rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vemsie

New Shadow Warrior - Out Now!

Unfortunately I would have preferred a sequel to the Shadow Warrior dood posted (lampost swinging and wall run backflips were mind blowing at the time) but the Lo Wang game(s? I seem to remember a sequel) was actually quite good too, in a silly B-movie Duke Nukem 3D type way.

For all the FPS's we get , there were a lot more interesting ones in the late 90's like this one, that Lucasarts cowboy one (Outlands? can't remember) and another one that used the same engine as this. As well as Hexen and all that stuff too. Bollocks to all the gruff soldiers I say!

YESSSSSS

I loved Shadow Warrior. It was basically a Japanese Duke Nukem 3D.

For all the FPS's we get , there were a lot more interesting ones in the late 90's like this one, that Lucasarts cowboy one (Outlands? can't remember)

Outlaws, yeah. Atmospheric as fuck.

And Blood was creepy beyond belief.

Outlaws, yeah. Atmospheric as fuck.

And Blood was creepy beyond belief.

That was it, Blood! Well remembered sir. Not a great 'game' if I remember but suitably weird that I think I finished it...

One thing I loved with Outlaws was that you could shoot blokes out a window, it was no doubt triggered but these days even with ragdoll physics etc, you rarely get such a satisfying thing as shooting someone so that they flew out a window. Just maybe a nice tumble down some stairs or something.

They said on their Facebook that they're definitely retaining the humour. They called someone a grasshopper for doubting.

My worry is that this won't have the original's non-linear, super explore-athon levels that actually felt like places, but have your usual A to B spectacle romp instead. Please no.

Im willing to have faith for this. I so enjoyed the 3D Realm game, one of those endlessly replayable games you just cant bring yourself to part with.

I wonder if they can get the original voice actor in for this :D

Article on Penny Arcade about the reboot -

Shadow Warrior reboot keeps setting and katana, ditches sexism, racism, and MP

I know they're stuck between a rock and a hard place but I hope they don't water down the actual Lo Wang character too much. Hell the whole point of Shadow Warrior was to make fun of very non PC HK films. It's a shame Wang Bang has been removed as well :(

Original Shadow Warrior now free on Steam.

Full story here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/30/a-slash-from-the-past-shadow-warrior-free-on-steam/#more-154873

“This morning we launched a promotion on Facebook where fans of Shadow Warrior could like the new Facebook page and receive a Steam key for Shadow Warrior Classic, the original version of the game, for free. As luck would have it some folks were able to sidestep some of the security and download the Steam keys we had set aside for this promotion – all 50,000 of them. Whoops.”

Fans, meanwhile, weren’t terribly pleased, and “free” keys had their price tags surgically reattached in the Internet’s seedier back alleys. Devolver, then, saw only one way to circumvent certain catastrophe: make Shadow Warrior free until the ocean swallows the Earth and a black hole sucks up the galaxy like screaming spaghetti. Or, you know, until they don’t have the license anymore.

• Upvote 1

A bit annoying how every sword kill spawns a Helvetica (or whatever standard font) display of "SHREDDED!" but the theory behind this is promising to me.

I really want to know if the levels are less DNF go from A to B and more like the original Shadow Warrior. I'm a bit worried.

That healing mechanic sounds VERY interesting, enraging enemies and all.

After all their 'retro appeal' speak I'd have preferred straight up health kits. In Shadow Warrior you had two options - health pickups or using the portable medicine box (or a third, uh, level specific one involving sexually assaulting a semi-naked 'anime babe'). Enraging the enemies sounds extremely forced and mechanic-y. It sounds explotaibly bad if they handle it off, especially when trying to balance it with the other healing options they mentioned. What, so you're low on health and when you heal the enemies rush you? Okay...

Err guys this is completely fucking awesome (and lengthy too)! It's got so many great PC throwback moments (Half-Life 1 sequence anyone?) all while putting other triple-A efforts to shame (looking at you CoD and perhaps even Battlefield) Add in lovely satisfying gunplay, diverse weaponry. an upgrade system/skill tree, secret collectibles, hidden areas (completely rendered in Build Engine graphics and sprites) and lots of demons to shoot and you've got yourself one hell of a fun-singleplayer-shooty-romp. What's not to like?! Well the writing is a bit hit or miss at times but at least it's not taking itself too serious for it to be bothersome.

Please buy and play this because SW is severely under-appreciated. It's taken everything from the golden era of PC gaming and put a modern spin on it. Actually come to think of it, this is what the new Duke Nukem should've been.

Also a quote by George Carlin and Pulp Fiction references make SW's street cred legit yo.