The Fall on BBC2 - starring Gillian Anderson

sandman

Did anyone else catch this? I thought it was an excellent opener. Very well made if a little predictable.

Anderson plays a met detective that is brought into review an unsolved murder case in Belfast. Its a five parter and I preferred it to the Hannibal opener (which was also excellent).

Good to see another follower of British crime drama, too much US show chat here imo..

This was a very well put together opening episode. Boths leads are excellent and there's a nice pace to it. Some interesting dialogue too, with Andersons character in particular being quite spiky and strong.

Might as well give another shout out to Endeavour for anyone that hasn't seen it. Bloody marvelous. 'Restless' which was on around Xmas was very good too, might be able to still pick it up on the iplayer.

No probs!

I think British drama has been getting better for the last couple of years. Probably started with Sherlock. Yet a lot of people aren't noticing as they watch American drama and think that all British stuff is like Eastenders.

Did anyone watch that suspicions of mr Whitcher thing? Supposed to be excellent.

How is this (all five episodes) already on US Netflix?

You're right, it is! I've just watched the third episode on iPlayer, and was eager to see the next one. Thanks for the heads up! Must've already been broadcast in the US then? Or do the BBC flog the licence abroad before the show's even aired here, thinking most people aren't tech savvy enough to see it via Netflix and unblock-us?

As for the show itself, anyone think the serial killer looks like Henry Cavill, when in bearded fisherman mode? Also, it seems to be full of all the Irish actors who used to be in Hollyoaks.

Is it only me that thinks that's a bit shit, it being on Netflix already? I suppose I can understand if the BBC has only had a minor role in it but I thought it was a pretty major drama for them? Hence a likely large creative and financial amount of input from a publicly funded service..

A bit off topic but the full series of 'Top of the Lake' is also on US Netflix and thats not being shown on BBC2 until July I think.

Its quite good.

Me and Mrs Multi are planning on watching the rest of the Fall on Netflix tonight. I don't see anything shit about being able to do that?

I watched all this over the last few nights. It's pretty good, though I found Stella too inaccessible and a bit too much of an island. I'd like to see a second series where we find out a bit more about her, not to mention resolve some of the cliffhangers.

Gillian Anderson must have thought she'd won the lottery when she read this script, what a part! Probably on the phone immediately to her agent and said "Tell them I accept!" Such a fantastically well written and complex character, wonderful.

I hope next weeks final part is as good as the last four.

This is definitely one of the most gripping shows I've seen recently. Some of the scenes with the murderer skulking around inside the victims' houses before the kills are edge-of-your-seat stuff...

• 5 weeks later...

Watched all five episodes this weekend, it was excellent. Very slow but the atmosphere was incredible. Not sure how they can stretch the same case(s) out over another series but I'm looking forward to it already.

An increase in the number of actors from Hollyoaks and Game of Thrones would be most entertaining, but I could do without Chief Inspector Cantona.

• 1 year later...

Missed this first time around but caught the first episode last night, thought it was excellent. Not reading any of the posts above for fear of spoilers so apologies if I'm just repeating what others have said.

I like the 'Columbo' approach to the crime, where we know who it is straight away. The killer's organisation, double life and hunting methods are suitable creepy. Wondering what's caused his fixation with straight-haired brunettes. Fearful for the babysitter but she may be too close to home to become a target.

Anderson's not had a lot to do so far other than look amazing and sound amazing, though it's nice to see a professional woman portrayed in a manner other than a bitch. My wife practically gave her a standing ovation when she casually propositioned the detective at the scene of the shooting, again, a refreshing turn of events that's rarely - if ever - shown in TV dramas.

Between this and'The Knick' it's a good time for compelling TV. 'American Horror Story' is still on deck too, for when something a bit sillier is needed.