rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

Steam Trading Cards

I can see this dumb trading cards thing getting popular as more people hop on board the beta, and I think it'll end up clogging the Steam thread in a very annoying way for the people who don't care about it.

I propose we use this thread as a separate place to post any trading requests, wants and haves, and also to beg/offer beta access. Hopefully everyone is OK with this? I'll get the ball rolling.

Have: DOTA2: Tiny

Want: DOTA2: Bounty Hunter

Got a TL;DR about what these are and what you actually do with them? I've noticed a lot of recent jibber jabber about them in the Steam thread, but I don't quite get it.

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards Should tell you what you need to know.

Basically, cards drop while you play games, you trade them with other people to collect a set, then you craft the set into a 'badge'. When you craft a badge you also get a random discount on a random Steam game (I got 50% off Shogun 2 recently, not bad) and some other tat including emoticons for chat and backgrounds for your profile. It's just a bit of fun until people start buying/selling with real money, then it gets a bit silly.

We should stick what games support trading cards in the first post. I got some HL2 ones by leaving it on the loading screen as mentioned by Mortis. Didn't happen for Deadlight though.

Well, just look at your profile to see which games support it. I understand Borderlands 2 is getting them soon.

Borderlands 2 already has them. So does Don't Starve, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, and Dota 2. Don't think there are any others yet.

EDIT: Oh yeah and CS:GO, thanks Mortis

I wish you got some drops back once youve crafted a badge. Im getting to a stage where i am running out of cards to trade :(

CS:GO has them and Dead light is supposed to have gone live yesterday but doesn't seem to yet.

Someone in the rllmuk Steam group already has a couple of level 5 badges. You'd need to spend in excess of £20 to acquire all the cards you'd need for one.

I got an invite to this, it appeared in my game library, then when I clicked it it said the executable was missing. So I clicked remove local content with the plan to download it again... only it disappeared from the list and there seems no way to get it back. Anyone?

Look at your profile Timmo, do you have the new style of profile with the 'badges' bit?

Someone in the rllmuk Steam group already has a couple of level 5 badges. You'd need to spend in excess of £20 to acquire all the cards you'd need for one.

DOTA2 is kind of different, you get extra card drops based on how much money you spend on ingame items, all F2P games will work like that. It's about $9 USD per card drop at the moment I think. Again, that's fine as long as you treat the cards like a background thing and don't immediately set out to max level all your badges.

I wish you got some drops back once youve crafted a badge. Im getting to a stage where i am running out of cards to trade :(

The pop up on the badge page next to "drops remaining" is labelled "How do I earn card drops", which certainly makes it look like you'll get the oppertunity later to earn more drops beyond those that come from buying the game somehow...

Look at your profile Timmo, do you have the new style of profile with the 'badges' bit?

Um, not sure. Looks like there's some badge stuff, I've never looked before:

post-1053-0-92232500-1370164138_thumb.pn

I got an invite to this, it appeared in my game library, then when I clicked it it said the executable was missing. So I clicked remove local content with the plan to download it again... only it disappeared from the list and there seems no way to get it back. Anyone?

I had that problem with the missing executable, but found out you don't run the beta from the library. Go to settings > beta participation, select steam beta update, and restart steam.

edit: well, your profile looks like you're in the beta

Timmo go to your inventory, select the invite, then at the bottom right you select add to games library or something like that.

You will know it has worked when you are redirected to your steam profile and you can see more entries there.

what games have people been able to get cards for while leaving the game running in the main menu?

I did the Beta participation thing and it seems to have worked - I now have a badges page which is telling me to play Half Life 2 (only participating game I have), guess I should get TF2 as well if it's easy dollar.

That's your proile page Timmo, what happens if you click "Badges" - or from the menu at the top of Steam

post-11679-0-10197700-1370164561.png

Do you get something that looks like this;

post-11679-0-42173500-1370164570_thumb.p

Edit - Oh you got it :)

DOTA2 is kind of different, you get extra card drops based on how much money you spend on ingame items, all F2P games will work like that. It's about $9 USD per card drop at the moment I think. Again, that's fine as long as you treat the cards like a background thing and don't immediately set out to max level all your badges.

