What the hell am I going to play on my PS3?

robdood

I enjoyed it despite all this, however I hated the ending, and think they took what could have been a really good conclusion in completely the wrong direction.

Supposedly the PS3 Director's Cut has a branching ending, so I'm curious as to what that entails.

Not sure why this came to me, but I'd recommend Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time. It isn't going to revolutionise the way you look at the medium but it's a really pleasant, enjoyable entry in the series that reminded me of Jet Force Gemini; thankfully it doesn't feature Tribals. I'm sure it costs a pittance these days.

Valkyria Chronicles, this is still one of my favourite games this generation. Kind of hard to recommend unless you are into strategy games, but i enjoy this far more than the recent version of XCOM.

God Of War 3 for the singleplayer and Ascension for the totally awesome multiplayer.

Motorstorm 2 or Apocalypse, The first one was the reason I bought my PS3 but the second one is a more polished version of that and the 3rd one some something quite different. It's a shame that the series hasn't been announced for the PS4 as there isn't another racer out there like it.

Infamous 1 or 2. The PS3's Crackdown though maybe not quite as good as that I think I prefer the story of 1 but 2 is a more polished game.

Modnation Racers : a rough diamond, the mechanics of the racing are really good and some of the powerups are very imaginative but you need to put up with the long loading times and iffy design.

and Uncharted 2 of course.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'm defo going to check out Heavy Rain, I'm fully prepared for it to be a bizarre-oh interactive cutscene so I think I'll be alright.

Deadly Premonition sounds awful and brilliant. Reading people's impressions reminded me of old PS2 games, the random ones I'd play over a mate's house while at uni (he was the kind of guy who pirated literally every game EVER and we'd play russian roulette with his stacks of copied games). So sounds GOOD, basically.

Hey one thing I wanted to ask; whatever happened to that Yakuza Kenzan - never got a western release, did it? Was it any good? A shame as I really liked the look of it. :(

Aye, Kenzan never got released in America, let alone here.

Man, this thread reminded me of how bloody good 3D Dot Game Heroes looks, I wonder what the prices are on that these days..

Oh, and I best throw in another suggestion - If you're into Card Games, there's Elemental Monster on PSN, and it's 99p. No, really. It's also a surprisingly solid title, even if the Online Community has died off.

Doesn't one of them have like a 90 minute "previously on Yakuza" video?

Even Yakuza 2 had a cool catch up bit at the start. You'd be fine regardless I reckon.

I'm feeling well chuffed by this thread - I bought a PS3 last year as it was cheap, and picked up what looked good, and still have Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Heroes, one of the Yakuzas (3, I think), Valkyria Chronicles, Katamari and a couple of others yet to start.

Just finished a run-through of both Ico and SoTC HD (what I bought the PS3 for, really). But that's why I love this place - all picked up on recommendations from people in here. You guys are the bestest.

Just playing through Uncharted - but 3, not 2; so 2's the one I should have gone for, then? To the purchase-o-tron!

Uncharted 3 is fun, if a bit frustrating in parts. And short. 2 is absolutely amazing.

Yeah, frustrating. One point, got to a checkpoint, only to immediately have one guy with a grenade launcher and two snipers pop up at an unreachable balcony, to be joined a short time later by two more snipers.

While at the same time, a bunch of armed thugs swarm me down below, including a couple of armoured goons with shotguns.

How have I missed 3d dot heroes! Buying now.

This thread prompted me to start that next.

It's lovely - although how the hell Ninty hasn't sued them off the planet, I don't know.

• 9 years later...
On 02/05/2013 at 23:38, smac said:

I'm feeling well chuffed by this thread - I bought a PS3 last year as it was cheap, and picked up what looked good, and still have Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Heroes, one of the Yakuzas (3, I think), Valkyria Chronicles, Katamari and a couple of others yet to start.

Just finished a run-through of both Ico and SoTC HD (what I bought the PS3 for, really). But that's why I love this place - all picked up on recommendations from people in here. You guys are the bestest.

Just playing through Uncharted - but 3, not 2; so 2's the one I should have gone for, then? To the purchase-o-tron!

Sorry for the random quote but there doesn't seem to be an actual topic for the game, which is a crime.

So yeah, this thread is about the most relevant I can find for 3D Dot Game Heroes. I've had it for years, since my PS3 took pride of place under my Panasonic PX70 in the living room. The PS3 is hooked up but hidden away in the bedroom now, still got it wired to a nice big telly though. Was messing around with a few PS2 games via my PS3 yesterday, I noticed this on my bespoke game menu* and remembered I'd never given it much of a chance, no more than thirty minutes or so. That was stupid.

