EDF 2025

Thread Owner

I always thought that people who liked that sort of game would review that sort of game. Like, you know, when the Football Manager fans write the Football Manager review. Or the FIFA fans who review FIFA.

Instead they have a narrative expert reviewing a game that's about the narrative of bullets and shrieking bugs falling from the sky. No flowery words here. Why would that person like it?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just one person's opinion who is effectively being entirely disrespectful to those who've worked on the game and the fans that love it. Swearing a bit about your review is really clever and cool kids - and saying GIANT INSECTS a lot is clearly part of a cunning narrative structure that we don't understand. We aren't smart enough.

The thing you've got to remember about games reviews and reviewers is that in 5 years these guys will be gone. Or still writing reviews that they hate. Who will care then, except them as they become more bitter that all they can do is comment and not truly create.

Where as we are left with the games, the wonderful games.

Pity the reviewers, what else do they have? Don't get angry.

I always thought that people who liked that sort of game would review that sort of game. Like, you know, when the Football Manager fans write the Football Manager review. Or the FIFA fans who review FIFA.

Instead they have a narrative expert reviewing a game that's about the narrative of bullets and shrieking bugs falling from the sky. No flowery words here. Why would that person like it?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just one person's opinion who is effectively being entirely disrespectful to those who've worked on the game and the fans that love it. Swearing a bit about your review is really clever and cool kids - and saying GIANT ANTS a lot is clearly part of a cunning narrative structure that we don't understand. We aren't smart enough.

The thing you've got to remember about games reviews and reviewers is that in 5 years these guys will be gone. Or still writing reviews that they hate. Who will care then, except them as they become more bitter that all they can do is comment and not truly create.

Where as we are left with the games, the wonderful games.

Pity the reviewers, what else do they have? Don't get angry.

Did you never read the Football Manager review IGN US did before it got pulled, a few years ago ? Basically they marked it 2/10 and the reviewer was like 'Why isn't this like Fifa ? Why are there so many menus ?' :lol:

Did you never read the Football Manager review IGN US did before it got pulled, a few years ago ? Basically they marked it 2/10 and the reviewer was like 'Why isn't this like Fifa ? Why are there so many menus ?' :lol:

If he thought that why did it get pulled? It was his opinion. Etc.

It was more the reviewer wasn't judging it on its quality but he completely misunderstood what the game was and didn't understand it in the slightest. Trying to find the full review as it was hilarious to read but can't find the full text anywhere.

Because it's like asking an uncultured buffoon like myself to review an opera. I'd give it 1/10, because why are all these people singing?

At least Edge give some reasoning behind their score, even if some of it's factually inaccurate (about the weapons, drops, levels, enemy introductions and so on, theyre pretty much wrong on all counts). I think games journalism has hit a point now (ok, maybe im slow and ive just noticed this) where factual accuracy and detailed analysis is considered irrelevant, while soundbite reviewing, edgy (no pun) prose, and polarising scores are the norm. No one will talk about their review if it says 7/10, very good game, maybe hardcore fans only. No one will notice if they play it through to the end, and have a thorough investigation of the game. Might aswell knock up a quick single page critique that is defendable if pushed, divisive enough to get some hits, and wont piss off Activision or EA.

Games mag that did it right, with ridiculously indepth analysis and frame counting? Diehard Gamefan. Modern day equivalent? Doesnt exist. There are enough gamers who like to get obsessively into a game, break it apart and analyse it. Look at Fez...how the hell people cracked those secrets, its beyond me. Why isnt there any media that serves that crowd? Because that would require some work, and paying expert writers.

This is all so poor, so disillusioning, I expected a rapturous welcome for this game. Instead it arrives to a collective sneer from a jaded games press uninterested in anything that doesnt push some pointless boundary, reinvent QTEs, or some other soundbite. Well fuck them all, EDF 2025 is my game of the entire 360/ps3 generation, containing more pure action and highs than anything else available. Your fucking loss, Edge, Eurogamer, all you pretentious and lazy reviewers out there.

Im not even joking here, ive never been so annoyed by a review in all of my life. A game that needs coverage to hit it's meagre sales targets..something that could so easily not be brought to our shores. What happens? Oh its just dumb Japanese tripe, let's feed it to a total non-expert with an agenda.

Honestly, im fucking raging. More than i've ever been outraged by anything in gaming. This could effect the next game coming out in Europe.

Eurogamer....if anyone responsible for your site is reading this...youre a total disgrace. Congrats on potentially destroying the western release of an amazing series.

Ok i need a cigarette, i swear im fucking raging now. Where's Godzooki when you need him.

Fear not Angel, Gametrailers have put up their review which is very positive about the game.

Hmm, I've had £25 sat in my Microsoft account for months so topping it up might actually work out better for me. :P The mixed opinions seem a bit concerning though...

What mixed opinions? Anyone with a brain thinks it's great. If you like 2017 then you should buy it.

I appreciate this is possibly opening myself up for Negageddon, but... I actually quite liked Cara's review. Bear in mind that I love the EDF series, and completely disagree with her, but I am always, always happy to see reviews of games given to reviewers who are not the target audience - particularly when it comes to entries in long-running series. It's far more interesting to see what a non-fan will make of a game (indeed its an approach which, if used more liberally, might help developers (say, Nintendo) to avoid their series (say, Zelda) from stagnating and becoming irrelevant).* I think the limiting of game reviews to genre/series fans is one of the worst things about games journalism (can you imagine film critics similarly limiting themselves?). It also helps that she openly links to Kieron Gillen's old review of EDF and disagrees with it - calling attention to the fact that the previous game was a) strongly praised and b) that she disagrees with it; essentially a more abrasive way of saying "If you like this thing you'll like this thing".

