IGNORED

Boycotting the bone? Come on then tell us why?

second to none

by your rational MS stating 15 exclusives in the 1st year trumps the Sony reveal if you're including E3 teases.

Which is a weird thing for you to pick up on when I've said it's a meaningless figure when you aren't showing them or announcing them. Sony own enough studios and have enough established exclusive partnerships they can publish at least 12 by themselves, without any third party exclusives.

Number of exclusives means nothing if they turn out to be not very good. The 360 launched with a bunch of exclusives, none of which especially great. The ps3's initial exclusives were hardly amazing either. Numbers of exclusives are irrelevant, it's quality that counts. Announcing a random number is not trumping actually announced and shown games. It's just pointless willy waving.

It's not hard, you make it very easy. Would you like to talk about unemployment and laziness again? That really was something.

What would that have to do with what we're discussing here? Oh, you're just being an idiot for the sake of it. Well done.

How's about telling me why you're vying to be leader of the Xbone gang, rather than bringing up irrelevant subjects with the aim of trying to insult me?

Whilst it would be nice to believe that this announcement was to get all the chasing the nebulous mainstream audience stuff out of the way first and that E3 itself will be a powerhouse of great looking games and features people actually want. I remember a few years ago at E3 when they held a dedicated Kinect launch event, everyone said it was so they could devote their main E3 conference to things gamers would care about. Instead we got this.

1276597865259.gif

Whilst it would be nice to believe that this announcement was to get all the chasing the nebulous mainstream audience stuff out of the way first and that E3 itself will be a powerhouse of great looking games and features people actually want. I remember a few years ago at E3 when they held a dedicated Kinect launch event, everyone said it was so they could devote their main E3 conference to things gamers would care about. Instead we got this.

1276597865259.gif

I can forgive that though, as it resulted in one of the best gifs of the time:

kinectimals.gif

Call me crazy, but I think abstaining from next-gen consoles out of principle is an infinitely more grown-up thing to do than letting a company trample all over your rights just so you can keep yourself entertained with the latest toys. There's enough games out there right now to last me a lifetime, and I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Same thoughts here. I've more than 50 un-or-barely-played 360 games, and various DS, PS3 and Wii games unplayed. Plus a load of games I'd like to play that I don't have (Dishonoured, Bioshock Infinite) and untold more hours I can plow into Skyrim and Monster Hunter 3U etc.

And that's only going back one generation and ignoring my Wii U and anything else like a Steambox or Ouya that I might buy, or games I'd happily replay.

Basically, there's a fuckton of games I can entertain myself with for years to come without getting an XBONE or a PS4, and I don't think I'd be missing out.

Same thoughts here. I've more than 50 un-or-barely-played 360 games, and various DS, PS3 and Wii games unplayed. Plus a load of games I'd like to play that I don't have (Dishonoured, Bioshock Infinite) and untold more hours I can plow into Skyrim and Monster Hunter 3U etc.

And that's only going back one generation and ignoring my Wii U and anything else like a Steambox or Ouya that I might buy, or games I'd happily replay.

Basically, there's a fuckton of games I can entertain myself with for years to come without getting an XBONE or a PS4, and I don't think I'd be missing out.

Exactly. I've got a DS and a PSP, and I love RPGs - I should be okay for a good, long time to come.

I just find it weird that you're all trying to outdo each other to display your unmitigated hatred of Microsoft after most of you probably owned and loved the 360.

What's ownership of a 360 got to do with what we currently know about Microsoft's 'vision' for the future of 'gaming', Jon?

The recent patents for 'TV Achievements' and billing people for movies based on how many people are in the room; using kinect for targeted advertising; possibly giving indie retailers the shaft because they're not big enough to sit at the dinner table; draconian DRM; blocking private sales; the creepy camera that's honestly not doing a google and quietly harvesting data whilst it sits there. None of this is part of the 360 system - it's all new stuff that MS have quietly been working on.

