The best Capcom games ever!

strider

I'd have to put RE 1 and 2 into that. Believe it or not I still haven't played RE4 or any of the GC versions yet.

Street Fighter 2 and 3 of course. Super Ghouls and Ghosts (only one I've actually played). Final FIght. Cannon Spike, UN Squadron. Megaman Legends (again I haven't played any proper MM games aside from 2 on the GB years ago). Gunbird is also cool but pretty difficult.

A couple of these I think were developed by other people tho like Psikyo.

I'm amazed that there's anyone out there who found the Dreamcast pad more comfortable than the Gamecube's. The thing gave me reliable wrist ache after a couple of hours gameplay pretty much every time, to say nothing of the thumb-murdering D-pad.

Oh God, that D-pad. Anything that required rotations was a no-go, Tony Hawk's 2 was a blister machine.

I'd have to put RE 1 and 2 into that. Believe it or not I still haven't played RE4 or any of the GC versions yet.

You MUST play the Remake then. Seriously, it's a revelation.. Aha! Sorry, no pun intended it's amazing.

Oh God, that D-pad. Anything that required rotations was a no-go, Tony Hawk's 2 was a blister machine.

Bloody poncey gamers and their uncalloused digits. My Hugo was a beast, 630°* motions on the d-pad à go-go! Those sharp corners made me the man I am today ;)

*not a typo - 270° and 630° rotations were his standard, rather than the more common 360° and 720°

Noob question; what magazine is this in regards to?

Anyways, my top 10:

1. Resident Evil 4 - 10

2. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - 9

3. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - 8

4. Final Fight - 7

5. Super Street Fighter II - 6

6. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages - 5

7. DuckTales - 4

8. Strider - 3

9. Mega Man 2 - 2

10. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - 1

More of a ten I've enjoyed the most in my lifetime, rather than any objective thing (by all accounts Final Fight is a bit crap these days, but it was GOLDEN in my youth). No particular order, brackets denote which platform I played the hell out of them on.

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney (DS)

Ghost Trick (DS)

Strider (CPS, Amiga, Megadrive)

Final Fight (CPS)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)

Puzzle Fighter (PSX)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PSX)

Ghouls & Ghosts (Megadrive)

Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

Resident Evil (Gamecube)

Honourable mentions to Gargoyle's Quest on the GB, Knights of the Round on CPS, and The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse on the SNES.

Must pick up Zack & Wiki at some point. Bewildered by the love for Minish Cap, which while beautiful, was a pretty mediocre Zelda game, and had some bugs, player traps and unfinished stinkiness.

Oh wait - I'll tell you the best two Capcom games.

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Not only are they the best Capcom games, but they're also the best Zelda games :)

I'd have put Killer 7 on that list if it had, in conclusion, made any kind of sense at all. I really enjoyed the gameplay and atmosphere, but the plot was an unholy mess.

This was not "complex, takes a few viewings to understand", but rather "confused, has vast gaping holes which are only answered by reading excerpts of Japan-only making-of books, which even then don't adequately explain things and contradict some of the in-game plot".

But I loved that control scheme, so easy to achieve a sense of flow.

Fire Ring howls!

Knights of the Round (Honorable Mention)

My top 10 (in no particular order)

Viewtiful Joe

Final Fight

UN Squadron

Resi 4

Super Ghouls N Ghosts

Ghouls N Ghosts

Mega Man X

Mega Man 1

Street Fighter 2 Turbo : Hyper Fighting

Mega Man 2

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - 10

I've never put so many hours into one game. This last iteration is the best so far, with a ridiculously full roster of fighters and utterly sublime balance. It rewards smart, patient play better than any other fighter out there, and has so much depth it's in danger of being burnt by the earth's molten core. It's such a good game, I enjoy watching it being played almost as much as I enjoy playing it.

Resident Evil 2 - 9

I'm not quite sure what this game is doing quite so high on my list. It's clearly inferior to Resident Evil 4, for a start. Well, this gets high marks for sheer nostalgia value. It's a game my friends and I would play every summer, passing the controller, one of us with the guide in hand, trying to unlock Tofu. One of us was a little less skilled than the rest, so we never did unlock the ridiculous character, but we were always close, and it never stopped us from trying one more time. In the process we all knew the entire script of the game off by heart. All our in-jokes were Resi 2 jokes. We put samples in the music we made. Magnificent.

Okami - 8

Just a sublime game. Stunningly beautiful, with lovely satisfying combat mechanics (like a lite Devil May Cry), and a rich world to explore.

MegaMan Zero - 7

Probably a bit of an esoteric choice, but I think this series represents Capcom (well, Inticreates) at some of their arcadey best. I think the third in the series is probably the better game, but this is the one I spent the most time on in my youth, honing my skill, getting S Ranks on each level. The controls are actually perfect, and especially satisfying when played on the sublime GBA dpad and buttons, giving the player an incredible amount of scope for precision and ridiculously stylish play. The dash is one of the most satisfying to use in the whole of gaming, god I loved those GBA shoulder buttons. Also, great music, and oodles of style as the enemies slid in half with a satisfying spurt of "oil" (in the Japanese version anyway) when you finished them off with your sword. Also probably my favourite bosses in all of gaming, since they were tough, but fair, and dodging attacks was always amazing fun, especially when the screen filled up with projectiles, and you had to slide out the way as the frame rate started to chug a little, in split seconds of Jon Woo style glory.

