EDF 2025

Thread Owner

Man I'm so kicking myself for importing this and then having no time to play it! Fucking family life eh. Manage to at least do Last of Us though.

Don't suppose anyone fancies taking it off me? I paid 50-odd quid for it including delivery.. lets say £40 incl postage? Anyone? :(

Its so, so good. I really have problems playing other games, they never live up to the action in EDF. It's like the Warioware of 3rd person shooters, everything fun distilled into a pure form, no filler, no active reload, no ammo limits, save points, nothing limiting the fun. I love it so much, if there was one game for a desert island, its this.

Yeah, there's a purity to EDF that a lot of modern games lose by trying to add depth/sophistication.. often by over complicating the mechanics or the controls - frequently just making them fiddly - especially for those of us without ridiculous ninja reflexes or overdeveloped muscle memory..

EDF just has it tuned perfectly..

I can easily hit what I aim at..

I can easily dodge out of the way..

So my brain only has to deal with dodge/killing my way through a fuckload of bus sized killer ants and avoid being trodden on by a robot the size of a stadium while enough pyrotechnics to last Michael Bay a lifetime explode around me..

Its so, so good. I really have problems playing other games, they never live up to the action in EDF. It's like the Warioware of 3rd person shooters, everything fun distilled into a pure form, no filler, no active reload, no ammo limits, save points, nothing limiting the fun. I love it so much, if there was one game for a desert island, its this.

Yeah, the first game you want on a desert island is one that's going to make you afraid of giant bugs ;)

Yeah the loading times are vast. Well..im done. Finished it. 85 levels this time around, 5 are unlocked online or something but the menus are unfathomable. Online is unworkable, not that im bothered. Action-wise nothing will touch this this year, or any other year, its just mental.

No spoilers, just vague chatter so I wont tag it. So, so many good bits, i mean real standout incredible jaw dropping moments. Literally, ive just sat in awe at whats going on, on-screen. Some enemies are just beyond huge, it will blow your mind. Im talking ones that make Ugh-Zan from Serious Sam look like a dwarf. Anyone familiar with GDF will recognise some enemies, and find the end fairly familiar. So many standout encounters, there is a vast fight in a flat green field that lasts ages even for EDF...just a pure assault on your senses. The new enemies are interesting and introduced well. There are variations of hector types with suprising results, good twists. There are new dropships that are incredibly well animated, with a stunning sense of scale to them, way better than the saucer types. There is another sky based enemy that takes about 5 minuts to "arrive" that has you just thinking what the hell?!

It gets a bit of a slog towards the end, its almost too long, but in a way some enemies are underused, there are plenty of combinations left that werent fully utilised...so you can see where the DLC will come in. But the game gives plenty of value. There isnt anywhere to really farm high up this time round, all levels beyond level 11 are lethal on hardcore and insane, utterly lethal. The ps3 version is definitely rough round the edges, the trees and LOD stuff in particular needs work, some of the pop up is rubbish, but the important items are drawn incredibly far away. You can literally see the green tint of a weapon box from about 2 scale miles away, they never dissapear.

Considering theres still 8 months for this to come out, id still recommend picking it up, and i'll buy the 360 version next year too for online, and to read the story. The troops dialogue is all still great though, they sing a lot too. EDF fans have some serious treats to look forward too. Its just the best action game out there bar none, you cant play Halo, or Gears or any of that stuff after EDF, they look pathetically small scale and mean spirited with enemies. I never want to deal with ammo limits, or clear out little combat bowls of knee high walls providing cover. Its like ive had videogame heroine, and other games are just the crappest weed resin you could buy from some dodgy pub dealer. Anyway rant over, this was brilliant.

• 4 months later...

Anyone picking this up next month ? Just over a month to go. I unfortunately didn't get to spend as much time with the japanese version as I wanted (forgetfulness, other games and real life in the way!) so looking forward to getting this next month in english. Might try and sell the japanese version on before then and start from scratch.

Great game from what I played though and could recommend it to EDF fans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

www.edf2025.com

The site is now live - there's a facebook thing to sign up with - which shows a cheesy newscast video - but it then lets you sign up to get a free 'special ops pack' download code..

Not sure if it's the DLC mentioned here - five additional missions due to cost $3.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/22/5333488/earth-defense-force-2025-and-special-ops-dlc-strikes-feb-13

Chucked a few quick icons together if anyone wants one..

2vwGN4h.jpgWJEAnZ3.jpgvDl5AN1.jpg

So far they've only announced the ~next~ EDF will be a PS4 title.. But that's likely to be years away..

2025 is 360 and PS3 only.. The PS3 version is reportedly a little shakier - lower frame rate (especially in split screen - even after the patch) main difference though is it lacks the option for split screen players to go online.. so if you want to do that you'll need a 360..

www.edf2025.com

The site is now live - there's a facebook thing to sign up with - which shows a cheesy newscast video - but it then lets you sign up to get a free 'special ops pack' download code..

Not sure if it's the DLC mentioned here - five additional missions due to cost $3.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/22/5333488/earth-defense-force-2025-and-special-ops-dlc-strikes-feb-13

Chucked a few quick icons together if anyone wants one..

2vwGN4h.jpgWJEAnZ3.jpgvDl5AN1.jpg

Cheers, done and shared.

EDF 2017 was my game of this console gen!

I'm assuming it will be supplanted by next weekend :D

Glad there is extra content (on top of the 90-odd existing levels!)

I suppose EDF games are probably dead easy to add missions onto.. You'd have to assume it's mostly just scripting where you start in what map, what enemies appear where in the various waves, add an intro screen and some between wave audio.. done! The rest just happens organically - yet it's usually more varied and cinematic than a lot of heavily scripted games.. :wub:

OK, so 85 stages in the game, another 9 online only + 45(!) dlc stages??

Special Ops (February 21) - Five new missions for €2.99 / £2.39
Mutant Rampage (February 26) - 20 new missions for €8.99 / £7.19
Beyond Despair (March 12) - 20 new missions for €8.99 / £7.19
139?? Madness!
Beautiful, awesome madness!! :wub: