not sure if there's a topic on this. it's a six episode series produced by the Sundance Channel about a man released from death row after 20 years once DNA evidence changes the case against him. I watched all six last night; it has a lovely soundtrack and very calm, sober tone. It reminds me a little of Six Feet Under (though less accomplished) and has a compelling leading man who pretty convincingly portrays what you'd expect to see from a man deprived of life for twenty years and thrust back into it.

good! guys, i realise this is not a highly publicised event in television and i only know of it because it's one of the highest rated new shows on Metacritic, but seriously download an episode. it's a lovely, thoughtful show.

The show creator is Ray McKinnon who played the Reverend in Deadwood. There are only six episodes in this first season, but a ten episode second season has already been ordered. Be interesting to see where it goes, beyond the main whodunnit plot. It would be quite bold if he was in some way guilty, despite the DNA evidence.

What's the deal with this Sundance channel? It seems to be like AMC (and owned by them), branching out from films into original programming. Their other recent show 'Top of the Lake' starring Elizabeth 'Mad Men' Moss also seems to be highly rated on Metacritic. Anyone seen it?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this on iTunes, and have watched the first two episodes. It's good stuff so far.

Shame there's only six episodes though, I'm really on the lookout for a new series to get my teeth into.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the last episode. Brilliant series. The acting in this is stellar and its incredibly absorbing. Intelligent, thought provoking and it didn't outstay its welcome.

I didn't understand the 'coffee granules' bit at the start of the last episode though.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good article. But a lot of what the author mentions as strengths are the parts I don’t like. Spoilers up to 2x4.

I appreciate the show is a slow burner but this is slooooooow to the point of stopping. A little bit of plot wouldn’t hurt it. There was a joke about Treme when it was on that the ‘next week on Treme’ preview would be an empty screen, because nothing ever happened. You could say the same for Rectify. I know it’s all about character and mood and performance and photography but some story would be good as well. And the sub-plot with Teddy and the tire shop – shoot me in the head, that’s boring.

That probably sounds like I don’t like the show but I bloody love it. The acting from all the leads is incredible, Danial, Kerwin (*sniff*) and Amantha especially. And all the scenes with Danial and Kerwins mother and brother were beautiful.

Excellent show.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really digging season 2 of this. Feels like it was planned as a one (short) season show and they are now making it up as they go along. Stellar acting still but it's meandering to an obvious, unsatisfying conclusion. It's a shame as the original concept was great and you could see how it could be fleshed out but this isn't it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought this would be getting a lot more attention on here, it's superb. The slow-burning pace and sense of anxiety/dread/longing/confusion is just brilliantly portrayed by all of the actors. Some genuinely shattering scenes that will leave you gasping for air. Beautiful photography and soundtrack, dense with atmosphere and complex character studies.

Best thing I've seen for years and easily up there with the recent greats of American TV.

Reminder both seasons are on Netflix Canada. I'm currently enjoying season 2.

It is a slow paced show but I'm enjoying seeing the various characters evolve over time & the main plot line slowly being revealed.

Some great acting from the main leads, if you have the time I would recommend watching the first few episodes of season 1 & then you'll get hooked to enjoy the rest.

Hope it's been renewed for another season

An interesting one, this. I've watched two episodes and can't do any more just because it makes me so tense and uncomfortable. It's strange because the buddhist ideal of stillness and mindfulness is one I've always aspired to, but Young plays Daniel in exactly that way and it makes the character as unbearable as he is intriguing to be around. He occupies this unknown void which his family keep skirting and probing, and his refusal to take part in obfuscation when it comes to his feelings or desires is as admirable as it is unnerving - case in point where he just flat out says to Ted "Do you play games, Ted?", deflating the guy's passive aggressive nonsense in a way that you wanted to see happen, but when it does you feel as lost and vulnerable as Ted.

It reminds me of Ben Kingsley's character in Sexy Beast, even though they seem like polar opposites. One is subdued and still whereas the other is a seething mass of rage but you can't rely on either to play by society's rules, you don't know what they're capable of from one moment to the next.

• 10 months later...