IGNORED

Dying Light

Rsdio

So, I'm not great at games. I do OK, I've been playing them all my life and I'm not actually retarded. I didn't get stuck in FarCry 3 or 4 on Medium (and blew through FC3 on hard and whatever the extreme difficulty was afterwards), but FarCry 1 gave me enough trouble that I couldn't be bothered to play it any more. I enjoy playing through games, rather than playing the same 5 minute section a dozen times.

I'm very early on in Dying Light (bought it a few months ago, haven't had time to play), got the quests of 'check drugstore for fake antizin', 'find some antiseizure meds' and 'give Dawud a gun'. All medium. I haven't fucked anything up so far. I tried the drugstore quest, got attacked by all the dudes like I assume you're supposed to, and got fucked *so hard* that I wonder whether I was doing something wrong. I was nipping in and out, trying to plant a hit, then move out of range; using my kicks to stop them dodging, climbing on top of the van briefly when I needed to recover some stamina. None of them were down when I died and was unpleasantly surprised to find that they dock me XP for it.

Do I need to spend a while grinding on zombies before attempting literally any quest? Because that's dull, given how little durability any weapon has and how little damage they do- it's a case of walking into a fight with a dozen pipes in your bag, finding a likely-looking corpse, beating it a bit, tossing a pipe, beating it a bit more, walking off while you recover, then rinse and repeat.

There is no need to grind whatsoever. To kill those people making fake Antizin just use molatovs. Hell, there is even a propane tank in the yard, just whack it, pick it up and lob it to create an explosion. Going toe-to-toe with humans is always tough because they dodge and hit hard, so find another way.

Gave it another crack (having modded out the death penalty) and it took another 4-5 deaths to see that mission through. Can't be bothered. Does anyone find that experience fun? Was particularly irritated when I jumped down on one guy, knocking him over, whacked him in the skull 4 times and then had to stop for a breather while he got up and started wailing on me. Humans arbitrarily dodging or blocking most of your attacks when you can't do the same is pretty cheap too - feels like they have about the same amount of health as me, but *many* more defensive options. Plus every time I tried it, another weapon and a half and a couple of medkits got tossed, so even without the death penalty (which it turns out removed literally all of my survival points) it got harder and harder.

I did use the propane in the end, thanks for that tip. But every combat takes a medkit or two and medkits compete with molotovs for components so I couldn't use any molotovs.

Now modded it to make fatigue less crippling and get rid of weapon decay, and am experimenting with increasing the percentage of hits which break limbs. It's a lot more fun, but I'll miss out on multiplayer. L4D did melee fatigue well: it was there to stop you making an invincible wall of kickspam in a shooting-based game. And I can get behind weapon decay if it's there to make sure you're refreshing your inventory every couple of missions, using what's available and so on: not if you have to wander round with a dozen lead pipes in your backpack because the average zombie skull is harder than the pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

This has replaced Borderlands at the moment as our Tuesday night group co-op game and we are all absolutely loving it, I was a bit sceptical at first thinking it would just be another Dead Island but I'm really happy I was wrong.
Finding new and entertaining techniques to handle situations and helping/hindering the group just isn't getting old.

Brilliant game and one I'm very pleased to have taken a chance on.

It's kind of telling how much we f**k about in it that we've been playing once a week for several weeks and are still only about 15% in to the story;p

Edit: Tunisia, I think you are missing out on using the environment to your advantage, there's almost always another way to kill things other than with your weapon, e.g throwing gas cannisters, using spikewalls as a goal to boot zombies into or burning / electrified areas. I barely ever end up actually going toe to toe due to other skills (like vault) or spaming elemental throwing stars, camouflage to loot etc.

Dlc looks great fun.

Bozak ? So many wack emcees they get the tv bozak / I ain't even gonna call out your names 'cause you're so wack.

Game is scary as shit, still afraid to go out at night. Take a sample from a bloater at night aye right watch me.

Game is brilliant but revolting. We gang kicked a zombie till his guts fell out. The horror is off putting after too much for me. Still delivers laughs in co op. Meerman's obsessed with it, sick puppy.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Boozy%20The%20Clown/video/2086356

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this, enjoyed it a lot. Played on the PS4 and saved loads of 1 minute videos as I played, chopped and edited the videos into two compilation videos backed by Big trouble in little china music.

I'm now playing new game+ and have got to the arena fight with the demolition zombie and it is taking very little damage this time, frustrating.

Humans arbitrarily dodging or blocking most of your attacks when you can't do the same is pretty cheap too - feels like they have about the same amount of health as me, but *many* more defensive options.

