Need for Speed: Rivals

McSpeed

A rough back of a fag packet piece of maths has this running maxed at 1600p using about the same power as what's in a PS4 on my PC (about 45-50% utilisation of a single Titan running at around 800Mhz maths fans). This could easily have been 60fps on the next gen machines.

Possibly. Did they know that two months ago?

I got the pc one. I too was annoyed with the huge wait time till you can actually play it. When you finally do play it, I had serious slowdown ( my pc should lay it fine at highest settings) and even changing the settings down did nothing.

It feels very slow and well, I eventually got it running ok but the 30fps is something I'm struggling to yet past . I don't like the fact you can not pause either.

So anyway I downloaded hot pursuit for a fiver and have had much more fun with that ( couple hours multiplayer too) and on max settings it looks great.

Are there any XBox One players here? My autolog is pretty barren. I'm Metal Slug One.

I'm playing this on the Xbox One if you want to add me.

Quite impressed with the Kinect integration on this - when things gets frantic being able to say "GPS Hideout" to plot a route back to base is really convenient

Sign up to the location based friends recommendation feature and it will try to compare you with people that live in the same city as you. You can add them as 1st party friends too.

I did that and it found 2 people in Milton Keynes (my nearest large location), neither of whom seem to have set many times to beat. Will add those who replied, thanks.

Can't decide whether to get this for the PS4 next week. Some people are loving it. Others are saying it's not very 'next gen' and is a bit lacking in places.

Well my Xbox One version is now on ebay... I'd say if you've go Forza, don't touch it. The visual difference between the two is startling...

Well my Xbox One version is now on ebay... I'd say if you've go Forza, don't touch it. The visual difference between the two is startling...

That's a bit of an odd comparison isn't it.

They are bound to look different given the gulf in scale, genre and content.

:facepalm: I actually wrote the above comment thinking I was in the ACIV thread and that he was comparing Forza to it!! Don't even know what thread I'm in anymore.

Still I suppose the point still stands.. Forza and NFS are very different beasts!

Yep I think you would have got away with that one!

Actually - it goes wrong. It really slows down at times - its not working right. Maybe on ultra my rig can't handle it. It plays better without the command line.

It has to be a solid 60fps because when it dips it slows down as you've seen. To do with the way the game works, not sure if they could patch that if they wanted to. (well ok they could but it might not be worth it in their eyes)

They have synced the speed of the game to the framerate. Truly baffling.

Yeah that's what i had thought had happened.

NFS Hot Pursuit seems fine, so they can't be doing it in that. You can so easily tell the different of 30fps and 60fps between the two.

On rivals, i'd be playing it and occasionally it would slow down to what seemed like 5fps and then after 2 seconds it jumps back up. Baffling.

360 version here.

I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first. This game is butt fugly. If you're a resolution/ framerate / I see dead pixels kinda gamer just move along, nothing to see here. The game is jaggier than sitting on a thistle. I'm not usually one to pick up on these things but it's undeniably rough looking.

This is being hailed as the spiritual successor to Hot Pursuit, and at first glance it appears to be just an uglier version of that classic. There's a major difference though. In HP you had an open world you could free ride around but there was no incentive to drive about. You simply went to the map and chose the next event based on progression or the auto wall times of your friends list.

In this the open world is brought to life outside of the organised events so you are encouraged to stay in your car. In fact the longer you stay in the world the more you gain progress through speed points. As a racer you earn SP, as a cop you try to take that SP by wrecking racers. It's a method which at first seems entirely in the cop's favour but it soon becomes apparent that with the help of a few upgrades and weapons added the racers can even things out.

Once you figure this out the game comes alive and you begin to realise that they have crafted the ultimate Race and Chase game. The handling is awkward at first until you realise the handbrake is only for 180s. Nitro is key to going fast, drift every corner and drive into oncoming traffic at all times. Once you have a grasp of the basic gameplay principles you get to enjoy the pedal to the metal, redline maxxing, split second escapes, over the top insanity and satisfaction of the game.