It's an absolutely fantastic take on Zelda, I much prefer it to the Switch's Link's Awakening tbh. Great graphics, loads of charm and several nods to Demon's Souls and other From games. Definitely going to finish it this time, I'm already in deep.

Anyway, carry on. Bit random but the heart leads the head sometimes. Just wanted to show my appreciation for a fantastic forgotten gem. Highly recommended for Zelda fans who have the means to play it. Not sure if it's playable on the PS4/5, mind.

*Ahem, thanks Rebug.

Really enjoyed Heavy Rain on the PS3 - however depends on what type of game you enjoy. I also technically don't think its exclusive anymore (it got a PC release along with some other QD games a bit back)

On 06/05/2013 at 21:48, smac said:

This thread prompted me to start that next.

It's lovely - although how the hell Ninty hasn't sued them off the planet, I don't know.

I was confused for a minute just now, playing the Breakout mini game within 3D DH I thought "that music is familiar, it's from a Zelda game, I'm sure" Smac's post was more pertinent than I thought. How can they get away with this!

Turns out after a bit of mooching that YouTuber Scott the Wozz uses the song for his outro and that's where I'd heard it before. Doh!

3D Dot heroes completely passed me by. I've just got my PS3 back off my boys as they never used it and re-downloaded a ton of amazing games.

But just seen a review of 3D DH. How did I miss this? And no digital version, plus the disc goes for huge amounts. Gutted as I am a huge Zelda fan. I have probably every other  game in this thread, and no idea how this passed me by.

Ridge Racer 7 looks current gen even today.  60fps, 1080p, fantastic use of colour.  Also Sega Rally from that gen was awesome. The deforming floor and handling was spot on.  

Xbox 360 seemed a far superior console (once you'd bought a wifi adaptor and a hard drive addon. The PS3 always felt a bit... I don't know.  Xbox felt quicker and more responsive and fun somehow. But there's loads of great PS3 exclusives looking back.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Ridge Racer 7 looks current gen even today.  60fps, 1080p, fantastic use of colour.  Also Sega Rally from that gen was awesome. The deforming floor and handling was spot on.  

Xbox 360 seemed a far superior console (once you'd bought a wifi adaptor and a hard drive addon. The PS3 always felt a bit... I don't know.  Xbox felt quicker and more responsive and fun somehow. But there's loads of great PS3 exclusives looking back.

Think it's the way PS3 was initially pitched...it was to be a media consumption device - even had slots on the front for flash cards, blu-ray etc. Given the initial price it was a touch out of alignment of what a typical games console would traditionally cost. I think this is why it felt a bit less fun. 

The 360 on the other hand (when they worked!) was all gamer focussed from the design of the machine and the software (Xbox Live, Gamer points etc). So games first and foremost 

Which was odd the generation after as they kind of switched around! :D

The generation we have how feels like both companies have gone back to focus on the gaming bit and just being game boxes and not trying to take over the living room. Guess TVs got smart. Think this is where MSs strategy will eventually pay off...go through the TV with streaming services. For a more premium experience buy a device. 

Anyway straying off topic a bit.... PS3 got more fun when they made it a games machine again. 

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Guess TVs got smart.

It was phones that got smart, I always thought. When the PS3 was being planned the iPhone and ubiquitous fast mobile internet were just a dream, the idea that you'd have all your movies and photos and music in a device in your pocket hadn't made much inroads. It made sense you'd have all that in your living room in a "hub", hooked up to a broadband connection.

By the time you get to the PS4 it didn't make sense that your games console would be your primary media consumption device, it was clear that in five years that'd be your phone as smartphone sales were on a meteoric rise. Sony bet hard on the next PlayStation only needing to be a games console, but Microsoft wanted to "own the living room" with the Xbox One since that was Bill Gates' vision for the Xbox, but that ship had sailed, by the time the Xbox One was at a massmarket price the big TV in the living room was for your Dad to watch NFL on.

On 30/04/2013 at 12:27, Shimmyhill said:

Everybodys golf, wipeout HD and GT5 are the only games i miss not having a PS3.

9 years later and all the games have better versions on machines with not the worst pad in the history of gaming - thank god there is no need to ever lay eyes on a PS3 ever again!

3D Dot Game Heroes is the only game I’ve ever purchased from CEX to get lost in the post. If you buy from CEX online it’s Russian Roulette as to the condition of the game, and whether you will receive a manual etc. Anyhow it got lost, and per their website when I raised a request for a refund they had no copies in stock, so I simply expected a refund. Much to my surprise they sent me an actual copy in near perfect condition. I still haven’t played it.