Why Tomb Raider's killed gaming for me

dumpster

There's a reason indie games are booming at the moment while all the blockbusters are failing to reach sales targets. Play some cool indie games and your love will return. PC is the best place to look but there's loads of interesting stuff on PSN I believe. You will absolutely find lots of things that are to your taste.

I thought Tomb Raider was quite good but the big blockbuster releases have been of a fairly poor quality overall for the last year or so. They're the video game equivalents of Michael Bay films, and mostly deserve the same lack of attention.

I'm currently playing it right now and my only problem with it is how absurd it is. Lara's taken enough punishment to kill a rugby player 10 times over and they really should have dialled it back a bit. I'm not talking about being shot more the punishment the cutscenes put her through.

I'm surprised Deadly Premonition is your favourite game because the actual gameplay in that title was torture. The stories fantastic and I did love it though, but knowing how it all plays out I'd never play through it again, it's fucking atrocious and about as far removed from RE4 / old school games as you could get :P

try playing something like Far Cry Blood Dragon or Binary Domain, games that aren't afraid to be videogamey and are loads of fun. FCBD is my GOTY and I'd much rather play it over something like Bioshock Infinite which was just relentlessly bleak looking back.

PS have a playthrough of Terminator on the Mega CD, imagine an easy but visually pleasing contra clone with some of the best music from the 16bit era and you're away, it's the only proper Mega CD game I kept when i got rid of my collection.

I enjoyed tomb raider, the combat was great it looked fantastic, but have to agree some of the controls or rather lack of them annoyed me, especially the cave movement which was always the same and you knew nothing would be different. It's a shame as the vertigo set piece on the radio transmitter, made me woozy it felt so high. But you never felt like you would fall.

I can see why they did it, Uncharted set the benchmark, and Tomb Raiders of the past had horrible controls, but it's a fine line between control and automation in these games and once the risk has been removed so is the reward.

ha. i bought Deadly Premonition on PS3 the other day and only got about 40 minutes in. i want to love it, and i do in a way, but it's actually too weird. i bought it to play stoned obviously, but it's so consciously and deliberately surreal and confusing i just lost interest. sort of like trying to watch Inland Empire stoned; it doesn't really work. demands sobriety to process the weirdness rather than have it wash over you like a geyser of piss.

ha. i bought Deadly Premonition on PS3 the other day and only got about 40 minutes in. i want to love it, and i do in a way, but it's actually too weird. i bought it to play stoned obviously, but it's so consciously and deliberately surreal and confusing i just lost interest. sort of like trying to watch Inland Empire stoned; it doesn't really work. demands sobriety to process the weirdness rather than have it wash over you like a geyser of piss.

I couldn't get into it either, whether sober or intoxicated. It's just too ugly and it plays like a wet fart.

I will always love the Uncharted games, and will maintain that they give you way more gameplay than some people give it credit for, but last year there were very few AAA games that grabbed me. Payne 3 was an obvious exception, I completed it multiple times on all the major difficulties. Lots of cut-scenes for sure, but fantastic gunplay and presentation as well. Apart from that I was mostly into games like Velocity and Super Hexagon.

This year is much better so far. Rising was excellent and shows the Japanese still have action gaming in their DNA, I was well and truly gripped by Infinite, Blood Dragon was great fun and there are all sorts of smaller gems, ranging from Year Walk and Guacamelee to the recently released iOS crack Infinite Road.

If GTA V and The Last of Us live up to their potential and the new 3D Mario and Wonderful 101 come out this year, we don't even need next-gen to make this one of the better years in gaming, as there is a wealth of great games on the handhelds as well.

I've been playing nothing but Persona 4 Golden for weeks now, apart from some short sessions of FTL or other quirky quick to play games. When that's done, I still have some quality gaming ahead on Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS, on top of Luigi's Mansion 2, Castlevania, Paper Mario and the upcoming Animal Crossing. The handhelds is where it goes down now.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games I ever played, so how come I got so bored with Resi 6 that I turned it off for ever, 4 hours in? Yet, I recently downloaded a HD patch for the PC Resi4, and played it to completion over the space of a week?

Off-topic I know but where do I find this HD mod & is it easy to implement? Also will I be able to play the game with a Windows X360 controller?

Would love to buy a PC copy of this and re-visit this classic in HD.

Deadly Premonition needs a good couple of hours play before it becomes the GREATEST GAME IN HISTORY.

The Resident Evil 4 HD mod was something I stumbled across by googling. It's dead easy, you just install your game from the original CD, download the (1.3Gb if I remember) patch, then just drag and drop and let it overwrite the original files with your new ones. I'll see if I can find the exact link but it was ages ago. I could maybe rar it up and pm you a link.

I just experienced the new TR for the first time two days ago on a friends dual 670 SLI rig, and I have to agree it is shockingly good looking (especially at 1080p/60 with Ultra settings), but after getting over the initial visual "wow" factor, I was disappointed by the incredible lack of actual gameplay.

I also played the GOW 3 demo, and though I found the testosterone drenched action and cinematics a bit more my speed, it seemed to be somewhat of an unrefined button mash-fest to me. Too much shit happening on screen, you just mash buttons and hope you kill something. Although I found it much better than TR, gameplay wise it was still lacking a bit in comparison to retro games such as Contra 3 like you pointed out.

You compared TR to RE4, but lets be real, that game was 95% gameplay and 5% (at most) QTE cut scenes. It was actually fun to play, AND it looked incredible. Best of both worlds.

Its true that MANY of todays games are too much fluff and not enough substance, but not all of them. Someone pointed out Super Mario 3D Land, which is an excellent example of gameplay over flashy fluff. This is why Nintendo is still relevant - just like they always have, they make charming games that are actually fun to play--which is sadly, almost a novel concept these days.

I tend to agree with some other posts that big budget games of today are almost all too much fluff/not enough substance. Gamers who appreciate real gameplay need to look to indie developers / or games flying under the radar to find decent playing games these days. Nintendo's own games, though many complain are too re-hashed, always offer gameplay over fluff, so naturally they are a top choice as well. Retro games in general for me though, cant be beat...

Moz and Timmo already basically posted this in fewer words, but:

Games have only ever been good when they required time and effort from you, it's just that you used to happily put that effort in when you were a kid and you didn't have to worry about how much time it was taking you to get through something. Stop worrying how much time it's going to take and just pick a hard game to play, then play it until you're good at it. It's unlikely that you'll regret having missed out on the ninth Tomb Raider game as a result.

TR was an enjoyable game but its a linear 3rd person cinematic shooter. Its pretty much A to B and watch the pretty scripted setpieces. Its how alot of games are and complaining about it is a bit like complaining about yearly CoD/Fifa updates, its just how some games are. Letting it put you off gaming entirely is a bit silly.

Theres plenty of non-linear, left field stuff out there to enjoy. Dishonored might not be prefect, but its a big budget game that doesnt rely on spectacle to impress the player. And shooters like Stalker are open world games that dont treat the player like a brain dead mong only capable of appreciating gigantic explosions and setpieces.