I dread to think how much people are spending in that game if it take $9 to qualify for one more imaginary card.

I did the Beta participation thing and it seems to have worked - I now have a badges page which is telling me to play Half Life 2 (only participating game I have), guess I should get TF2 as well if it's easy dollar.

You can get DOTA2 for free and idle in the menus for cards if you really want too.

I dread to think how much people are spending in that game if it take $9 to qualify for one more imaginary card.

Or you just swap the cards with other people, or buy them for a few pence. You can swap any card for any card, so you could get all the DOTA2 cards without ever spending a penny on or ever playing DOTA2 if you wanted. The drop level resets when you craft the badge, so you can get half the badges you need for each level by idling in the menus and then swap them with people. Anyone spending a load of money on the marketplace to immediately craft all their badges up to max level is insane, rich, dumb, or all three :lol:

For anyone who doesn't already realise, once you're level 10 you have the chance of a foil card dropping in each game (as long as you have card drops for that game remaining - it isn't in addition), which currently go for ~£15. I think I'm going to try and get to 10 and see if I get lucky with one of those. With that in mind, I'm after some Don't Starve cards if anyone has any to trade.

Want

Wendy - Don't Starve

Willow - Don't Starve

Have

Gordon & Alyx (x 2) - HL2

Bring the fight to them - HL2

Salvador - Borderlands 2

Handsome Jack - Borderlands 2

Chell - Portal 2

Finale - Portal 2

GlaDOS - Portal 2

Underground - Portal 2

For anyone who doesn't already realise, once you're level 10 you have the chance of a foil card dropping in each game (as long as you have card drops for that game remaining - it isn't in addition), which currently go for ~£15. I think I'm going to try and get to 10 and see if I get lucky with one of those.

Shit, I knew I shouldn't just have sold all the cards I'd gotten so far.

How many badges would I need to make in order to get to level 10 (lvl 5 right now)?

It'll depend on which badges you're going for -- I think the minimum per badge at the moment is 5 and the max is 8. I've not crafted any yet so I'm not sure if a level 2/3/4 badge gives more than 100XP, in which case you'll obviously be looking at less cards. Have you done the Pillar of Community badge? That's a pretty easy one to get if not and will bump you up a little.

EDIT: Also, I've just been looking at my years of service badge with a suspicious eye before realising I have an old account that was registered with a retail copy of Half Life 2 in 2004. Looks like there's no way to link accounts; that would have bumped me up to level 10 I would think. I've never been so annoyed at not being able to earn meaningless experience points that are rightfully mine.

DOTA 2 and TF2 are not dropping free cards, are they? TF2 tells me I am entitled to 5 for purchasing the game, but DOTA 2 tells me I need to spend $9 to get a drop. Now, I imagine most people on here actually bought TF2 long before it was free-to-play because it was in the Orange Box, but if you picked it up only once it went free you may find that you don't get cards. Which leads me to predict that DOTA 2 badges are ultimately going to be the ones that become worth some money.

Actually you're right, it just so happened that I got 4 drops in DOTA2 to begin with, the same as all the others. You can still get the cards though, just get drops for other games and trade for them.

Drops earned by spending money in game before card set was released: 4
Drops earned by spending money in game after card set was released: 1

I have a few trading card beta invites if anyone wants to to PM me their Steam ID.

For anyone who doesn't already realise, once you're level 10 you have the chance of a foil card dropping in each game (as long as you have card drops for that game remaining - it isn't in addition), which currently go for ~£15. I think I'm going to try and get to 10 and see if I get lucky with one of those.

I faffed about with this on Friday and bought a couple of cheap 30-50p cards to finish off a set (spent £2.50) - which in turn gave me a voucher (66% off awesomenauts) a background and an emoticon (worth 50p)

Just incase anyone wondered if it was really worth buying the cards to complete the sets I'd say it really isn't - so my advice is to trade if you really are OCD enough to try collecting them all

However it did put me to level 10 and I just got a foil card for half-life 2 so I shouldn't complain too much...

Well I got 50p for each of the 4 cards Half Life 2 gives you just for leaving it on in the background for half an hour. Could probably have gone a bit higher.