Why Tomb Raider's killed gaming for me

dumpster

Probably a little bit more than 20yrs for me............anyway here are some games i loved.

Big Mac - the Mad Maintenance Man

Spectipede

Kikstart

Outrun

Afterburner

World Soccer

Shinobi

Ys the Vanished Omens

I played these as a kid and they really fired my imagination. They didn't (because they couldn't) try to be realistic. You had 1 button and a stick or 2 buttons and a stick. The tech limited what could be done. They focused purely on being out and out fun games and they were all the better for it. Take Ys for example.........there was this big world to explore, you felt like you were going on an adventure, but at no point did it feel realistic, even as a young kid. So at no point did i think, "hey what if i try climbing this tree, or jump over this fence, or climb up this cliff" etc.

Now though, games have these incredibly complex and realistic looking worlds but, you still can't climb that tree, jump over that fence, or climb up that cliff, which feels 10X more frustrating and limiting because the games are usually aiming for ultimate gritty realism.

Some games have lived up to my expectations - Trials, Pro Evo, OOT, Mario 64, TR, Ridge Racer, FF7, Silent Hill etc. The problem is, not much is now living up to those games!

lol... 20 years is 20 years. I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to your thought that 20 years ago, many peoples visions of how games would be 20 years in future were probably much grander than what actually came to pass. As far as how long I've been gaming, my first system was a second-hand Atari 2600 (VCS) with a shit pile of used games. The year was 1984 and I was 5 years old. I didnt even know it existed, my parents just brought a big box home one day with it, and the rest is history!!

I fully agree with how great the games are that you mentioned, let alone many of the all time greats for the 8 and 16 bit systems. A lot of people get their panties in a bunch when its pointed out, but it seems that many of todays games lack a certain something (heart and soul?) that these greats did. Maybe its exactly what you are getting at, the graphics of todays games leave very little for the imagination (unlike games of old), yet the gameplay or freedom that you would expect in such a realistic, grand looking game just doesnt even come close to matching the visuals-- which makes the games seem, how should I put it, a bit hollow?

That Resi4 mod is here:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=1631

I haven't played the Xbox Live Arcade version, but people have told me this mod is better. If not, I'll but the Xbox version!

Links are dead but I found active links here:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=21306

Extract with Zzip after.

Probably a little bit more than 20yrs for me............anyway here are some games i loved.

Big Mac - the Mad Maintenance Man

Spectipede

Kikstart

Outrun

Afterburner

World Soccer

Shinobi

Ys the Vanished Omens

Spectipede was the first game I ever bought, for the Electron. You could hit escape during the game the type LIST, to list the entire game code. Save it to another tape if you wanted. Are you reading this EA?

lol... 20 years is 20 years. I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to your thought that 20 years ago, many peoples visions of how games would be 20 years in future were probably much grander than what actually came to pass. As far as how long I've been gaming, my first system was a second-hand Atari 2600 (VCS) with a shit pile of used games. The year was 1984 and I was 5 years old. I didnt even know it existed, my parents just brought a big box home one day with it, and the rest is history!!

I fully agree with how great the games are that you mentioned, let alone many of the all time greats for the 8 and 16 bit systems. A lot of people get their panties in a bunch when its pointed out, but it seems that many of todays games lack a certain something (heart and soul?) that these greats did. Maybe its exactly what you are getting at, the graphics of todays games leave very little for the imagination (unlike games of old), yet the gameplay or freedom that you would expect in such a realistic, grand looking game just doesnt even come close to matching the visuals-- which makes the games seem, how should I put it, a bit hollow?

Cool! Put it this way, did you see that new driving game for PS4 being announced? They were banging on about Fabric Maps or some shit. The inside of the cars will actually have virtual Leather, that actually looks and behaves like real actual Leather. Thing is, im not actually bothered, because its actually fucking pointless! They were also on about how the engines will be true to life, with every single part, accurately modelled to its real world specification. YIPPEE!!! This is where games are now at - 100% accurately modelled Leather.

Spectipede was the first game I ever bought, for the Electron. You could hit escape during the game the type LIST, to list the entire game code. Save it to another tape if you wanted. Are you reading this EA?

I thought i was the only person to have ever played Spectipede! Hi-five! I had it on the C-16. Quality game! Those were the days - run return, press play on tape, go and have your tea while the game loads, only to get a Syntax Error! Beach Head, Scramble, Megabolts, Hektic, Way of the Exploding Fist, Mastertronic Compilations, spending hrs typing out lines of random shit to make your machine go "WUP WUP WUP WUP WUP PERNOOOOOOOOOOOWWW", and of course the legendary Rolf Harris' Picture Builder! They don't make them like that anymore! ;)

I was going to make a topic called 'Fez has ruined gaming for me'.

Here's the only advice I have: Take a back seat from gaming. Keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground, and when something truly extraordinary turns up, dive in and hammer it. There have been a few spot-on suggestions in this thread.

For the rest of the time... do something else. Go outside, as I once read somewhere.