Forza Motorsport 5 - Official Thread

No night, no weather, no storefront, no auction house - err so what has it got then ?

All confirmed tonight on Twitch by Dan.

Paints and tunes can still be created and used, but painters and tuners are paid according to usage.
The game will 'learn' what kind of paints you like and will direct them to you.
It was suggested that Drivatar cars (ie AI) will use community paints/liveries. - That's cool
Oh, and Dan was unsure about existing wheel support, said he wasn't the best man to ask. - Thrustmaster official wheel incoming apparently. I reckon fanatec may have been dropped as they are considered too small or somethin.
Disappointing news about weather and night, but kudos to Turn 10 for being up front about it now.
Edit: not sure how true this is, but it was hinted by Dan that all material shaders used in the game can be used to paint the car, eg full brushed aluminium finish, full carbon finish. Maybe leather cars? Sounds daft.
Edit 2: ALL cars are Autovista now. This possibly/probably means a vastly reduced car roster from FM4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584531

Makes you wonder what the hell they have been doing those "10 years in the making" if they are removing features instead of adding them.

I'm wondering if they've completely re-written their physics engine from scratch if they're doing open wheelers. Or they've written a new one to handle OW and all the other cars. Its certainly possible as its already been done before.

But would mean them not having enough time to port the cars over so would explain them not having more cars. Then they can reintroduce the features later as selling points i guess.

Kinda gutted about the wheel situation and is another nail in my decision really to go PS4 (although to be fair theres loads!)

They didn't nail the FFB in the last game properly anyway but i'm not paying out anymore for one game.

That said, they've not said what IS supported which is silly.

If they're trying to appeal to simmers as Dan suggested they need their game to support multiple wheels including the CSR/E else no simmer will touch them.

Sad really, i'm sure it'll be a nice game. But one i'll unlikely be getting :(

well colour me disappointed by the no night time and no weather stuff i was hoping would make this series fresh again - i'm sure it'll be a good/great game but at the end of it it'll just be forzas same old recipe which i have to admit i haven't been in love with recently like i used to be. none of the gameplay i've seen or anything really excites me THAT much or looks different and exciting and other than the tire wear which i thought had already been in forza before, albeit not visual? forza is starting to be really samey. (expected i suppose after so many) and the open wheel cars won't change that for me

it leaves me also wondering if they've been rushed with this, the fact they aren't even moving forward to night racing and weather really leaves me baffled, and a jump i thought they'd take and were waiting for this xbox to take

how many cars are we likely to see in online races on this? and how many actual race tracks? also in boozys post i imagine the number of cars will take a hit too in game as well as the removal of other stuff and it wants to guess want paint jobs i want :( hopefully they pull something out to surprise us as i'm losing desire here! i know they'll still be working on stuff, it does look gorgeous and everything but i want a bit of grit to it aswell, proper racing on proper tracks

Had this have been a the ultimate Forza I reckon I would have bought an Xbox One on launch. Forza 3/4 have spent more time in my 360 than everything else combined. I desperately wanted weather systems. A bigger roster and the ultimate store front. Looks like I will be defecting to PS4 and GT6/7 for my sims and Drive Club for my Gotham/NFS kicks. You were fucking awesome Forza guys'! All of you, Even Meerman!

It is a new engine to allow for 1080p 60fps & now open wheeled cars. I think it will be less a continuation of what Forza 2, 3 and 4 were where each game built upon the previous one. Forza 5 is them starting from scratch again with a lot of re-thinking of what worked and what could be improved.

It is a new engine to allow for 1080p 60fps & now open wheeled cars. I think it will be less a continuation of what Forza 2, 3 and 4 were where each game built upon the previous one. Forza 5 is them starting from scratch again with a lot of re-thinking of what worked and what could be improved.

I desperately wanted it to have weather effects. More so than day/night cycle.

I worry its all sat there and will be slowly milked out through DLC Car Packs

@7min, discusses the new track capture rig - <6mm accuracy - all old tracks (and new tracks) recaptured for better accuracy.

Also the career menu:

n8afPGt.jpg

Closer inspection shows this

Kw7bf5p.jpg

Spa?

rzBsEi8.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/12/e3-just-a-taste-of-forza-5-is-enough-to-blow-our-minds-w-video/#continued