If you hold left, right or back and press jump, you dodge the same way they do. Apart from that all they can do differently is block, When they're blocking constantly, just kick them or let them take a swing and then dodge/counter it.

If you hold left, right or back and press jump, you dodge the same way they do.

If you have the dodge upgrade. Similarly, grappling looks helpful, once you have the upgrade. Maybe I goofed by going for dropkick before any of the seemingly essential upgrades.

When they're blocking constantly, just kick them or let them take a swing and then dodge/counter it.

Kicking either doesn't interrupt their attacks, or they can counter them (because whenever I kicked them I was immediately getting nailed while they showed no sign of feeling it).

Edit: Tunisia, I think you are missing out on using the environment to your advantage, there's almost always another way to kill things other than with your weapon, e.g throwing gas cannisters, using spikewalls as a goal to boot zombies into or burning / electrified areas.

Quite possibly. I was fetching Gazi's mum's chocolate or whatever and there were 6-10 zombies loitering outside the shutters I needed to get under (they were mainly shut so obviously I had no way of knowing how long it would take to open them or whether I'd shut them behind me). Didn't have any molotovs, because they compete with medpacks for resources and every death costs me 2-3 medpacks while I desperately try not to die. Didn't see any explosives around (can you really expect gas canisters on every corner), they all move far too slowly to use firecrackers to lure them away, so it was a case of dropping down and waiting for them to come at me. If I weren't using mods it would have taken me a huge amount of time to work my way through them.

I am honestly trying to enjoy it, which is why I keep posting here- there's clearly something I'm just outright not understanding which is stopping me. For example, when I started playing Smash Bros I just got endlessly juggled because I didn't know that rolling and airdodging existed: now it makes up 90% of my gaming.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished up the main story, 39 hours played fact fans, the other night night and really enjoyed this game, a lot of fun just hammering through zombies with a high powered weapon.

I was looking through the stats and stuff and saw the section about "The Whole Story" and it flagged about 10 side missions to complete that part so i decided to head back in and wrap that up. I've got two left to do and I've hit an issue in that "Total Security" is glitched and the prompt to start the mission doesn't bloody well appear.

Looking online seems to be a common issue but with no fix at the moment, are they working on a patch at all?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this myself. Went for the collectors edition from eBay, which is nice. Unfortunately the statue arrived broken though.

Really enjoying the game. Found it tough at first, but once you get the better weapons and improve your stats, it become a lot easier (and more fun).

Think I'm near the end story wise, but will be doing everything as well to get the platinum trophy.

I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with this. The parkour really helps separate and distance it from other open world games, and I don't think I've seen a zombie game so well realised. The bleak emptiness of it all is absolutely dead on.

But going back to the parkour. It feels right. I never had a problem with using the right bumper to jump and grapple, and now I'm getting used to it I'm leaping and bounding across rooftops and terraces fluidly and with finesse.

Messed about with upgrading my weapons a bit which is also a lot of fun. Conducting fluid and electric weapons is a current favourite!

It seems like a great mixture of stuff from other games but with lots of unique ideas of its own. A bit like Shadow of Mordor in that respect.

Good stuff. Night runs though, fuck that.

Is the DLC any good?

Unfortunately not. The biggest chunks of it just plonk you in a new, small location, throw a load of zombies at you, then finish. It's the lazy kind of 'arena' DLC that most people hate, which is a shame as the main game is excellent.

Oh that is tremendous news, this has become the firm favourite Tuesday Night co-op game by miles love it. We've only just reached 50% through the story but almost maxed on skills.... like I said much messing about, catch the petrol bomb is a good game, especially at night.

Yeah I tried everywhere and £25 is the cheapest I could find, even secondhand. Worth every penny mind.

I was baiting volatiles using an electric fence trap last night. Absolutely terrifying, particularly when they manage to come through into the safe zone a bit.

Second favourite game this year so far after Bloodborne.

Having brilliant fun with this so far - I'm only a couple of hours in after doing a few main quests and one or two side quests.

It's too much fun just dicking around drop kicking zombies in the face.

I'm absolutely dreading the first proper night time - It was bad enough when you have to peg it back to the safehouse for the first time before it gets dark!

Yeah I hardly ever gp out at night if I can help it.

Combat in this is so solid and satisfying. I would say best first person mêlée combat since Condemned. The shotgun is super satisfying too.

Oh and those towers are evil. I don't think I've ever experienced vertigo in a game to such a degree.