Need for Speed: Rivals

McSpeed

*360 version write-up*

Well put, Boozy. The 360 version appears to be a lot uglier compared to HP and MW indeed - I recon they focused development of next-gen versions of Rivals.

I'm a tad disappointed to learn the game world in the next-gen version is apparently limited to 6 human players as well, according to the EDGE review (7/10). Still, with a couple of dedicated forumites on PS4 in a few days, this should make for amazing scenes and fun :)

As fugly as it is I've been glued to it this morning. Being a cop is brilliant.

There's an app available that allows you to interfere in friends games to either help or hinder them but it's not available as yet on the Uk apple store. It also gains you some unlockables.

It's a shame the forum will be fragmented over this with people playing on different formats but hopefully there's some folks willing to get some games on each. The racing and chasing is full of pad gripping moments and the satisfaction in nailing a racer or escaping the cops is top stuff.

Well put, Boozy. The 360 version appears to be a lot uglier compared to HP and MW indeed - I recon they focused development of next-gen versions of Rivals.

I'm a tad disappointed to learn the game world in the next-gen version is apparently limited to 6 human players as well, according to the EDGE review (7/10). Still, with a couple of dedicated forumites on PS4 in a few days, this should make for amazing scenes and fun :)

Mmmm, hype -1

Isn't the autolog thing cross format for times etc?

Apparantly it was for Most Wanted, though it's a bit odd - I'm wouldn't be surprised if you would be able to go quicker in the PS4 version due to a visually and overall improved experience.

Still, that's just Autolog. The direct multiplayer stuff is platform-restricted. I was hoping for at least 8 (or 12) players on next-gen systems.

Isn't the whole point of the alldrive thing though that even if a session is limited to 6 players you constantly come acrosss new racers as you go making the world seem a lot more populated than it actually is?

In TDU you only had 8 players but it changed as you moved around the map.In this the same six players stay on the map until they leave, so it's not really doing what TDU pioneered. It also goes a bit wonky when the host disconnects. you can set the game to single player in the options but when it initially loads up it will force you into a public room. You can also make it private/ friends only as you'd expect.

Also a wee hint for racers, upgrade your car's durability as soon as possible or you will get really fed up with the cops busting you with ease.

FOR PC OWNERS.

This should make win you...

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0

In a command line/batch file.

I use this, almost the same, but it works perfectly for me, 1600p, 60fps, subtle reference to next gen. ;)

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

Might be a silly question but are you supposed to always be chased by cops when you play as a racer, even when you start a normal race challenge?

Found it a bit hard to concentrate on driving and winning a while with 5 cops and a helicopter chasing me all the time, especially since they were ignoring the people I was racing against. A bit unfair if you ask me.

I thought the heat level were to be reset once you started some sort of challenge.

Now the interesting part. The game is designed around an online free roam model where you share the map with 5 other players. This gives the potential for crafting your own scenarios whereby you can be a cop waiting by the side of the road for racers to drive by, patrol or even pretend to be a racer undercover until you decide to hit the red and blues.

Now if like myself you were brought up on a diet of Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, the Cannonball Run and Vanishing Point you have found your next favourite game because it delivers. Race after race and chase after chase the game provides non stop adrenaline fuelled car chase heaven.

The cars sound like the engines are about to explode, the tyres squeal and smoke and the cop sirens give it the mad woos at all times.

You can be in the middle of a chase and start a race, you can use all manner of upgradable weapons to shake or bake your opponents.

I'd read that after GTAV this game would probably be a bit dull. I'm glad to say they have nailed it.

This just sold me on going to buy this today. Thank you. Some of my favourite movies right there, glad to see some Convoy love! :hat:

The cut scenes suggested there was FAR more cars to race against at one time. Maybe this improves in SP.

Yes, I presume the devs limited the number of other players compared to their original plans, as the cutscenes clearly show more than 6 human in spots. Maybe they'll patch this up a bit and raise the player cap sometime after launch.

Playing on 360. Being a cop is fine, but playing as a racer is very frustrating. Had to restart/try again on several events when the cops busted me just short of a hideout.

Oh, and just a tip - keep an eye on the mini-map for the double arrowhead signs, these are the jumps. If it is grey, you have not jumped it. If it is white, you have already tried it - and you will see a white dotted arc plotting the trajectory of your best jump.

I asked in the main PS4 thread but think it got lost.. Pre-release I'm sure I saw mention of a two player mode with one using the DS4 and someone else on the Vita. Has this made it to the final game?

If so how do you enable it?

Also are the EA/Origin servers working now?

I asked in the main PS4 thread but think it got lost.. Pre-release I'm sure I saw mention of a two player mode with one using the DS4 and someone else on the Vita. Has this made it to the final game?

If so how do you enable it?

Also are the EA/Origin servers working now?

This never existed, unfortunately. The infamous Twitter exchange where a producer said yes to a question about it was him misinterpreting the question, it appears - read it again and you can see how what he was answering could be pretty ambiguous about second screens if you didn't know the context. The video showing a second player on a Vita was another guy playing another copy of the game, it seems.

One annoying thing about this game is that it's peer to peer, with host migration which takes ages and sometimes fucks up the event you're in when the host quits. Definitely needs dedicated servers.

Edited by Eighthours

That's a real shame :(

..and I was just a victim of that host migration issue. Was in first coming around a final bend only to get migrated to another server which saw me rejoining in 3rd! If that's a frequent occura xe it's going to be a big issue!

Other than that though everything else see to be working a treat now.. Although the career progression stuff is puzzling me a bit at the moment too.

Time to get start tackling some Autolog challenges I think ;)

That's a real shame :(

..and I was just a victim of that host migration issue. Was in first coming around a final bend only to get migrated to another server which saw me rejoining in 3rd! If that's a frequent occura xe it's going to be a big issue!

Other than that though everything else see to be working a treat now.. Although the career progression stuff is puzzling me a bit at the moment too.

Time to get start tackling some Autolog challenges I think ;)

It's only happened to me "during an event" only once so far...

It's only happened to me "during an event" only once so far...

Noticed that you can still set sessions to Private etc, so that should hopefully cut the potential for that down. But suppose you miss out on the racing with randoms element which has its pros and cons.

Must admit it scared the crap out of me earlier when I was tearing along in a time trial only to have 2 other randoms and a shitload of cops coming burning around the corner head-on. Certainly wasn't expecting it.

Definitely starting to get that Hot Pursuit vibe from some of the events though... look forward to some racing with you guys soon.

Might be because I'm new to the series, but I'm finding it a bit baffling. It's constantly whacking stuff up on the screen with stupid videogamey names like 'Speedwall' and 'AllDrive' and half the time I haven't a clue what it's talking about. Helped in no small part by the total lack of decent manual. Stuff is unlocking all over the place, and my God, the cut scenes and voice over is the gringiest I've heard in a long time.

Good job the actual racing is so much fun.

Might be because I'm new to the series, but I'm finding it a bit baffling. It's constantly whacking stuff up on the screen with stupid videogamey names like 'Speedwall' and 'AllDrive' and half the time I haven't a clue what it's talking about. Helped in no small part by the total lack of decent manual. Stuff is unlocking all over the place, and my God, the cut scenes and voice over is the gringiest I've heard in a long time.

Good job the actual racing is so much fun.

I'm with you, I played yesterday afternoon and Bradigor was in the map somewhere at one point, but I had no clue what was happening. I joined some pursuits, but the appeared to be AI. It's funny when you pass another player and they're weaving offroad and smashing grapevines over as the lose control, didn't manage to interact with them except for some guy in a cop car (so was I) and we just kept ramming each other before pootling off in opposite directions.