While games like The Crew and DriveClub certainly had us drooling over the possibilities of next-generation gaming systems, it wasn't until we got up close and personal with the upcoming Forza Motorsport 5 that we realized just what will be possible in a racing simulator. After a brief demo play of the new Forza, as well as a in-depth look at the title from some enthusiastic Turn 10 developers, we're more amped than ever to play the game for real.
To start with, the graphics in Forza 5 are nothing short of mind-blowing; the game-play presentation is far and away the best we've ever seen, and the power of the Xbox One is brought fully to bear in the "Forzavista" mode. Fans of the franchise will remember that Forzavista allows one to walk around and virtually sit in a vehicle; in previous instances, this lavish presentation was only available for a select group of vehicles, but in Forza 5 it'll be on tap for every car. ("Every car" will also include open-wheel racecars, we're told, for the first time in the history of the franchise.)
The expansion of Forzavista has happened, without much doubt, as a reflection of the pride of workmanship from the dev team. Said team has used a concept called "physically based materials" to render details of vehicles that we've never seen in video games to date. Slight orange peel in body paint, grooves on brake rotors, even realistic machined edges on the spokes of wheels all stand up to close inspection. These cars are art, complete with imperfections that end up bringing them closer to the physical world. Scroll down to keep reading and see what we mean.
Driveatar is a cloud-based computer learning and modeling system that allows Forza to do away with traditional AI completely.
Perhaps even more mind-boggling than the detailed modeling of vehicles is the way in which Forza's new "Driveatar" (a portmanteau of "driver" and "avatar") works. Essentially, this is a cloud-based computer learning and modeling system that allows Forza to do away with traditional AI completely. Whenever a player races in Forza 5, the data from that race is uploaded automatically to the cloud. Each driver's style and racing choices (do you like to block or drive casually, apex early or late, etc.) is recorded. With a model of each Forza 5 player thusly recorded, the system turns each individual Driveatar into a racer for opponents across the world. So, instead of racing some finite number of responses and styles, represented by a traditionally programmed "bot," each race in Forza is essentially being run against the quirks and uncertainties of human opponents – even if those opponents happen not to be playing just then. It's radical, nearly creepy stuff that makes sense of Xbox One's "always online" functionality.
The four years spent developing Forza Motorsport 5 has been time well spent.
While we were only on track with this limited Forza 5 demo for one lap in the monstrous McLaren P1, and while the Turn 10 guys admitted that the physics model isn't 100-percent baked right now, we are nevertheless stoked about the driving experience. The team has been working with a super-advanced research lab called Calspan to lock-in true-to-life mechanical modeling that hasn't existed before this. Tire wear, specifically, is both elemental to the feel of a car on the road over time, and particularly challenging to recreate accurately in-game. This is largely because sort of "normal" game events – ridiculously high levels of slip angle, for instance – happen outside the normal parameters of racing and driving, and have therefore never been accurately modeled by groups at performance tire companies. The end result of all of this work is an epic experience in terms of grip under load, as well as a stronger feeling of real mass for a vehicle than we've ever had before.
The four years spent developing Forza Motorsport 5 has been time well spent, if our first go-round is any indication. Scroll down for a look at some gameplay video, and stay tuned for furth

I'll say this, Dan doesn't talk bollocks.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/Open_Wheel_6_11_13

For the first time, “Forza Motorsport 5” will feature historic grand prix racing cars, including the 1976 McLaren M23 and the 1976 Ferrari 312-2 cars driven by James Hunt and Niki Lauda, respectively, during the 1976 season. These models are the same cars featured in the upcoming Universal Pictures film “Rush", directed by Ron Howard, and will be available in Forza Motorsport 5 at launch. In addition, IndyCar race cars will be making their series debut in Forza Motorsport 5. The game will feature cars representing four of the top teams in the IZOD IndyCar Series: Andretti Autosport, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, Target Chip Ganassi Racing, and Team Penske.

http://youtu.be/TclhSAfOZQI

JohStewartBOOM_zps6fa3980d.gif

There goes the Boom.

659fc3ed-6ed1-47a9-b8e5-5e9594262fc3_zpsf07d25b1-7160-4b9f-97b7-6b5ce2612bd6_zps428e80c9-02bb-4f33-b833-7e2e8dbce705_zps48aed190-8bfd-454e-b620-6b92bc3288bb_zpsd8fbea21-cc16-472b-85bb-730eb821c704_zpsd55115f0-5174-40fe-8f0a-b1399787f43e_zps

1ae17d10-21f8-4910-aae0-179a948644cb_zps

The videos Col posted look very very nice. I really want to play this, I really, really want to play this. I hope all the other negative stuff people are talking about (XBONE, not Forza 5) turns out to not be as bad as everyone thinks. This looks and sounds fabulous.

Drivatarts - in one of the videos DG was saying that your driving style and performance is held in the cloud and used to influence/develop the AI. Am I understanding this right? Did he also imply that once enough data is got, your cloud-self can then become an actual AI opponent in others and your own 1 player sessions? That would be pretty cool I think, having your name as an entrant in other peoples races, earning exp for where you finish etc. Would be interesting to race yourself.

If they're trying to appeal to simmers as Dan suggested they need their game to support multiple wheels including the CSR/E else no simmer will touch them.

You mention this a lot, what in your eyes is a simmer?

The drivertar cloud stuff should be able to predict your lap times too then, if it works as I'm understanding it? That could open up a whole new line of rivals type competition, trying to best your predicted lap times on new courses etc.

I hope it does work well, I think its an interesting concept which could lead to developments we haven't thought of yet.

Most simmers i know on forums use wheels. So i'm just saying they need to support them properly and not force people to buy another wheel.

Cool, just wondering.

I consider myself to be a fan of simulation racing games (PC, Console, Wheel & Pad) and just wondered why their appeared to be some sniffyness towards GT6 & Forza 5.

I've got a wheel and I've played a heck of a lot of Forza since 3, probably more than I've played any other game (except maybe Advance Wars, but if I could play Forza on the pot, I wouldn't have been playing AW) but I exclusively use a pad these days. Does that make me a simmer or just a Forza player? I dunno. I haven't ever played A pc racer. So not a simmer I guess.

Cool, just wondering.

I consider myself to be a fan of simulation racing games (PC, Console, Wheel & Pad) and just wondered why their appeared to be some sniffyness towards GT6 & Forza 5.

Oh i'm sniffy about anything and everything racing game but i do try and be fair. If a game has its heart in the right place i'm rarely cynical and will fight its cause! :)

I think many simmers are a negative bunch of whiny kids as well - see my postings on VR in defence of pCARS.

Anyway I'm not really that sniffy about GT6 and Forza 5 but i did feel their FFB was wrong when compared to my own driving and sims. thats not being snobby, its just stating annoying that firstly we don't even know wheel's will work, and secondly if a small company from Italy (Reiza) can get the physics good and FFB nigh on perfect, theres no excuse from either T10 or Poly.

But that is pretty much the only real negative thing i think. Oh and i hate GT'5 "passing" races. Thats crap too.

But thats it. Honest.