The valid criticism to be levelled is that Eurogamer would not normally do this, and that the one time they choose to do so they pick a niche title to do it with. Which is shit. It should be done across the board (hell, follow the old multiple-reviewer trick if you want). But the review, on its own? No problems with it. Even if I disagree with her entirely.

*I appreciate this would involve developers paying attention to critical reviews in the first place

Another valid criticism would be that someone who has no idea what EDF is would read that review and still have no idea what EDF is. Even if you think that it's an interesting social experiment to let someone review something they have absolutely no way of judging in any meaningful way, shouldn't a review at the very least be informative?

Another valid criticism would be that someone who has no idea what EDF is would read that review and still have no idea what EDF is. Even if you think that it's an interesting social experiment to let someone review something they have absolutely no way of judging in any meaningful way, shouldn't a review at the very least be informative?

I think some reviews should, certainly, but I also enjoy reviews as a reflective pastime (indeed, with films I'll usually avoid reading any reviews until after I've experienced the film itself, relying on word of mouth to determine whether I want to go and see it in the first place), where just reading about somebody's experience is what I want, not a consumer guide. I think there's space for both types of review.

The problem is, of course, the Eurogamer very much position themselves more on the 'consumer guide' side of the spectrum than the 'experiential journalism' side. So again - I don't find issue with the review itself, but with the site that it's hosted on.

But what you describe I would call a column, not a review. No matter what kind of site its hosted on. I have written similar articles myself in the past, they're fun to do. I think I once wrote about my experiences with some random MMO, a genre I passionately dislike and actively avoid. Something I don't understand the appeal of and barely know anything about, just as the writer of this EDF review on Eurogamer. I would never call it a review though, because by its very definition a review is a consumer guide. If a review doesn't say anything about the game itself, it's useless as a review even if the same piece would be entertaining when presented as some kind of column.

And no, reviews shouldn't be written by gushing fanboys either - that's just as bad. There's an ideal middle ground between those two extremes you know, and that is where the good reviewers are,

For me it's just such an easy target for that sort of review. Give the reviewer one of them 'lower budget quirky games' noone gives a shit about in their minds and let them do their thing, which is really explaining fuck all other than they apparently don't like ants. Which tells me nothing other than they really need a tumblr page or should be posting on facebook. Could you honestly see them do such drivel with a big game like say, Titanfall ?

"I don't like big robots or shooty mans games. It's got SHOOTY MAN! No interest!"

Would they by fuck. They'd get torn to shreds by the fanbase and the publishers.

I appreciate this is possibly opening myself up for Negageddon, but... I actually quite liked Cara's review. Bear in mind that I love the EDF series, and completely disagree with her, but I am always, always happy to see reviews of games given to reviewers who are not the target audience - particularly when it comes to entries in long-running series. It's far more interesting to see what a non-fan will make of a game (indeed its an approach which, if used more liberally, might help developers (say, Nintendo) to avoid their series (say, Zelda) from stagnating and becoming irrelevant).* I think the limiting of game reviews to genre/series fans is one of the worst things about games journalism (can you imagine film critics similarly limiting themselves?). It also helps that she openly links to Kieron Gillen's old review of EDF and disagrees with it - calling attention to the fact that the previous game was a) strongly praised and b) that she disagrees with it; essentially a more abrasive way of saying "If you like this thing you'll like this thing".

The valid criticism to be levelled is that Eurogamer would not normally do this, and that the one time they choose to do so they pick a niche title to do it with. Which is shit. It should be done across the board (hell, follow the old multiple-reviewer trick if you want). But the review, on its own? No problems with it. Even if I disagree with her entirely.

*I appreciate this would involve developers paying attention to critical reviews in the first place

It would be ok as a second opinion piece but as an actual review? It's the worst thing ive ever seen as actual paid journalism. Im sure the people who worked on the localisation, marketing, even the game itself were thrilled at being selected as an experimental NGJ review as opposed to ..you know, talking about the product, on a website supposedly aimed at videogame fans.

I think its just a total disservice to everyone involved in bringing out a niche title, and its probably cost them sales. I read a quote years ago that a review is basically mostly about the person more than the product itself, and i think its true here. Its an attempt to further her career as kerrazy journo, look at this mad writing style. But where are the most very basic of facts about the thing itself. The product being marked under the banner of consumer advice.

The Metro 5/10 i dont really have a problem with. Its well researched, its a proper review, they just dont like it. I can see their point on a lot of things, fair play. Ellison's text is just on a whole new level of bullshit, up there with the very worst game writing ever. At least ,in a way, its so badly written its actually garnered more attention that an 8/10 would have. But seriously, imagine if this person was grading an exam of yours. Your future in her hands. Or taking your driving test. Performing some kooky, crazy schtick while you try to do reverse parallell park, then failing you because you have brown eyes and she likes blue eyes today.

Someone in the comments said it right, something i hadnt realised...EG has no previews. All it is now is an xbox vs ps4 shitfest. Framerate counting and fanboy baiting. No one is touching them, their reputation must be so bad. Shame.