The map isn't huge, but it does have loads of shortcuts and insane jumps not shown on the maps. There aren't hundreds of cars but enough and a decent unlock system and upgrade path to ensure you won't be finishing it in a weekend.

Now the interesting part. The game is designed around an online free roam model where you share the map with 5 other players. This gives the potential for crafting your own scenarios whereby you can be a cop waiting by the side of the road for racers to drive by, patrol or even pretend to be a racer undercover until you decide to hit the red and blues.

Now if like myself you were brought up on a diet of Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, the Cannonball Run and Vanishing Point you have found your next favourite game because it delivers. Race after race and chase after chase the game provides non stop adrenaline fuelled car chase heaven.

The cars sound like the engines are about to explode, the tyres squeal and smoke and the cop sirens give it the mad woos at all times.

You can be in the middle of a chase and start a race, you can use all manner of upgradable weapons to shake or bake your opponents.

I'd read that after GTAV this game would probably be a bit dull. I'm glad to say they have nailed it.

I've been mucking around with that FPS command line for the PC and when you try and run it all on full settings 1080p etc.. it chugs then goes ridiculously fast drops speed and then chugs again - as we knew already.

however, ive dropped the resolution back step by step and stopped at 1440 x 900 because it started to stablize quite nicely. took a few of the effects down to medium / low and its pretty much stable.

Much more so than the first ever 360 release of Most Wanted in fact.

oh and i had to play with the values too to stablize the car view. fps 50 and force sim at 38 is the most stable i can get it.

i can get away with 50/40 as well. once you bring 60 back into the equation it goes to jelly.

...so im running at god knows what? :lol: but it looks pretty trick.

360 version here.

I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first. This game is butt fugly. If you're a resolution/ framerate / I see dead pixels kinda gamer just move along, nothing to see here. The game is jaggier than sitting on a thistle. I'm not usually one to pick up on these things but it's undeniably rough looking.

This is being hailed as the spiritual successor to Hot Pursuit, and at first glance it appears to be just an uglier version of that classic. There's a major difference though. In HP you had an open world you could free ride around but there was no incentive to drive about. You simply went to the map and chose the next event based on progression or the auto wall times of your friends list.

In this the open world is brought to life outside of the organised events so you are encouraged to stay in your car. In fact the longer you stay in the world the more you gain progress through speed points. As a racer you earn SP, as a cop you try to take that SP by wrecking racers. It's a method which at first seems entirely in the cop's favour but it soon becomes apparent that with the help of a few upgrades and weapons added the racers can even things out.

Once you figure this out the game comes alive and you begin to realise that they have crafted the ultimate Race and Chase game. The handling is awkward at first until you realise the handbrake is only for 180s. Nitro is key to going fast, drift every corner and drive into oncoming traffic at all times. Once you have a grasp of the basic gameplay principles you get to enjoy the pedal to the metal, redline maxxing, split second escapes, over the top insanity and satisfaction of the game.

The map isn't huge, but it does have loads of shortcuts and insane jumps not shown on the maps. There aren't hundreds of cars but enough and a decent unlock system and upgrade path to ensure you won't be finishing it in a weekend.

Now the interesting part. The game is designed around an online free roam model where you share the map with 5 other players. This gives the potential for crafting your own scenarios whereby you can be a cop waiting by the side of the road for racers to drive by, patrol or even pretend to be a racer undercover until you decide to hit the red and blues.

Now if like myself you were brought up on a diet of Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, the Cannonball Run and Vanishing Point you have found your next favourite game because it delivers. Race after race and chase after chase the game provides non stop adrenaline fuelled car chase heaven.

The cars sound like the engines are about to explode, the tyres squeal and smoke and the cop sirens give it the mad woos at all times.

You can be in the middle of a chase and start a race, you can use all manner of upgradable weapons to shake or bake your opponents.

I'd read that after GTAV this game would probably be a bit dull. I'm glad to say they have nailed it.

Sounds ace, and presumably on next gen it aint fugly, certainly looks nice enough on the youtube vids I have seen.