bit.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually went back to Arkham City over the last month, started a new game+ and did all the leftover riddles as well. The only ones I've got left are some catwoman ones and 9 of the physical challenges.

I rarely do that (go back and get all the collectibles) with a game. I now feel a little sad in that there's so little left for me to do with that game, especially in that final play session I had one of those moments where another part of the combat just clicks and you reach a new level of mastery.

So, i;m definitely interested in this, but I'm going to wait for the reviews and look to get it in the new year when it's cheaper. possibly wait for a GoTY edition (if there is one).

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely love the rocksteady batman games and was worried by the change of devs but I'm massively looking forward to this. Perhaps there would be more excitement if it was coming out on the next gen but if your a PC owner it's as good as.

Yeah excited about the idea of another Arkham game but the actual gameplay vids I've seen of this look extremely similar to Arkham City, both in terms of free flying and the combat, maybe too similar for me to get that psyched.

I hopeful that the story mode is as engaging as the previous two

You do know the riddles were optional? They shouldn't in any way make Arkham City worse for anyone.

But they do, you're tripping over them constantly for the first few hours. And it's not always apparent that you don't have the skill required yet, so you waste time trying to solve one you can't solve.

I did 100% that game though, so it must have done something right. The real game is in the challenge modes, the singleplayer campaign is just a warmup.

• Upvote 1

One thing that I think will annoy me;

It's meant to be a prequel, early on in Batman's career, but from what I've seen the move list/gadget list is a super-set of what we had in City. So does that mean that Batman started out with tons of awesome shit from the get-go, then inexplicably lost most of it for Asylum, then got some of it back for City?

One thing that I think will annoy me;

It's meant to be a prequel, early on in Batman's career, but from what I've seen the move list/gadget list is a super-set of what we had in City. So does that mean that Batman started out with tons of awesome shit from the get-go, then inexplicably lost most of it for Asylum, then got some of it back for City?

Does this not apply to every prequel, be it flm or game, ever? Goes with the territory.

The Batman games are two of the only games this gen that I actually replayed from start to finish. I absolutely adore them. I so want this to be up there with those, and I will probably cave an pre-order. I guess "more of the same" will satisfy me. The shallow, easy, lay that I am.

Due to this not being Rocksteady and my slowly phasing out PS3 in preparation for PS4 I'm leaving this one, although I'm intrigued by the 3DS version. The sparse information I've seen is promising, so fingers crossed.

It feels a bit like when they tried to squeeze out two games out of not just Assassins Creed, but Assassins Creed II because it was well received. The first Arkham obviously was great, the second offered something new in the larger open world stuff, this looks like City but its snowing. The main claim seems to be that the play area is larger, but not incredibly so really. I think they should have tried to do something different, especially as the team is different.

For example, this is supposed to be when Batman is younger but as loads of people have said, it doesn't look that way at all. What if they had really tried to make it like Year One or the start of Batman Begins and you are really just wearing a balaclava for much of the beginning. The stress could be put toward improved and innovative detective mechanics and the combat would be more deadly than ever because getting shot or stabbed by a nobody would be instantly punishing. Learning the combos and skills, getting the gear would be even more natural. You could still expand Gotham and have fast travel via any number of excuses (Alfred picking you up etc). They could have played with the gameplay and visual style a lot more then and it would have been consistant in the story. It wouldn't really have messed anything up for Rocksteady to come and do a bigger, better next game either.

Or if they had gone down an even weirder path, like using the same system but doing like the Knightfall story , a Batman RIP or general Grant Morrisson based game. Or The Dark Knight Returns! It just feels and looks really unambitious and disinterested as is compared to the other two. The first game didn't really look iexciting until you played the demo, then most people really liked it for the gameplay and all the other stuff they nailed. City was interesting because it was going to greatly expand the scope and have the roaming with all the side missions attached to that. If all this one can say is "it's a wee bit bigger again", then it can't really drum up much excitement for me, I'm not saying I won't buy it, just that it puts it on the list of "Aye, I'll get it later on..."

• Upvote 4

Nvidia presentation of Batman origins (possible spoilers):

Key points taken from presentation (possible spoilers)

Batman: Arkham Origins

GAME
- City around twice the size of Arkham City. Two major parts connected by the bridge.
- Call in Batwing to automatically take you to the Batcave, as well as fast travel across the map.
- Interact with the Batcave: speak to Alfred, use workbench to collect gadgets, find Easter Eggs.
- Batcave has a "training gym". Aimed at showcasing the combat system to players who didn't fully appreciate it in previous Batman games. Lets you compete in challenges, rewarding with XP to upgrade Batman.
- Cops an enemy along with thugs.
- Encounter grading (eg: A = Legendary Vigilante).
- "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" analogy used to describe Batman's aggression in Origins.
- Barbara Gordon plays an important role in the plot.

NVIDIA TECH
- Deformable snow, as you move through it (eg: footprints, rolls). Depth of imprints different based on where snow has fallen.
- Particle physics for falling snow.
- Lots of tech put into physics, tessellation, and lighting on the cape.
- Turbulence from punches, and motion of the cape, shapes the motion of particle physics (eg: snow and smoke).