The Fall on BBC2 - starring Gillian Anderson

sandman

• 1 month later...

Yeah I think it's already been mentioned by Anderson. Or at the very least strongly hinted.

I've been a bit disappointed so far personally. I think it's glaringly obvious (pacing, shot selection/decision making, even editing) that the Cubit isn't a patch on the originals director. Another example of someone getting too much power and over reaching themselves.

The last episode was by far the best of the season though, imo. Nicely setup for a showdown of some sort. Let's hope it's handled well with a decent resolution.

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I enjoyed the second season more than the first. It just seemed to grab my attention a bit more all round.

The final episode had plenty of tension, although the final scenes were a little predictable. We got lost in it enough that we didn't realise that the episode had been an hour and a half until it finished and we noticed it was half past ten!

The last episode was fucking awful.

We spent what felt like an eternity talking to Paul but with no revelations about his young life, Jimmy finds his wife in a totally contrived way, Katy's story is unresolved. It feels like the writer's just hadn't got an ending ready.

Didn't feel to me at all like it justified the extended running time and just ended up a bit of a mess.

Anderson was still great of course.

Was episode 6 the final one? If so...

Can't believe they ended it on that cliffhanger and are going to string it out for another season. Very American. Is Spector going to be alive? Some sort of Hannibal Lector character stuck in a cell? Or is he going to escape? I hope it's none of those to be honest. Should have ended with two seasons.

It really shouldn't continue the same plot at this point, rather new investigations with the same characters etc. Every possible detail has been fleshed out with the current story (which I actually didn't expect, mind you), not interested.

Also someone could probably make a drinking game out of every time Gillian says 'It's an addiction' in particular episodes.

I loved the second season, although Gillian's 90s action movie scene at the end was so completely at odds with her character and her skills as an actress that it put a bit of a downer on it.

The interrogation was so fucking good though. Incredibly well acted, beautifully shot. I actually put iplayer back a few minutes so I could watch it again.

Having missed this when it was on TV, I watched both series on DVD over Christmas. Overall it was excellent, but the ending was a let down - not inconclusive, but just abrupt and a poor conclusion. While there's the possibility that the story may continue beyond this, it seemed an odd way to go out as there's seemingly very little more (that's apparent at least) that might be said in the main storyline.

The other thing that was strange was the way there was a second arc running in the first series with the dodgy business dealings and moonlighting police officers, but which had little connection with the rest of the events and didn't really go anywhere. There were ties to the main murder storyline in that it involved the estranged husband of one of the victims, and the senior police officer was clearly involved in covering up some of the shady goings on, but otherwise it didn't seem to lead anywhere of add anything significant to the story.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There have been two shows recently which had completely passed me by, but have turned out to be unexpected surprises for me and complete revelations. The first was Fargo which I was a bit apprehensive about (I mean how can the TV show ever live up to the classic movie? It doesn't...it completely surpasses it). And the second was The Fall. I had never heard about it before but it was recommended to me by a friend with similar TV tastes to mine. I then binged both seasons in about a week.

What a spectacular show. I love the slow pace. I love Gillian Anderson. I love the Fifty Shades serial killer. Great tension and atmosphere throughout. Not sure what they're gonna do in season 3 but I have complete faith in everyone that put this phenomenal show together and look forward to finding out.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't watched last night's yet, but if it's more of the same then I might not bother.

One thing I don't get is why they're keeping a psychopathic sexual predator on the same ward as one of his victims (of the opposite gender) without any sort of police guard.

Suspension of disbelief: zero.

It's so unbelievably fucking slow now, and all the main cast are now putting in such excruciatingly understated performances most of the time that I have no idea what the characters are thinking or feeling.  

Spoiler

What the hell is going on with his teen superfan?  I swear literally nothing has happened in any of her scenes since her acid attack.  LIterally, not figuratively, nothing.

It's like molasses, but I'm still watching because I haven't a clue where it's going to go. Special commendation to the BBC for completely ruining the cliffhanger from episode 3 via the iPlayer still for episode 4.

I don't much like the angle with his nurse, that seems a little unnecessary with Katie and her bottle of Jif Lemon still in the mix. But the whole notion of Spector as a 'normal' man having to come to terms with his crimes - if that's what's happening - is intriguing.

This heavy, dreamlike lack of tangible progress probably wouldn't wash anywhere other than the BBC, would it? So that's something. I imagine they've lost some numbers, though.

It seems to have gone beyond ridiculous now. Nursey seemingly falling for him despite being on the same ward that the woman he kidnapped was on. It also doesn't seem to matter what time the police or anyone else visits him, she is the only nurse that appears to be looking after him....day or night. 

Gillian Andersons voice is getting quieter and quieter to the point where soon she will probably only use sign language. And I don't really give a shit about Spector...I couldn't give a toss what happens with him now because they have dragged it out for so long.

I agree it has been way too slow this series. Hardly anything has happened.

Spoiler

As already mentioned, Spector being on the same ward, literally about 10 yards from his victim, was silly.

Not only that, but the nurse they assigned to him as well.

"Hello, we have a dangerous serial killer with a preference for young, hot brunettes. Which nurse can you assign to him?"

"How about this young, hot brunette?"

"Great idea!"

On 20/10/2016 at 21:23, FishyFish said:

God, this is torturously slow.

Hide contents

It's been like watching four boring episodes of Casualty.

<_<

Just watched the third episode and said the exact same thing to the wife. Good to know we've more of the same to come! This is so fucking boring now.

God, this is my first experience of The Fall after hearing good things. So boring, but I've still sat through all 4 episodes waiting for it to get good. Now I'm at the point where I'm two thirds of the way in so I might as well see it through to the bitter end! Rubbish.