We don't know how bad it's really going to be - only MS know what they've got planned. However, they were responsible for the vast majority of the information that has been released about their system - and what they've let slip or announced to date generally looks pretty crappy to me, so I can see why people are WTF-ing about it. Ownership or enjoyment of the 360 doesn't blind people to what appear to be anti-consumer and anti-small business plans, seemingly designed to hoover up an ever larger pile of money into an ever smaller number of massive global companies.

I think that's what people are seeing at the moment, and what they're reacting to. I like to feel good about the stuff I buy, so when we do learn the full facts about the Ones features I won't be ignoring them just because I owned and enjoyed a 360 - it's got nothing to do with it.

'We don't know how bad it's really going to be' says it all. They've only had one presentation so far, which was aimed at the mainstream consumer rather than gamers. A lot of the shit people are posting is nonsense based on their own need to be part of the Microsoft bashing crowd. I simply suggest waiting to see how everything pans out after E3, to see where all 3 consoles stand.

The reason I mentioned the 360 was that I'm finding it really weird that people seem to want MS to fail massively after supporting them for the previous couple of generations. If the hatred was based on pure fact and things were half as bad as what people were making out, then I could understand it a bit more, but a lot of it is conjecture and speculation. I just thought people had more sense, especially on here. Seemingly not and frenzied overreaction is the only way to feel part of the gang.

I sincerely hope that all 3 consoles turn out to be amazing, but if these companies listened to you lot, then they'd all be out of business.

I too, hope all three consoles turn out to be amazing, and part of that would involve not eroding my consumer rights and sticking in intrusive DRM for no other benefit than to make them some extra money.

That is not premature "nonsense based on my need to bash Microsoft" but based on clear, unambiguous statements made by Microsoft executives.

microsoft had to turn up and say that live gold isnt necessary for online play to even get me to consider buying this.

so i wouldnt say i'm now boycotting it, i just dont want it.

if all this stuff about 24 hour authentification and kinect watching you all the time actually comes to pass then i'd like to think everybody would be sensible enough to say 'no thanks', no matter what shiny new stuff they show.

Reasons for not buying one....

It's £399

The kinect camera is too big to not look stupid on top of your tv, unlike the Wii sensor bar which is almost unnoticeable.

The used game policy

Having to pay out for a gold sub to do anything online.

There's probably other things but my gut feeling is 'Nah'.

Reasons for not buying one....

It's £399

The kinect camera is too big to not look stupid on top of your tv, unlike the Wii sensor bar which is almost unnoticeable.

The used game policy

Having to pay out for a gold sub to do anything online.

There's probably other things but my gut feeling is 'Nah'.

Has £399 been confirmed? Genuine question.

The very worst thing wasn't just the confused message but it was the way they delivered that message that showed a complete lack of respect for their customers. They acted like weasels while they used PR speak, woolly language and issued patronising statements, while clarifying absolutely nothing.

The online requirement is different depending on whether it came from Don Mattrick, Major Nelson or Phil Harrsion or even the same person in two different interviews.

The used game thing I have no idea on. Phil Harrison, who I'm sure is still employed by Sony for all the damage he is causing, had a different take on it compared to the official company line but then had to rope the same interviewer back in to give it another go.

How could they not have known these questions would be the burning issue, especially after the Adam Orth Twitter drama just weeks earlier?

It reeks of dishonesty and incompetence.

It sounds like they're going to keep the 60 going so it's not all bad.

They killed the original largely because they were pissing away money on it due to the bonkers licensing agreements they signed on the components. They wanted to get rid of it as quick as possible, it's no secret the original xbox was simply to put their foot in the door. They've been quite open about it. This time they have a system that actually sells well and developers still committing to it.

The 5 more years they are currently planning on seems unlikely though. 3 perhaps. 5more years would pass Sony's ambitious 10 year plan for ps3.

Look at all Adobe software now; all needs an Internet connection to use and you are effectively paying for a licence, not ownership of the programme.

Games have just gone the same way. If they had four activation codes with each copy it would be better as you could effectively share a game with family members without additional cost.

I don't like any of this but I can see why they have done it and I reckon it but its going to stop a huge amount of sales generated by trade ins.

Uzi nailed it; since the metro dash and Kinect my Xbox experience hasn't been as good. Why no user created home screen so all the crap can be hidden away