Street Fighter III: Third Strike - 6

This is the game that inspired me to seriously get into fighting games. I had always liked Street Fighter 2, even playing the shitty Amiga version at my mate's house as a child, and then later, sadly playing Alpha 3 a tonne on PSP and GBA against the CPU. I even bought a PS3 Hori stick back in 2007 in order to play 3S on an emulator, over a year before I even had a PS3 because of a post in these very retro forums saying they worked on macs with little trouble. Well, it never worked for me back then, (I know it's not hard to get a stick working on OS X these days though), but still that didn't deter me. I played 3S for a good year on pad, before I spent some time in Japan, and found a few friends who liked going to arcades, which happened to be pretty soon after the release of Street Fighter IV...

Resident Evil 4 - 5

Still the king of set-piece driven action shooters. A perfect rollercoaster of a game, every chapter a uniquely interesting and fun rise or fall.

killer7 - 4

I'm not really sure why I like this so much, unlike most of my other Capcom favourites, the gameplay in this is definitely its weakest aspect. But this gets by on just being fucking cool. The barely-comprehensible geopolitical / supernatural plot - cool. The unique graphical style -cool. The ridiculous character designs and animations - cool. The incredible soundtrack - FUCKING COOL AS FUCK. As interesting as some of his games have been, Suda51 is still yet to surpass this milestone I think.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 3

Inspirational translation work by Alexander O Smith, and just a really fun, funny and endearing game. Once again I think the third in the series is probably the better game overall, but it's hard not to plump for the one that started it all.

Devil May Cry - 2

The pre-Bayonetta pinnacle of stylish action. I liked the original (and skipped 2), but this one really perfected the idea and allowed so much personality to be injected into the gameplay with its symbiotic weapon and class systems.

Monster Hunter Tri - 1

This is just a case of "I've had really rad times playing a tonne of this game with people off the forum". While I was in its clutches, it was one of the most compelling co-op experiences I've had. I'm still waiting for a proper HD Monster Hunter with good online, Capcom!

EDIT: Oops, I had two three point games. Whoops. Oh well, here's the 11th game on my list anyway.

MegaMan X4 - 0

Not the best Megaman, but it holds a dear place in my heart as it kickstarted my interest in the series, which, though largely dead now, provided me with hours of entertainment in my teens. Lots of cool hidden secrets in each level, good boss design, and hilariously bad anime cutscenes; what's not to love?

killer7 - 4

I'm not really sure why I like this so much, unlike most of my other Capcom favourites, the gameplay in this is definitely its weakest aspect. But this gets by on just being fucking cool. The barely-comprehensible geopolitical / supernatural plot - cool. The unique graphical style -cool. The ridiculous character designs and animations - cool. The incredible soundtrack - FUCKING COOL AS FUCK. As interesting as some of his games have been, Suda51 is still yet to surpass this milestone I think.

Seems like a lot of people here are forgetting that Killer 7 is first and foremost a Suda 51/Grasshopper game. Sure, Shinji Mikami had a hand in the story, but most of the work was done by the team at Grasshopper. Capcom did publish it though.

Picking only 10 Capcom games is tough!

I'm going for just one title from a series, other wise the whole top ten could be taken up with Resident Evils and Street Fighters.

Resident Evil - 10 (2 and 4 were also tempting to include, but 1 is classic and pretty much reinvigorated the whole Zombie genre in games and films)

Street Fighter II - 9 (I cant think of an arcade game that has had such an impact on gaming since)

Ghouls n Ghosts - 8 (oh Arthur, you forgot to get the magic thing, go back and do it again.)

Strider- 7 (who doesnt love Strider ?)

Dead Rising- 6 (The save system is a bastard, but thats the point ! you have to make decisions and people will die.)

Forgotten Worlds -5 ( You cannot stop me with paramecium alone)

Side Arms -4 (Combine ! )

UN Squadron -3 (Was a tough choice between this and Carrier Airwing, but this game got me into the Area 88 manga and anime so wins)

Marvel Vs Capcom2 -2 (Only the Dreamcast version though)

Lost Planet -1 ( The single player was good, the multi player was ok, but then it all went down the pan in lost planet 2)

Capcom are still great,despite miss-fires like RE6. they havent really cracked multiplayer yet, I'm hoping they can nail it for the next gen.

You know I never owned the original Strider on the Megadrive though I definitely played it, maybe on rental or something. Probably only saw about half the game yet I still put it ahead of loads of other amazing stuff on my list purely because it just seemed so fucking cool. Sometimes that's all it takes I guess? I mean even the box art coudn't fuck it up.

strider-cover.jpg

Speaking of Strider, any opinions on the PSOne version? Of the very little I played of it I thought it was great, but it was only about 15 minutes in total I played.

Also I'd put Street Fighter Alpha 3 Dreamcast Edition in this list, since World Tour mode was amazing. And possibly Resi 5 for Mercs Reunited.

Thinking back myself and a certain other forumite were pretty obsessed with the intro and inter-level Japlish of games like Dynasty Wars, UN Squadron, Strider and Forgotten Worlds.

To the extent that we graffitied a local bridge with Forgotten World quotes and had a ritual dance that had to be completed before every game of Last Duel.

I cant remember the full dance but it ended with hitting your head against your joystick.